B series crankshaft's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

Are all B series crankshafts the same? Just when Honda changes the stroke ratio that the connecting rod lenghts differ? I am ask cuz I am in need of a JDM GSR crank and I don't know if all B series are the same, cuz if they are, it will be a lot easier to pick up a replacement for the GSR.

the stroke is dependent on the crankshaft not the rods. You'll need a gsr crank or maybe a b18b/a/c5 crank will work but i'm not sure.

I could be wrong but I do believe the rod length has something to do with the stroke. I'm pretty sure you could use a crankshaft from a usdm gsr, should be the same. Correct me if i'm wrong guru's.

no, stroke is defently only determind by the crank shaft, no the rod legth. if you had a cylinder 1 foot tall with a 200mm diameter, and was 100*1/pimm from top of the cycle, to the bottom of the cycle, then the displacement of the cylinder would be pi*r^2*throw or pi*100^2*100*1/pi. pi's dorop out and your left with 100x100x100 =1,000,000 mm^3 or 1,000cc's. Notice there is zero refrence to the rod legth. The rod could be and inch tall or just under a foot. Only diffrence would be compression ratio and combustion chamber size.

As for your question, yes b-series crankshafts are diffrent from model to model.

For example, the only real diffrence between the ITR and CTR minus compression and some other stuff like the cams is the crank. you put a ITR crank in a CTR, then basicly get a ITR engine with a b16b stamp on it. You will have a 1.8 liter CTR. Same thing with an ITR engine. You put the CTR crank in there, then you get a 1.6 liter ITR engine.

In your case, just get a GSR crank.

So I have also read theat the type R crank has 8 counter weights as apposed to the 4 on the GSR. Is this suppose to improve the high rev range. Also can you remove the type R crank/pistons/rods and install them into the gsr block and head without having to change the deck height or run into clearance issues?

Originally posted by n1mr0d@Aug 8 2005, 10:19 AM
So I have also read theat the type R crank has 8 counter weights as apposed to the 4 on the GSR. Is this suppose to improve the high rev range. Also can you remove the type R crank/pistons/rods and install them into the gsr block and head without having to change the deck height or run into clearance issues?
[post=537352]Quoted post[/post]​

I think so, definitely, and yes.

Back