B16a Has No Torque

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SamDimas2251985

i want to swap a b16a into a 91 CRX but it only has 111 ft/lbs of torque...is it a good idea or should i choose another motor?

man the b 16 a is a great motor for your swap - stick with it - your crx should fly with that motor

Your car is extremly light, you dont need tons of trq. If you ever want more, get better cams, upgrade the pistons and to free up some power, get some light ass 15 in or less wheels

the b16 is a great swap for a crx

Go with a B18.....any one (c,c5,B).....true you wont need tons of torque, but wouldnt you rather have it, instead of 111 lbs....thats pathetic. Torque is what pulls your car, so go b18 unless you dont want your car to go anywhere, except at around 7500 or so, then it finally hits the vtec =/

my car is 2500 lbs and my torqueless b16 is sweet.

again.. a b18 a/b will not compare to a b16 in the same car.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Feb 2 2003, 07:19 PM
Go with a B18.....any one (c,c5,B).....true you wont need tons of torque, but wouldnt you rather have it, instead of 111 lbs....thats pathetic. Torque is what pulls your car, so go b18 unless you dont want your car to go anywhere, except at around 7500 or so, then it finally hits the vtec =/

Where do I even start with this post? 111 ft/lbs of torque is plenty for a 2000 pound car, maybe lighter...Torque is good for the track, yes, but a B16A will rock in that car....As for vtec kicking in at 7500, try 4500, maybe earlier, depending on when you want it to. Compare the prices--B16A complete changeover for 1100, or a B18C1 longblock for 1500, plus axles, linkage, ecu, conversion harness, and the list goes on. True, the B18C1 will be better than the B16A, but for the money you spend getting a built B18C1 in there, for around the same price, you can have a boosted B16A.

Nice rebuttable, I thought I could have an intelligent argument here...

Guess I will try with solreaver on how the ls/t sux compared to N/A GSR :)

nah no harm meant.....i just like torque, Gobs of it.....and i never have seen a B16 around here worth a damn.Maybe i will be surprised one day? <_<

yea in a 6th gen, teg or sol, yes i would say that the bigger displacement is good but a b16 rex is fine. Considering the 2x price diffrance on the b18c's compared to a b16a1, i say a1

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 2 2003, 07:32 PM
Nice rebuttable, I thought I could have an intelligent argument here...

Guess I will try with solreaver on how the ls/t sux compared to N/A GSR :)

What is the deal with people thinking the ls/t sucks compared to a n/a gsr??

A LS running 3 psi on a decent turbo will put down as much power and a lot more torque than a stock gsr.

Here is the bottom line- throw 5K into a gsr motor, which is 1700 more expensive than the LS anyway, and you might be able to hit high 12's. Ive seen countless bone stock ls integras running 8-10 psi hit mid- high 12's.

My turbo setup cost 1700, add that to the 1500 for the engine swap and i have a total of 3200 invested. The price of a stock gsr swap. And which one do you think is going to be faster? :)

LS/T owns N/A b18c1's, as far as price and power/torque output.

Now please explain how the ls/t sucks compared to a n/a gsr?

My turbo will be installed spring break, i should have timesilps by then as well. Anyone can feel free to run their n/a gsr at the strip and we can compare slips :)

Originally posted by SolReaver@Feb 2 2003, 08:03 PM
Ive seen countless bone stock ls integras running 8-10 psi hit mid- high 12's.

A bone stock ls integra with turbo != bone stock.

While a N/A GSR can run 12's constantly, only a handful of properly tuned LS/T's can accomplish this. It's all about money vs. time--LS/T is cheap (not to be confused with cheap quality, it is a great setup) and a GSR is 2900 shipped, but I can say the same for a B16A and B18B--you pay 3200 for the setup, I pay 1100 for a B16A SiR changeover, and I have 2g's for turbo, nitrous, N/A whatever--so that is uneven...Plus by the time your turbo spools up, vtec will be kickin' in for me and I'll be so far down the track :p

You can always just put some N20 in a N/A C1 and it will EAT the ls/t
Grant Total :
3700 for N20 GSR
3100 LS/T ;)

Plus by the time your turbo spools up, vtec will be kickin' in for me and I'll be so far down the track  :p

yeah, because the power jump due to vtec is so much more than boost :rolleyes:

and besides, by the time my turbo spools up it wont matter how much farther down the track you are :)

While a N/A GSR can run 12's constantly, only a handful of properly tuned LS/T's can accomplish this

Show me a n/a gsr that run 12's constantly, and i will show you much more ls/t's that run 12's on a fmu or a smc hack or some shit like that. Thats properly tuned, isnt it :rolleyes:

You can always just put some N20 in a N/A C1 and it will EAT the ls/t

Bring it

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Feb 2 2003, 07:44 PM
i just like torque, Gobs of it

why in the fuck are you even bothering with hondas then????????
Honda != Torque

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m+Feb 3 2003, 01:44 AM-->
nah no harm meant.....i just like torque, Gobs of it.....and i never have seen a B16 around here worth a damn.Maybe i will be surprised one day? <_<
There are a few on this board that would surprise you.And E_solsi is right if you are into gobs of torque Hondas aren't the right vehicles for you.

SolReaver @ Feb 2 2003
@ 08:03 PM
Ive seen countless bone stock ls integras running 8-10 psi hit mid- high 12's.

I was wondering about that too :huh: I know what you meant though.I think.

he never said anything about turbo.... i say go for a b18b1 and get some bolt ons....no vtec but you got the torque and its hella cheap.

wooo, half of u have it right half of u, i dont even think u drive a fucking honda. a torquey honda spanks is better than a non-troquey honda period. a b16a cant make torque, but a LS can make HP. get a turbo on it and u WILL beat a c1, thats a fact. u guys saying that a stock C1 vs a stock LS/T will have a c1 as the winner is a moron. a C1 will run mid 13's at the lowest. an LS/T will run low 13's to high 12's with different boost. also a b16a powered CRX is good, but not all honda's must be revveed to 7000rpm's to make power. I love my B18a, i havent lost to many cars, my friends b18c1/T civic a c5 civic, and 1 b16a 1st gen CRX. but thats it, ive beaten more than 2 b16a's alot of ZC's and LS's. if i throw on a 50 shot ( which is what i would like to do by end of summer) i would like to race c1's. b16's wont stand a chance. the reason is. a b16a has good HP and a great engine. but it will never make the torque at low RPM's that a b18a has, and after a few bolt on and nos( or turbo) the b18a will easily kill the b16a. i dunno who ever told u people a b16a is the god of engines, or who says u will live or die by one. but they are overrated. they are cheap power. i love the little engine, but persoanlly i hate revving to 5000+ to get power, especially in town. yes at the races its great, but who lives at the races. i like power when getting groceries, going to school and at races, thats y i love my B18a b/c i dont gotta scream around town to get a thrill of a honda engine. i admit revving to 8000 is fun, but there is barely a point to that in town. i dare u b16 people to find a person with an LS, and race them to 80m/h, u will be very supprised. thats y i love LS's, they are better and more practical for every day use.

Torque>HP anyday.

sorry but the H22 still doesnt have impressive torque numbers.... hondas are not torque heavy cars... they were never designed to be and never will be... yes with the right mods you can get impressive amounts of torque out of them (for a honda) but they do not have impressive torque figures no matter what you do with them... look at many other car companies you will see many of them have torque numbers as high or higher than the Hp numbers (and no im not just talking about muscle cars)

Back