b16a2 vs b18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

If you dropped both engines in the same exact car with the same exact driver which engine would pull. I know there are alot of factors to take into consideration but the b16 has more hp but less tq. The b18b has less hp but more tq. What do you think. 168hp vs 142, 111lbs vs 124lbs torque. what do you think? :D

I think they are rated at 160 and 140 respectively. And I think the B16 will be faster because of the transmission.

i've read stories of b18 del sols pulling on b16 del sols. i don't know. but i'd go with the b18 cause you can always add the vtec head later :D.

Originally posted by Samba Green Sol@Aug 28 2003, 05:30 PM
i've read stories of b18 del sols pulling on b16 del sols. i don't know. but i'd go with the b18 cause you can always add the vtec head later :D.

Don't always believe what you read. A STOCK B16 will pull on a STOCK B18b because of the gearing/VTEC. And there's a little more to an LS/VTEC than "adding the VTEC head later." I'd go with the B16 unless you plan on doing some work to the B18b.

bill DESTROYED a hatch with a B16 with his B18B equiped hatch
and thats with the shitty LS tranny and ECU
if he puts another 1000 into it (tranny, ECU, header) he will be eating GSRs alive and probly running right with ITRs

Tq is your friend and its a LOT easier to make more HP than trying to make more Tq
4 out of 5 people i know of with B16 swaps have either upgraded to an LS/VTEC or a B18C#

the B16 is a fun engine with lots of potential but it just doesnt have the sack to compare to the 1.8s

God damn, I hate this kind of thread, makes me want to get a B18 and drop it in a civic and have my buddy race me in it. There is more to winning a race than torque and there is more to it than Hp. Driver skill, motors condition, yada, yada, yada. I raced a 1999 DOHC 2.0L bored over (no I don't know what to) I/H/E, 150hp@6500 and 133ftlbs@5500 (stock) with a curb weight of 2470lbs, are you ready?, NEON, in my DOHC 1.6L stock internals, I/H/C/E 160hp@7600 and 111ftlbs@7000 weighing in at 2044 pre me weight. Point is, we were dead even starting and he pulled about half a car ahead all the way to about 80mph. So see, even bigger numbers don't always add up to a victory, even though I was behind, with those "numbers" he should have been much better off.

i was with bill when we raced the sir2-powered EG. exact same chasiss...

ls putting 148 to the wheels
b16a sir2 170 at the flywheel + bolt ons

we walked him, hard 4+ cars by 70 3 times in a row. on the ls tranny
and my fat ass in it

VTEC = over-rated. id rather have the displacement

ok correct me if i am wrong but in a race like this wouldnt the outcome slightly differ based on the start, if it was from a high rpm 2nd gear roll im pretty sure the b16 would win,but from a dead stop the ls would get a bit off the line. Also since the b16 revs higher it will have to shift after the ls.

Originally posted by markiebredsol@Aug 29 2003, 04:07 PM
ok correct me if i am wrong but in a race like this wouldnt the outcome slightly differ based on the start, if it was from a high rpm 2nd gear roll im pretty sure the b16 would win,but from a dead stop the ls would get a bit off the line. Also since the b16 revs higher it will have to shift after the ls.

Actually from my experiance in the same race I talked about before, when we were turning onto the autobahn to go to "the spot", I came up beside him in second, paused for a second, revved, and gunned it, he couldn't catch up. But from a dead stop, he had the torque to carry him off the line and get into his powerband sooner, so he pulled.

i still say b16, a bottomend swap is only 500-700 away from a death GSR.

How about you take both of the motors strong points, which is a b18c,, you get displacement and vtec and decent tranny.

Milan

I'm kinda in the same boat.
I Would love to have a b18c but cannot afford it.
So its either b16sir2 or b18b. Been tryin to save and compare the two @ the sametime. Sucks being on a tight budget.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Aug 28 2003, 10:17 PM
id go with the b18b...more tq. plus you can add vtec if its that important to you.

or you can keep the b18b head and just add cams. what is vtec? a more agressive cam for the upper portion of your powerband.

To add a vtec head, you have to buy a vtec head, wire a knock sensor, and god knows what else. when instead you could have just bought a set of cams and new springs and done basicly the exact same thing or gone more agressive for lots less work/time and money.

give me a gsr tranny and i will run with almost any gsr with equal mods to mine in the 1320. bottom line is, the LS has a decent torque curve vs the gsr/si the only thing that really kills the ls is the tranny.

im with b, vtec is the single most overated thing in the automotive world... followed closely by intake "turbos"

how many pounds of vtec are you runnin? :lol:

b16 for sure, if an ls beat it, the b16 driver didn't know how to drive

Why do you say the ls tranny sucks? What the main difference between the the ls and the si tranny? RAtios seem close to me? Couldnt you put a s4c si tranny on a b18b? Here are the ratios:
b18b=s80/y80 tranny
1st: 3.23
2nd: 1.9
3rd: 1.269
4th: 0.966
5th: 0.714
6th (if availble): 0
Reverse: 3
Final Drive: 4.266

b16=s4c tranny
1st: 3.23
2nd: 2.105
3rd: 1.458
4th: 1.107
5th: 0.848
6th (if availble): 0
Reverse: 3
Final Drive: 4.4

Whats the big difference? I dont know much about gear ratios.

Originally posted by markiebredsol@Aug 29 2003, 11:07 AM

we raced about 4 times, various rolls, twice from dead stop.

the kid worked at honda with bill. i'd assume he was at least a decent driver.

he caught up at the top of his power band, but everytime he shifted, we just walked, and walked, and walked.

b16 = torqueless monster.

i'd take the LS, with a gsr tranny over a b16/b16 tranny any day.

I think it depends on the Motor and Driver.

A strong b16a and a good driver will win.

But if a mad strong B18b aka gifted motor will have a good chance to win..

it has mad torque!!! I made 99 torque and 144HP with my Stock B16a.

I think the B16a will take it when vtec kicks in but I think the LS will PULL!!! :D

hell no ive raced a couple of ls integra like me 91 and some 94-up integras. and i raped them with my 1st gen b16.
b16 all the way. :owned: :burnout: :D

Back