B16a2 Turbo cam choices...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luis998

Honda Enthusiast
Hi all.

As of late, I have been doing a lot of research on the turbo portion of my build. I have also asked quite a few people on here for their opinions on certain aspects of my build. By the way, to all that have contributed with their suggestions, pictures and know how, thank you VERY much.

Here is the conundrum which I am faced with now. The people whom I have spoken with have given me different answers. I am including the specs to the cams which I am currently considering for my build and hope to get some feedback regarding them and perhaps what you have experienced using them. I'm trying to find the best cam for my specific application. If you have any questions about my build, please ask.

The cams listed are for a B16 head:

The first is the GSR Cams:
USDM GSR (B17a and B18C)
Intake lift 10.6mm, duration 230
Exhaust lift 9.4mm, duration 227

Crower stage 2 turbo cams: Brian Crower Stage 2 Turbo Camshaft Set B16/B18C $429.99
Adv. Dur.Dur @ .050Lift (in)Lift (mm)
290°/292°
280°/284°
260°/262°232°/234°
202°/200°
178°/180°.465"/.450
.322"/.307"
.206"/.190"11.81/11.43
8.18/7.80
5.23/4.82
Skunk2 stage 2 Tuner series cams:Skunk2 Racing Tuner Series Camshaft Set - Turbo Stage 2 Honda Del Sol - 305-05-0157$592.92
Intake: Cam Duration - 231, Cam Lift 11.0mm;
Exhaust: Cam Duration - 236, Cam Lift - 10.6mm

Skunk2 stage 2 turbo cams:https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p...amshafts-civic-b16a-b18c-1618l-dohc-vtec.aspx$625.99
Turbo 2: Street/Race Turbo cam designed for medium boost levels 10+ psi and slightly higher rpms. Ideal for custom turbo applications and supercharged applications.

INTAKE 0.433/231
EXHAUST 0.417/236

I am having a hard time understanding how a cams intake/exhaust duration/lift will affect my build, as GSR cams have been suggested for my build, which can hold around 450hp. I've been trying to find the Skunk2 stage 2 turbo cams, which were my original choice so that I could post specs for them but have had a hard time finding them. I'm also at work so my online time is multi-tasked between HS and a gazibillion other things. :ph34r: Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. :D

Last edited:
Between the Skunk2 stage 2 turbo cams and the Crower stage 2 turbo cams, which would come more highly reccommended for my build? I am still trying to understand lift and duration.

What do you mean "understand" lift and duration?

On a turbo cam you want higher lift and shorter duration than an N/A cam. The higher lift allows more air to get into the cylinder with minimal overlap, where both the intake and exhaust valves are open at same time. The shorter duration also helps keep overlap down.

Personaly, Im using GSR cams in mine. This is because they came in a fully loaded head that I bought, and because after my research they seem to be the best "bang for the buck."

That is exactly what I needed to understand, whether it was higher lift and shorter duration or the other way around. :thumbsup: I'd rep you but just like a kayak, I have to spread it around more.

I've contemplated using GSR cams, though instead I am choosing to go with cams made specifically for a turbo build. Call me old fashioned, call me crazy, call me Don Juan De Leon Don Pablo Juan Valdez Guadalupe Juanita Chiquita Banana, but those are the types of cams calling to me. :D Thanks for the info!

Now all I have to do is decipher which of these two cams has the higher lift and shorter duration.

Last edited:
Ya, those numbers are listed out kinda weird, otherwise Id be able to help you out a bit. If I get a chance Ill do some pokin around and see what kinda info I can get you.

Ya, like I said, Im just gunna use my GSR cams since I got such a screamin deal on with my top end. From what Im told theyre no slouch if you use em. Id keep an eye on local forums, you might happen across somethin worth while. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. I really appreciate the help/guidance in deciphering the "cam code". haha

I'm always on the look out on forums, eBay, Craigslist...etc. etc.

You can also use the ITR/CTR cams as well, just make sure to change the springs and retainers.....

ITR/CTR cams have a lot of duration. You can tune a lot of overlap out with adjustable gears, but the fact still remains, they have a lot of duration.

I too am personally using GSR cams in my stock turbo setup. Once I sleeve and build the block I'll be looking at something more aggressive, but for a stock motor I think these will do fine. Got mine for $50 bucks off of itrsleeper here!

ITR/CTR are not suited for boost. That's why they are found in the high end naturally aspirated motor. And as newb said, the duration and lift make all the difference. Good choice Luis

That's another reason why I would like to go with one of the other cams instead of GSR's. My block is already sleeved and I do NOT want to do things twice.

So guys, Crower or Skunk2, what do you think? I still can't figure out which one has the better lift and duration. One is $100 less than the other but still, I want the better cam.

So what kinda numbers are you looking to make? :)

I'll just say I myself once sleeved am shooting for 450whp

Calesta told me that with everything I am doing I should be well above 400whp. It's not just the engine that is getting done either, it's the whole car...suspension, brakes, type R stickers all over it...fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror...:D

lol sweet sweeeet. ya you've gotta have suspension and such if you plan on that much hp. maybe a roll cage while ur at it

Lol, Im shootin at 450 also! So far, my combo could support about 5 and a quarter, but if Im gunna make anything over 500 I might as well just see how far I can go. Then itll never end lol.

Ya i'm building for more than 450 so it's dialed down and reliable. DD 450whp... LOL.

Werd, me too. I dunno bout DD, but Ill drive it when the weathers too shitty for my Z28 lol.

Back