b16a2 or h22a

Which one of these would you swap into a 92 4dr civic and why?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It all depends on how you look at it. for high end RPM power go with a b16. If you want tourqe go with the h22. If you want a easy swap, again the b16. I hear its a fun task putting a h22 in a vic. if your leaving them stock i think the b16 would fall alittle short of the h22. Remember that a motor isnt everything. if your dropping the h22 in you might need to upgrade some stuff, seeing as your putting more weight in that front end. If you throw a b16 in there i think its only a extra 75lbs...... But in the end its really up to you. The thing that threw my vote to a b16 over a GSR was the price for parts........keep that in mind....

Yall all KNOW i said H22. Its a bitch to install, but its got some insane posibilities. If you see Phillips (the owner of InterCrew in Dallas) EG with an H22, youd see what im talking about. That thing is sick. I would hate to be a Lude looking at that EG. Id just run home and cry. Go all motor on an H22 in an EG and just eat your competition. I hear it takes some serious suspension, but in the end the wow factor off the line will be worth it.

Id do an ls/v personally, its the best of both worlds. You get torque and good hp with that setup.

For the choices tho, Id do b16 then FI later down the road. H22 is a hard swap that rivals cost of a b18c1 when all is said and done.

If you want out of the box power without having to mod a good amount, go with h22. If you want a high revving motor with TONS of potential, go b16.

Among a 1.8 block and boost, either an H or K series swap has crossed my mind. I'd do the H just because.

on the ls vetec comment.....I have heard from a ton of people that you loose your high rpm which is where the power is. I also plan on putting a turbo on this motor later and in that case wouldn't it be a bad thing to loose your higher rpm's...?

Originally posted by tip@Jul 11 2005, 05:10 PM
on the ls vetec comment.....I have heard from a ton of people that you loose your high rpm which is where the power is. I also plan on putting a turbo on this motor later and in that case wouldn't it be a bad thing to loose your higher rpm's...?
[post=524302]Quoted post[/post]​

You don't necesarily lose top end power as much as you sacrifice it just a bit and then gain a ton of midrange torque. It's kind of a mix between a b18c1 and b16a2 if you use a b18a/b and an a2 head.

h22 = bang for buck

you can go pretty quick for little cost after swap

besides, everyone emphisises this whole "you can rev really high with a b series" thing. in an h, you dont have to rev high. b's rev high cause they have to.

and why does everyone think its a HUGE weight gain to switch to an H. pff, go read the referance material. All i did was switch to GSR suspension. besides, the weight dif of the H is less then an additional passenger.

H22:
+'s more potential and faster
-'s poor weight balance, Cost

B16:
+'s cheaper for mods and install
-'s everyone has one, signifigantly less torque

I like the whole B18 idea, it is the middle road, and if you want torque and "Vtec pleasure" shoot for the LS/v.

If the OP wanted to get 700hp out of an engine, I hope a b16 would be close to the bottom of his list.

i AM NOT LOOKING FOR 700 HP. more around 250 to 350 to the wheels...all motor or maybe 400 hp tops with a turbo.

I totally thought id be the black sheep with the H22 comment. I think K20 would be the best swap, but itd be hella expensive.

250whp is a stretch for a honda. unless you dont mind spendin some $. NA that is. and 350whp NA....it can be done, but i hope you dont want a car you can drive around. lol.

here's the thing. b16 @ 225hp = like 140ish tq. i think, anyone help me out here. h22 @ 225hp = 175ish tq. again, this seems about right to me.

those are ground figures. TQ makes a big difference.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 11 2005, 09:58 PM
H22 = 200 hp, 156 ft/lbs
[post=524450]Quoted post[/post]​

i was sayin, if each motor had 225whp, the approx tq would be.....

Back