B16 Turbo, Ls Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

heterosapian

Ive finally made up my mind. Im going sir1 in the rex definately. I was just wondering if itd be worth it to sell the y1 and get an LS tranny when i go turbo. I want to beat ass around town, not just the strip. Which is better for such an application?

I'm no expert but the LS tranny has longer gears and will help you generate boost for a long period of time. I would love to tell ya how it works around town, but the god damn mechanics are pussy footing my swap right now....I HATE NOT HAVING A GARAGE!!!!

the longer gear thing is BS from the internet.

stick with the b16 tranny, or preferabbly a cable gsr tranny

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 13 2003, 01:40 AM
the longer gear thing is BS from the internet.

hehehe thats not what you were saying 3 months ago :lol:

care to explain why you wouldn't want an LS tranny? I'd like to hear this personally. I will keep my LS tranny when I boost so I stay in each gear longer...better for high speeds. hehehe

Youre keeping it because you have it, Id have to sell and search for a cable one w/ low miles. I dont want to go through all that work just to have more boring 0-60 (not slower mind you, just more boring). Shit, Id keep the ls if i had it. Heres why Id consider keeping the Y1 in a list:

#1 because the Y1 im getting has a limited slip and is coming w/ the engine
#2 the y1 has fun gearing enough to make you feel like andretti w/o going over 75
#3 Time consumption, if i do the tranny swap i'll do it while the engines out and i wanna run this sucker asap
#4 I do want it if itll help me get to 100 faster but I dont care about going over 100 unless its down the 1320
#5 I wont trade street acceleration for strip acceleration since this is my daily driver, tho the ls would net me a bit of a gas milage increase on the highway.

I'd use the Y1 until you put in the turbo, then if you have a cable LS, swap over to that. The 90-93 LS trannies had gears ALMOST equal to the GSR's of 94-2001. Trust me, my friend has a turbo GSR, and I've got my turbo b16a with a 90 model LS tranny, we shift exactly the same, and are at the exact same speeds and all when we shift. It nice, really. I jsut wish I had his Quaiffe! :)

whats wrong with our chart? :angry:
https://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=54

and the object of the game in the 1/4 mile is to top out 4th gear. cross the traps at yor peak power in 4th is ideal.

once you get faster than your tranny, its time to start talkign tire/slick sizing.

IMO, for a fast street/strip car, the gsr is the way to go.
if you are trapping over 160, then its time to use the LS
if you are running under 100, get a jdm itr

My pal here went 126MPH in the 1/4 and he was in 5th on his GSR tranny on the 22" slicks... he moved up to 24.5" slicks on 13" wheels and topped 4th at 8400 at the timing lights...

He's got one runnin ass 93 Si! ;)

From what I've read, pissedoffsol is correct. The B16 cable tranny will get you quicker accelaration BUT the ls tranny gives you the following:

Much higher top speed (I dont really care to go 180mph though...)
Better fuel economy on the freeway
And it seems (Im not sure so correct me if I'm wrong) better top end accelaration, as in your 70-120 would be faster with enough power to back it.

I am stingy, Im using my ls cable tranny, I may try to use both trannies @ the strip if I can save enough money for both after I am done building my motor and turbo-ing it. I would love to see a side by side comparison of the same car with both trannies to see what they run in the 1320.

im keeping my LS tranny as a back up for when i blow my gsr one up. hahaha

keep in mind that i need cable so an itr is pretty well out of my range (price and practicality). My main question is, how does the y1 do for boost power and is it worth it to spend the extra cash to get the ls and drop a lsd in it (keeping in mind the y1 i'm getting has an lsd already).

For boost, gimme your vote on the ls versus the y1 in acceleration from:
0-70?
40-90?
70-100?

i know these times sound kinda arbitrary but those are some pretty standard street racing speeds for my freinds and I.
thanks

Y1 will OWN any speed you race too within reason <below 120> just because of the closer ration will keep you closer to redline/maximum power.

The reason I have an LS is because I couldn't stand seeing my tach standing at attention <STRAIGHT THE F UP> when cruising around the interstate at 65-70 MPH. Roadtrips would OWN my piston rings!

Also, I'm a fiend for high speed runs. I went 150mph+ when my Civic was running peak after tuning it on the dyno. It's amazing to roll down a known, empty street that quickly! I loved it!

Tapped out, 5th gear at 9k rpm, my car <negating wind resistance> would be pushing the car up to 202 MPH I think was the speed when I plugged in the numbers. Of course, with wind resistance, it'll probably do 180 with 350 WHP. Still PLENTY to win the Silver State Challenge. ;)

Originally posted by mwasnp@Mar 21 2003, 01:54 PM
600whp owns stock trannies, is your tranny built at all b?

i'm picking it up next week sometime. it has a quaiffe Dif, other than that, stock.
i will be using DSS axels at some point as well.

as for the tranny, go with the Y1 over the LS.

for speeds, see our article for speeds based on b-series tranny's and tire size.

Back