B18b Or B16b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ECTuner

I have a b18b with 68K on it in my 95 Civic Coupe.
I have the chance to get a b16b with 25k on it.
My delema is I can get a vteck head for the b18 or get the b16 for the same $$$$.
About $2500 Installed with a 99 si tranny i already have.

I have a DC header, Skunk2 cam gears, Carbon fiber intake, and tanabe cat back.

Im a JDM freak So I am leaning toward the B16b.

Thanks for any opinions you have.

Well its Vtec first of all, I would go to with the b16, but most will tell you that it doesnt have the low end to pull that car around, its pretty much up to you and what you want, to do with the car. I have a b16 in my 90 integra and i love the fact that i can rev in to 8 grand.

I would convert the B18 you already have to VTEC. You'll have probably a similar amount of horsepower but with a lot more torque.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 10 2003, 06:37 PM
I would convert the B18 you already have to VTEC. You'll have probably a similar amount of horsepower but with a lot more torque.

i would do the same.

b16b is a great motor - but you already have a decent platform from which to build up upon

Thanks Guys, Ive got about a month to get my mind made up. I do love the torque of the b18.
I have the option of gsr head, CTR pistons, ITR cams, JG/edelbrok Intake.

Does anyone know about the torque and hP of the Gsr/ls combo? ive tried to find it myself but with no luck.

i know this engine( the b16b) has run 13's with full interior.

Your guys are really helpful and thanks again. :worthy:

There is no set level of torque or power for an LS/VTEC setup- it's all custom, so it's different every time. At worst though, you can assume that you'll gain slightly on the compression (calculate with difference in combustion chamber sizes), and you'll have a head that breathes better to higher revs- so you can calculate your horsepower based on a -slightly- beefier torque curve and higher revs. Do the math as a best guess.

B16B running 13s with full interior? Which car? The weight of the car and the transmission setup really matters in your quarter mile time.

He had a JDM Hatchback. Hes goin away to war and is selling everything. All that is left is the complete type R engine. I just spoke with one of his pals and he said he did take out the back seat, but that was it. Ill try to get more info if yall want it. The engine only has 25K. I think the real issue for me is that I would be able to say I have a Civic Type R engine. lol

I dont really race at the strip, and the car is a daily driver.

again thank u guys for all the input. This is the only forum ive been able to get a straight answer.
The others always try to make you feel stupid for asking.

Hondaswap is by far the best ive seen.

that would be baller to have a CTR motor or the b18 block with CTR head

Yea right you guys are no help, between b16, you, b. adam and a few others have me so confused about my suspension set up :p :huh: :blink:

:p :p :p

Just run solid tie rods between your upper and lower shock mounts... you'll have super stiff handling, and no worries about shocks wearing out, no worries about ground clearance under compression...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ls/v tec engine r great motors but only if u build the bottom end cause if not they die quick cause the stock pistion dont do good with high compression but ls block r so nice with nos

Originally posted by puffy00@Feb 14 2003, 02:02 AM
ls/v tec engine r great motors but only if u build the bottom end cause if not they die quick cause the stock pistion dont do good with high compression but ls block r so nice with nos

You're not raising the compression much if you use the stock pistons, and it's not the pistons that typically fail in a bad LS/VTEC buildup. If you're saying that the pistons won't hold up to the higher compression from converting the LS block to VTEC, what makes you think that they'll hold up with nitrous, which puts even more stress on the internals of the engine? A 50 shot in an LS is more abusive to the pistons than the .35 points of compression you gain by strapping on a B16A head!

By the way, it's nitrous, not NOS. NOS is a brand name and stands for "Nitrous Oxide Systems".

Back