B20 Swap for the Old Man.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

57papasol

Pondering a B20 swap in my 96 del Sol S. Motor is just a matter of buying. Trans I’m a little confuse. Other than B16 shift linkage. Will a Y21 do the job or can I go a lest expensive route. I really just want a little more cruising and passing speed. Come on help a old man out on his first Honda swap. Did plenty of big blocks in the 70’s but this a different game.:mullet::mullet:http://images.hondaswap.biz/images/smilies/icon_mullet_r3.gif

i would just get a grs trans, its the best of both worlds.but the y21 would work also its just a little bit shorter geared.

Last edited:
you need a del sol vtec shift linkage. not just any b16 shift linkage will work on the del sol.

b16 trans on a low rpm motor sucks. you're basically tach'ed out near 85 mph... egaderating a little, but way out of the nice fuel economy mode.

The gsr trans splits the bill well- its in between the b20/ls and the b16 so you still get some speed with some daily gearing in mind too.

Another option is to take a b16 and throw in an ls 5th gear in it.

A OBD2 manual P75 ECU (B18B1) will run that motor fine.

Your chassis and new motor are both OBD2 so your Del Sol engine harness should work just fine. (may need to extend a few wires).

Mounts.....in 92-00 Civics....their mounts work except the rear trans mount. I'm guessing this transfers to the Del Sol. But not sure if it's a 94-01 Integra or a 99/00 Civic Si rear mount. Someone more educated should chime in.

Does it need a OBD2 B18B1 intake manifold to clear the hood? B20 IM are pretty tall but I don't know Del Sol clearance.

If this swap is similar to my EG....I would consider swapping a B18B1 in it.

Last edited:
if I recall, b20b is ok, b20z is taller and won't fit anything.

It's not the block that is an issue....it's the Intake Manifold. A VTEC head takes care of that.

B20 swap

Lost my Password. Bitch. Anyway thanks guys. I got a better idea. I have found a B20z but the tranny is next. And the linkage I think I can still order. All it is time and money, Right?:D

Back