b18b build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

inspecta83

im building my b18b for about 12psi, i already did my clutch and flywheel and now i am workin on the motor. i plan on doing the valvetrain, pistons and rods and just wanted to know what yall would reccommend as far as namebrands, specs, etc. for these 3 mods and what other mods you think should be next on my list. thanks

dont bother with valve train.

endyn pistons
eagle rods
nuformz block guard
and hondata

you will run 12psi no problem

you don't think an entire ferrea valve train would benefit him? i seriously do .... your going to need part number IC1000 from the ferrea website

SRP or JE pistions

crower rods

aluminum block guard ( you could also weld it on, machine it smooth then machine holes for the water sleve.... but that';s over kill who wants that ??? :) )

and hondata stage 4b

well..under normal circumstances i would agree that i shouldnt bother with the valvetrain, but the valves on the motor are screwed up, so i have to replace them anyway, so i'm planning to get skunk2 valves, retainers, and springs. also, i know that the ls motor is not a high rev-ing motor stock, but i was just wondering what i could do in order to make it safe to rev high.

as for the hondata...i was plannin on getting a 2b

Originally posted by sprfreek@Oct 2 2002, 02:48 AM
you don't think an entire ferrea valve train would benefit him? i seriously do .... your going to need part number IC1000 from the ferrea website

SRP or JE pistions

crower rods

aluminum block guard ( you could also weld it on, machine it smooth then machine holes for the water sleve.... but that';s over kill who wants that ??? :) )

and hondata stage 4b

Why pay 2X the cost of Eagle rods for the Crower name? I would take the Endyne roller wave pistons over either of those listed. Hondata 2b will be sufficient if you know a shop near by with a stage 4 to tune yours.

if you're doing all that, you should be able to handle more than 12 psi, drop your CR to like 8.5:1 :)

what about cams i herd the right cams can spool you up faster?

Crower makes a turbo grind for the LS, I don't know anything about how they perform. I imagine that many cam manufacturers make a turbo grind for the LS, just do a little looking. The stock LS cams should be a fine starting point.

I don't know where you could get the cams from, I have never purchased non-Honda cams. You can get Eagle rods and Endyne pistons here.

EDIT: I am also unsure of the best place to buy a block guard.

how many psi at the most would u run on b18 with pistons rods block guard and honata?i know i would also need more than that.

im thinking about 15-20. im trying to make up my mind if i should go b18 or b20

i spent the whole day today lookin for a valvetrain (valves, springs and retainers) for my b18b that was all the same namebrand and i found out that only ferrera and crower make this valvetrain kit for my motor (i think crane does too). since ferrera is kinda out of my price range i was wondering what you guys think about crane since that is the only choice that i have. thanks

Originally posted by PLRacer@Oct 2 2002, 02:52 PM
im thinking about 15-20. im trying to make up my mind if i should go b18 or b20

See the post in "What should I swap?"

Originally posted by PLRacer@Oct 2 2002, 12:19 PM
how many psi at the most would u run on b18 with pistons rods block guard and honata?i know i would also need more than that.

Everyone want to know how much psi they can run with this or that! I will say this once! IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT SIZE TURBO YOU PLAN ON RUNNING! A TD05-12A@15psi pushes 320CFM's. A TD05/6-18G@15psi pushes 600CFM's. Almost twice as much! You could lets say run the 12A at 10psi safely, but once you swap it for a 16G (that pushes 505CFM's@15psi) you could only run it at 6psi safely. So from now on we need to see X turbo with Y motor! This would help get accurate info!

to my knowledge, crower is the only turbo cam maker for the ls.
theres even less support for springs/retianers/etc for the ls head. why? its pointless. the ls was no meant to rev in the first place- so why do it? furthermore, why do you want to rev higher with a turbo? shift and make boost again. with the ls tranny, you will be in gear long enough anyway, and there's no vtec range to fall out of.

if you want more free flowing- focus on breathing- not valbve train. cams, yes.. springs, retainers, no.

also, if you are doing valves, as you said yours are shot- make sure they are done correctly. you can't just drop in new valves.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 3 2002, 04:05 AM
to my knowledge, crower is the only turbo cam maker for the ls.

crane cams (www.cranecams.com) makes a turbo cam for the ls. its their stage 3 'number #14' cam.

Turbo applications

This profile features our unique ”split duration” lobe profile design (exhaust duration is less than intake duration), ”spools” turbo faster for quicker boost/response

Reduces turbo lag time

Strong mid to upper rpm range when boost applied

Use intercooler and low restriction intake/exhaust

Use new valve springs

RPM range 1,500-7,500

Back