B16b Civic Type R Engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

limpboy57

I was wondering if this engine would fit in a 88-91 civic hatch, and what would i need to do to make it fit/work and also pass smog?

well the major problem with this engine is getting it to start in that car. Your going obd0 - obd2 big jump.

Aside from it being a pain to get wired,it is also a waste of money,for the power output,compared to what could be had for the same money.

I should have put a camma in there or something.

It would be alot cheap to just buy a b16aSiRI and put that in your car along with some CTR pistons, cams, valves, and valve springs in there, then you basicly have a CTR. Then if you want to go further, do a Port n Polish, get a skunk2 intake manifold and then you will be happy, plus this total thing will cost you about the same as a b16b without the hassle of putting the obd2 engine in there.

if you are in california, it will be hard to pass smog on that motor, but you will at least be at obd2 which makes it easier to pass smog with.
good luck....

:D thanks for the help guys, does anyone know what colorados smog laws are?

could you even pass smog with a b16b, when they do the visual check and realize it's not a us motor.... just get a obd1 b18b or b18c1

you can pass a JDM engine you just have to put USDM emmissions stuff on it.

most states dont care if its a USDM engine... cali is just anal about that stuff so its a bitch out there ... for most states if its the same age or newer than the car its in (a lot dont really check it) and it passes the tests then its fine

yeah i never really had to be up to date on my smog shit because i live in new york, and not the city either, but i am getting kinda worried about where the airforce stations me next summer, that's why i'm still driving the hell outta my stock motor.

just keep your registration in the state it is in now for as long as possible... i was in the military... none of the people i know who did this had any issues... also know plenty of college students who live at school but have cars registered out of state and dont have issues with it... as long as your license is from where the car is registered no one will really care too much... flashing the military ID always helps too ;)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 6 2003, 11:29 PM
just keep your registration in the state it is in now for as long as possible... i was in the military... none of the people i know who did this had any issues... also know plenty of college students who live at school but have cars registered out of state and dont have issues with it... as long as your license is from where the car is registered no one will really care too much... flashing the military ID always helps too ;)

I'm hoping they don't give me grief when I PCS to the states and ship my car.Several people have done it so it should be ok.S :D rry to get off topic,but it seems it was already

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 6 2003, 05:35 PM
I'm hoping they don't give me grief when I PCS to the states and ship my car.Several people have done it so it should be ok.S :D rry to get off topic,but it seems it was already

so you had your car shipped over there (germany right)? That would be sweet, plus you could find a swap over there for real cheap (no demand)

so you had your car shipped over there (germany right)? That would be sweet, plus you could find a swap over there for real cheap (no demand) [/quote]
Actually it's kinda weird,I got the car from a civilian contractor.He got it from a German lot,who got it from a soldier who left.It still retains it's american title so that's easy,the Germans put sidemarkers on it so those are gone when I get the time.As far as the swap,it was cheap,cheap,cheap complete VTi conversion(four point brake,sway bar the works) for 1900.Mostly Americans do swaps here,but motors are still in demand,but cheaper than the states.

about the side markers, they may have cut the fender to put them in, that is how i have seen them on del Sols. For 1900, that is a great deal, when are you coming back and where are you from (in the us)

Back