B17 or B18a block for b16 head going turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KingBacis

Hello everybody, i'm new here and this is my first post, so here goes.

I have an 89 crx si with a d16z6 (R.I.P. eg4dr) and it is currently my dd until roughly december when i buy another car to take that role so i can build it. My end goal is to go ls-vtec turbo, and here are my options:

I have a B18a BARE block and a B16 head (assembled) I also have the option of getting a B17 block, bare as well but has a crank (i might trade my old dirtbike that i don't need for it as well as some b series parts needed for swap, still waiting to see what parts exactly will update) and a GSR tranny.

I plan on making it just a weekend warrior and then maybe a track car when it gets too fast to safely drive on the street. (Pedestrians and dangerous:p) That being said, what is the better block to go with? By better i mean Fully built and reliable long term. Whatever motor is decided upon will be Balanced, O-Ringed, Blueprinted, Sleeved, Bored/Stroked* and the 'losing' block will go in first for a simple all motor setup to get the swap running while i build the winner. EIther way i want two blocks so less downtime should i ever blow one.

* What do you guys recomend to be the Max Safe bore/stroke for each block going turbo? Reliability is important, but power is too, i know i can't have my cake and eat it so i'm leaning more to the conservative side if it boils down to it. I don't know what my power goals are yet because i'm aware of the fact that too much power in a fwd car will lead to serious traction issues, even though i'm doing over my suspension First (Integra) and i'm not cutting corners. I'm also planning on Quaife Lsd with Synchros and maybe an ls 5th gear. I'm not in a rush to get it done, seeing as i won't be able to start pumping cash into it till next year when i graduate from nursing school. (It pays the bills:cool:) Sorry for such a long post. Any positve feedback will be gratly appreciated, thanks.

okay so i guess i'm getting the distributor alternator and starter with the block, so i'm def gonna pick it up now. Any thoughts?

Back