B20b In Crx Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxsi

anybody know how to wire a b20b engine in an 89 crx si?? im still looking for the best engine to swap. i am still thinking of a b18a but the one i found was $600 for the engine alone. then i still have to find an ls tranny or another compatible 5 spd. i can get a b20b for $800 and id rather get that for a couple hundred more but i dont have a clue how to wire it. should i stop dreaming of a b20b powered rex and go with the b18a?

thanks

what obd b20, if it's a obd1 then i'd consider converting to obd1, in that case all you do is just plug in all of your sensors like normal, an dget a obd0-->obd1 jumper harness for your ecu get the b20 one

the crv b20b. I think its obd1??? i just am wanting the most for my money. a b20 powered rex would be awesome. should i forget this and go with the b18a? or save up more for b16a?

You wouldnt happen to know if an automatic b16a has different transmission mounts than a manual?? i could buy a b16a but its got the pathetic auto and i was wondering whether i could put an ls or other b series manual without a prob.

thanks

its an obd2!!! what can i possibly do to convert to that?

does anybody think a old ass b20 prelude dizzy would work on that, then use a b18a intake manifold and injectors??? and just use a pr4 ecu? it's a idea, i'm not exactly sure about the dizz

the EASIEST thing to do would be to buy a b18a integra ls head, and swap it on the b20 block. the heads are indentical for the most part, and it will go right on. all you relectronics will plug right in too (or at least they should). that, and b18a heads are cheap. and you can sell the b20 head.

everything should plug right in, just use your old obd 0 injectors, forget the head swap, as the motors get newer they just add sensors, if they take them out, they replace them with nice little plugs that you can easily un-screw so just plug in all your old sensors, were they are supposed to go, if they are missing from the new block, take them from your old block, grab a 90-91 Ls ECU, and grab a 90-91, LS Distributor, see how the arms match up, if you need to do a little cutting drilling do it, if you need a couple of washers to clamp it in, use them, you might wanna get an OBD 0, or OBD 1 b series intake manifold for less of a head ache, then you should be strait.

Gary

u must want to be different bad!
all that trouble for a b20 (and the cost)
get a chep b16 about 1300 for engine trans ecu with 6 months warrany.

and ur will to pay 800 for a b20
I would pay 600 for a b20 vtec
just ask people about all the problems they have at the track

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Jan 9 2003, 01:45 AM
everything should plug right in,

i didn't even think of that... you're right. if anything, its over-plugged for an obd-0 ecu

Originally posted by tomtom@Jan 9 2003, 03:52 AM
u must want to be different bad!
all that trouble for a b20 (and the cost)
get a chep b16 about 1300 for engine trans ecu with 6 months warrany.

and ur will to pay 800 for a b20
I would pay 600 for a b20 vtec
just ask people about all the problems they have at the track

You make it sound like the b20 is a POS-

I would rather have a b20 than a b16- why? Torque...

Ive driven b16's, and it sucks having no power until 5K+rpm. You have to beat the shit out of the thing to get it moving. Besides, theres a b20 del sol here, completely stock (even exhaust) running 14.8xx. A b16 sir2 in a del sol with hondata, and a bunch of itr/ctr parts runs basically the same.

Good choice with the b20. Torque ownz

thanks for the info. the only reason i want the b20b is for the torque! All hondas lack is in the area of torque. Sure i could nos or charge it for nice torque gains but an engine and turbo right now arent possible. only the engine is.

anyways, so i have to swap all the electrically run stuff on the b20 engine from a b18a in order to make it obdo, right? Injectors, distibutor, ecu ...anything else? any reason i cant use my stock si ecu?
Then i have to find a manual tranny. if i use an ls tranny with its long gears it should help me stay in my torque band better and longer. any thoughts?

thanks

yea its easy, they have B18 manifolds all over the junkyards, go with the 90-91 B18 complete manifold, and youd be done, proly get it at a junk yard for 40-50 bucks, the obd (0) b18 manifold is exactly the same as the B16a manifold, exactly

Id totally stick with the B20b, there torque is off the hook, plus youll be set for if you ever wanna go with a CRVtec

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jan 9 2003, 04:52 AM
[Ive driven b16's, and it sucks having no power until 5K+rpm. You have to beat the shit out of the thing to get it moving. Besides, theres a b20 del sol here, completely stock (even exhaust) running 14.8xx. A b16 sir2 in a del sol with hondata, and a bunch of itr/ctr parts runs basically the same.

Good choice with the b20. Torque ownz

no power under 55k rpm is what we want (do u know what the price of gas is!!!)

If ur looking for power
why not the stock crx si motor (just change the headgasket to a metal one)
and a cheap greddy turbo kit 1400 out the door.
u ill be alot faster than that 14.8 b20

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Jan 9 2003, 12:46 PM

Id totally stick with the B20b, there torque is off the hook, plus youll be set for if you ever wanna go with a CRVtec

I m not sure what people are doing wrong but the b20 vtec s are bending valves and blowning up

I saw one run then motor started to tap
(sur enought it s the valve)

Originally posted by tomtom@Jan 9 2003, 08:34 PM

no power under 55k rpm is what we want (do u know what the price of gas is!!!)

hahahha, i know it's fuckin sick. that's what i worry about too, damn i'm gettin old. and they are only gonna get worse, i gaurantee gas prices will go up temporarily 50% when all this shit hits the fan overseas opec is gonna give us the shaft.

So would it be feasible to take a 92 integra LS, and JUST put the b20 short block in? using all the b18a1 components (head, intake, distributor, harness, tranny etc...)?

to do the b20 swap all u really need is a 0bd1 integ intake man. and u just use the stock crx wiring if it is an si i did a b20 swap on my friends car with a b16 tranny and his car walked mustang cobras pretty bad sometimes.. one thing that we did do was rechip the 0bd1 integ ecu and i made a obd0 to obd1 adapter that was a pain to make but the final result is a car that bang gears all around minus the top...and putting the b20 in the integ is a good option but u might want to concider chipping ur ecu for more fuel..or getting a fuel air controler

*big ass worthless pic removed*

Hi, I have a 1990 civic hatch with a B20, I wired it...I will not lie, it isn't easy. Since you already have an SI it will be easier than mine, Just use your D16 Distributer (that is what I am using). Wire using one of the many web sights....It is exactly the same as wiring an LS (same engine, aside from some internals). Also notch the rear crossmember just in front of the rear motor mount, you'll notice that there is a lip that sticks out about a half inch...cut the lip off the same width as the LS rear motor mount. I used Place racing mounts and the motor went right in.

Back