B16a2 W/ Gsr Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luVTEC

I've got a line on a b16a2 OBD1 SIRII, but it has no tranny. I am able to get a GSR tranny though, since this tranny(GSR) was designed for an engine with more TQ than the SIR has, will this impact my performance? should I just hold onto the GSR tranny until I can trade it for an SIR one? or will the difference be unoticable?

i believe with an sir tranny, you will get an better gearing ratio as opposed to a gsr one, which will improve acceleration. i could be wrong, please correct me if i'm wrong. i would try to get an sir tranny myself, although a gsr one is fine as well. good luck.

Chet (member on this site) had this set up for a little bit but with a b16a3 and a gsr tranny (so basicly the same set up) The gearing on the GSR tranny is a little bit longer which ='s better gas millage, higher top speed (if you ever built it up so the engine could reach 8200 rpm in 5th) but slower acceleration. How much are you spending for the tranny and engine combined?

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 3 2003, 04:39 PM
Chet (member on this site) had this set up for a little bit but with a b16a3 and a gsr tranny (so basicly the same set up) The gearing on the GSR tranny is a little bit longer which ='s better gas millage, higher top speed (if you ever built it up so the engine could reach 8200 rpm in 5th) but slower acceleration. How much are you spending for the tranny and engine combined?

so with a b16a2, the si tranny is better for acceleration than the gsr tranny?

SIRII b16a2 = $850 (USD)
GSR tranny = $355

so about $1,250 in total. The only reason I'm looking at a swap is b/c a friend of mine is selling me 5th gen civic cx for $1,700 b/c it has a blown motor.

for that price, you cant really complain. Just make sure that you replace the clutch, timing belt and water pump. Did it come with an ECU?

Originally posted by karnash+Mar 3 2003, 04:56 PM-->
asmallsol
@Mar 3 2003, 04:39 PM

so with a b16a2, the si tranny is better for acceleration than the gsr tranny?

for any engine this is true but with the GSR engine, you have more HP and Trq where the effects are less.

Originally posted by luVTEC@Mar 3 2003, 11:00 PM
SIRII b16a2 = $850 (USD)
GSR tranny = $355

so about $1,250 in total. The only reason I'm looking at a swap is b/c a friend of mine is selling me 5th gen civic cx for $1,700 b/c it has a blown motor.

Damn that's a good price,if you aren't happy with the GSR you could probably trade it straight up,or sell it for a B16's.

ECU included, its a good deal for shure.

I originally wanted the GSR tranny b/c I was going to get a b18b ls which are generally easier and cheaper to find (plus more TQ is always a good thing), but $850 for an SIRII was just to good to pass up.

Just make sure that's a hydro tranny, if you are not drag racing it's not a big enough difference between the Si and GSR trannies.

Back