b18a1 swap gas mileage problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Depriesticles

Kids these days...
I just finished my b18a1 swap in my 90 hatch and it runs and drives great...but I am not sure if I did something wrong because of the gas mileage I am getting. I had almost a full tank when I did the swap, and I have driven it for 2 days now and I am on empty. I knew my gas mileage would drop some, but this much?

Its a stock b18a1 out of a 91 teg, and I think the trans must be a b16 because of the uber short gears. Hell...I am revved to 3600 rpms going 60 mph...so that would probably account for some of the loss, but can someone tell me if this is normal for these motors? I thought my mpg would be somewhere around 23-25, but it seems I am getting closer to 12-15. Any solutions?

I have the same problem and it is just a sacrafic I had to take for the little bump in power. It does suck though because the D16A6 I had got 320 miles to the tank(9.5 gallons used:D), and now with the B18 so far I've squeed out 172 miles on 8 gallons. I should do a proper mileage test and carry a 2 gallon tank in the trunk and drive it until its almost dry. Im hoping that I can get at least 220 miles to the tank buy driving like a grandpa but thats hard to do,and the 17"s on the car doesn't help either. peace

Somethings not right im getting 290 miles on just under 9 gallons and im running a b16a in a 91 hatchback that is anything but babied

yeah, if you guys are getting gas mileage that shitty, you should have it looked at.
i have never had a honda d or b series get under 30mpg.

unless you are driving like its a race car, because its not.

sitting that high wouldnt bring you down that much.
ditch that tranny for a stock ls trans.

take it to a mechanic that can properly diag it.

Running the Pr4 ecu without the fuel purge solenoid found on the integra's firewall will consume mucho fuel, run a Pm6 and itll run better.

do NOT run the ls on a pm6. keep the ecu you have, it is meant to run the ls. end of story. something is majorly out of wack if you are getting gas mileage that terrible.

The funny thing is the samething is happening to me. I have b18b1 with a b16 tranny and I get about 160 to the tank.

I had an LS in my CRX with the LS tranny and got 39.7 to the gallon on average, last weekend I swapped in a B16 tranny instead and have not noticed a difference.

yea somthings wrong major .. calculate your milege fill your tank to the complete top set your trip counter ... (make sure your wheels and not larger or smaller than stock if you havent fixed your speedo to the wheel size that is ) ... and drive like normal once your almost emty fill all the way back up ... and divide the miles driven by the amount of the last fill up .. and if your not pushing high 20s then you got somthin WAY wrong ... my b16a with y1 trans (low gears lol) im gettin 30-33 mpg and i drive that shit in vtec half the damn time

well all this talk, and no answers. Well you can probley fix your problem with some little basic changes. Like take the plugs out, and replace them. Change the fuel filter if you didn't change it yet it prob was never changed, check dist. timing.

my car was getting like 16 miles to the gallon, stock when i bought it at a used dealer. I started at the fuel system. when i changed the plugs, oil, and rotor my gas milage became amazing. lol

i just did a b18a1 swap with gsr trans in my 92 cx hatch :) i put stalk injectors,ECU,fuel pump and i got 105 miles out a full tank what the hell is goin on??? i got a check engine light for o2 sensor but my harness didnt have a plug in for it any help guys

Back