B20B turbo selection

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Digging through the posts, I haven't found what I was looking for...so here goes:

I just finished a B20B swap with an ITR tranny into my EK hatch. It's faster than it was, but there is always a need for more. I was considering turbo, but, like everyone else, I am on a budget. I don't want to go overboard with the setup, but I want it done right the first time. I am not looking for 400whp. This car is setup for autox right now. Too much horsepower is unnecessary. I need something that will spool quickly, and not be hard to keep in boost while autox'ing. 200whp is plenty for what I need. And I don't plan on revving higher than 7200 rpm either. More importantly - I would like to keep my engine as stock as possible. I have already spent too much money on this project. Is there any way to do this while keeping the stock injectors, fuel pump, cams, etc. I'm OBDII, so chipping is out. Is there a junkyard turbo with my name on it?

edit: water-cooled would be tits too...

Originally posted by sureshot007@Jul 25 2005, 10:01 PM
Digging through the posts, I haven't found what I was looking for...so here goes:

I just finished a B20B swap with an ITR tranny into my EK hatch. It's faster than it was, but there is always a need for more. I was considering turbo, but, like everyone else, I am on a budget. I don't want to go overboard with the setup, but I want it done right the first time. I am not looking for 400whp. This car is setup for autox right now. Too much horsepower is unnecessary. I need something that will spool quickly, and not be hard to keep in boost while autox'ing. 200whp is plenty for what I need. And I don't plan on revving higher than 7200 rpm either. More importantly - I would like to keep my engine as stock as possible. I have already spent too much money on this project. Is there any way to do this while keeping the stock injectors, fuel pump, cams, etc. I'm OBDII, so chipping is out. Is there a junkyard turbo with my name on it?

edit: water-cooled would be tits too...
[post=531083]Quoted post[/post]​

if you're gonna skimp thru your turbo setup..you might as well not even boost...fuel is VERY important..and with stock everything..you're gonna be leaning out...my advice to you...since your doing autocross....is to go N/A...get a nice set of cams..build the head a little,to handle the lobes,and the lift,and duration...get a good header...2.5'' exhaust..hi flow cat...and get the car tuned..because waiting for that turbo to spool up around those turns,is gonna kill you...just build up the b20...the stock torque on it should be enough to get some good autox times.

So, slightly off the forum topic but - would you recommend doing a vtec head that's p&p, with a set of cams (crane, crower, etc) and a new intake (skunk?) - or what about supercharging it with a Jackson Racing LS kit?

If I wanted to do the small turbo, could I get away with just swapping injectors?

if you're going for autox, torque is your friend.

IMO, your best bet is to tear open the bottom end... get some 11.5-12.0:1 compression 84mm pistons on a stronger rod.

right there, you're going to gain a shit lod of power.

from there, you can piece-wise your head together.... either going to a vtec conversion, or simply building up the b20/ls head with valvetrain and some cams.

since you already have the b20....i would do the conversion...just because its a 25-35 hp gain with out P&P or cam upgrade......but staying nonvtec could save you some money.....

BTW what tranny do you have

I don't have experience with bottom-ends, so the idea of tearing it apart scares me a bit. Wouldn't the small turbo get me to the same place with little lag?

I have a second-gen Y1 tranny.

errr just read the first line of the post....

just by the way you posted how you wanted to do your turbo setup, you shouldn't turbo your car.

if you want, you can pay me $3k, and i'll come blow your motor up for you. it will be about the same end result.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 26 2005, 12:02 PM
if you want, you can pay me $3k, and i'll come blow your motor up for you. it will be about the same end result.
[post=531378]Quoted post[/post]​

I came here to ask a legitimate question about a recommended setup for my goal. I appreciate all the help I have recieved through this website in the past, and I hoped to continue it into the future. Maybe I didn't explain myself enough in my initial post, but I didn't come up in here wanting to make 500whp on stock internals. I want 5-6psi of boost. I didn't think that would be an issue with the 8.8:1 c/r of my engine. My car was out of commission for the past 3 months while I pieced together the whole swap, so I don't exactly want to pull the engine already and build up the bottom end. I am looking for something that I can piece together and install on the weekend. Alot of stuff that you specifically (pissedoffsol) have posted here has helped me out immensely. So lets try this again:

goal: 200hp
restrictions: budget (of course), reliability, fast spooling (but low psi), I would prefer not to build up the bottom end.

If I was going to build up the engine with the pistons and such, I would just look into getting a Dart block and do it the right way to begin with. The vtec head is an idea that I have been kicking around, but I wasn't sure about the cost/benefit of it compared to the turbo setup - that's why I am asking.

drag= FI
autox=NA
and this could also be argued but whatever

but if you need to have a turbo...and fast spool......get an 18g or the t3 from an svo or something..

1 psi of boost + stock fuel = boom.
ok, maybe it will hold 2...

YOU NEED to add fuel enhacements to your car when you boost. there is no if, ands or buts about it.

if you want to keep your fuel system stock, you cannot turbo your car and have it run.

and more so, you're building the car for autox.

trust me dude-- stay all motor. i race autox too.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 27 2005, 08:49 AM
if you want to keep your fuel system stock, you cannot turbo your car and have it run.
[post=531841]Quoted post[/post]​

I revised my requirements and I said that I didn't want to build the bottom up, but I realize that I have to make changes to the fuel system. What do the stock injectors handle? Upgrade to som DSM injectors? New FPR? What does the stock fuel pump handle?

Back