B18B1 into 98 EK Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18EK Hatch

I have been researching on many forums but am getting conflicting information, so I was hoping someone can lead in me in the right direction. ( yes I have been on google, honda-tech, ozhonda...etc)

So far I have purchased the engine, all mounts including the b16 ac mount, axles, ecu, halfshaft, tranny, shift linkage, CX racing radiator and slim fan, LS stock intake box, flywheel, clutch, and injectors.

What I need to know is...
1) Do I need to buy a B-series AC compressor? Or will I be able to use my d-series compressor with the b16 AC mount?
2) Do I need to purchase different throttle body cable? If I do, will i need one from an Civic Ex or and LS?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Use the si ac compressor. U might be able to use your old one but u will need the si brackets. u can use your old throttle body cable no problem. Im pretty sure im right on all that. add any more questions if u have them. good luck. do lots of research and talk to a shop around you.

Wait!!! If you plan on running your factory(D seriers) AC get the 96 del sol ac mount that way you wont have to get the b seriers ac compressor. Throttle cable may have a problem, but they are cheap new at the dealer if you do run into a problem. For my swap I had to buy the gsr throttle cable since i was putting in a gsr into my ek.

Wait!!! If you plan on running your factory(D seriers) AC get the 96 del sol ac mount that way you wont have to get the b seriers ac compressor. Throttle cable may have a problem, but they are cheap new at the dealer if you do run into a problem. For my swap I had to buy the gsr throttle cable since i was putting in a gsr into my ek.

I meant get the del sol VTEC ac mount.

Thanks for the responses. I think I am ready to do the swap once I finish the rebuild on the motor.

I just picked up the b16 ac mount. The b16 ac mount and the del sol vtec ac mount are the same one according to the honda dealer.

Or you can use the CR-V one!! Remember the CR-V is just one big EK.

Here is a pic of the mount it self:
DSCN4226.jpg

did the b16 ac mount work fine with your d seriers ac compressor?

I haven't started the swap yet. Right now the ls head is at the machine shop getting rehone.

I will update once i start on my swap.

did you have a d-series a/c compressor bolted up to it? i've heard that the bolt pattern on a crv compressor is the same as the d's, but have not witnessed it myself....

i believe that you need a b16/del sol vtec ac mount for the d-series ac compressor to mount up. other b series ac mount will may not work, I could be wrong...the hasport mount looks exactly like the b16/del sol ac mount.

no im just finished my swap about 2 weeks ago if you have the b16 ac bracket you will need a B SERIES a/c compressor becasue i tried fitting mine i wont bolt on at all 2 hole will align but then itll mount on slightly off so i used an ls compressor

i used my civic compressor on my b18 bracket. 2 holes line up and had to cut a slit in the compressor to get the 3rd bolt to line up. i only have 3 bolts holding the compressor on and havent had any probs with it and saved me $100 or so.

i dont have pic but if you tighten the two bolts that are closest to the pulley you can see what has to be trimmed to get the 3rd bolt in (the bolt on top not on pulley side). if you are all ready planning on buying new compressor just try it and you are not out anything but a few minutes if you mess up.

Fact if you plan a B series into a EK and want AC you need the Del Sol Vtec AC bracket. The Del Sol that has the B16 in it. The 99-00 Si AC bracket has the same part number. The B18b/c bracket will not work with out some work lol. This will bolt right up to your 96-00 D16Y AC compressor.
I need to know if the B16 from a SiR OBD0 briver side mount bracket will work with the B18b into an EK swap?? This is the bracket by the timin belt that is bolted to the block, will this one work on a EK? Or do I need one from a 99-00 Si??? Please Help.

Last edited:
joshcrewdson: thanks for that link. VERY helpful. im in the process of swapping in an ls-v into my 96 civic coupe and i was a little confused on the mounts. thanks for clearing that up. im just going to buy a full set of em1 mounts and the em1 ac bracket

quick ?........ my car is currently automatic. i am going to convert it to manual. will this affect any of the mounts that i need to use?

Back