B20vtec In a Hatch reliability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vietec

okay u guys probably think i am stupid for asking this but, i been hearing a lot about h22 is not good in civics hb cuz the engine is too heavy for the car, but was i was wondering about b20 engines, isnt it heavy also for a lightweight car like civics. Is it possible to make a b20 civic hb good for daily driving. Plus i also read the article https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...act=ST&f=1&t=11
but i am still wondering if its reliable after swapping Parts from other B series engine like SI, CTR, ITR . please reply.

If you are after a straight up drag car. The H22 is the perfect thing! Anything else the h22 would throw your handling way to shit!

the B20 is pretty much just a B18 block with a different sleeve material so they can make the wall thinner ... the weight is about the same as a B18... no handling issues... also an H22 is still ok for daily driving as long as you put the higher rate springs in ... i just wouldnt try to push it hard through twisties or autocross with it... the understeer is too much for that

hm. im surprised calesta hasnt replied yet. he'd love to tell you about how reliable his b20/vtec setup is..! i -think- he's over 30k miles now and he's just as happy with it as the first 500 miles B)

Originally posted by slohnda@Oct 18 2002, 08:07 AM
hm. im surprised calesta hasnt replied yet. he'd love to tell you about how reliable his b20/vtec setup is..! i -think- he's over 30k miles now and he's just as happy with it as the first 500 miles B)

Yup. Will be 40k by the time I make it to Dallas this morning, and one year exactly. Very happy. :D

B20 Dosnt have the potential of an ls vtec. The B20 has a smaller stroke then if you were to get the gsr stroker kit and put it on the LS block. If you use a strait ls vtec, it dosnt have as big of a stoke as the GSR. I would get an LS block and use a B18C-5 head and use the Crower stroker kit for the gsr. It also comes with 2.0 pistons, so you have to get your cylinders bored .20 over. Check out Crower.com for more info on the kit. Theyll ship it out to you with a knife edged crank if you ask. H22 is too heavy for Fulll Drag. Not to mention the fact that you cant get as many parts for it as you can a GSR. Look at all the people in IDRC, almost all of them are running a B18C, you wont see any H22's.

B20Z is almost the same block as an ls Not B20A or B20B which come out of a 88-91 Prelude as well as the B21A

No, no, no, the B20 has a longer stroke than an LS. The GSR's stroke is smaller than the LS. The C5 head would be a waste of money for an LSVTEC, you might as well buy the entire motor for what the head will cost. The stroker kit from crower increases the stroke (hence the name) and can leave the bore stock. You don't have to bore the motor to use the kit. There are the almost same number of parts available for the H22 as the B series, fewer companies make them.

The Ls has a smaller stroke thats why it revs out earlier, that and the vavle train. And the crower kit comes with bigger pistons.

It can come with bigger pistons.
JE/CP/Arias custom pistons. Modified pin boss for longer rod, specify compression (9:1 - 14 :1) & bore size (81-84mm ).
The stroke of the LS has nothing to do with it not making power at higher revs. That is all in the CR and in the way the head breathes. The B20 revs as far as the LS 7200 RPM. The B20VTEC has more potential per dollar spent than the LSVTEC. It comes with 2.0 litres of displacement.

For the same dollar spent, I doubt it. Do you have the same chassis with these two motors to test?

Originally posted by Havocprez@Oct 18 2002, 01:16 PM
The Ls has a smaller stroke thats why it revs out earlier, that and the vavle train. And the crower kit comes with bigger pistons.

dude, you're all backwards.... the LS DOES have a longer stroke than the GSR, which is why it DOES NOT rev higher... think about it, if it has a longer stroke, it has more distance to travel? therefore the higher revs, the more distance the piston travels on the cylinder walls compared to a motor with a smaller stroke, that does not have as much travel along the cylinder walls. this is why the B16 is more rev happy than the GSR motor, it has a shorter stroke while keeping the same bore. Most high reving motor you will see has either a square design (stroke = bore) or they are oversquare like the B16 (bore > stroke).

You don't use either of those motors in an LSVTEC.

Originally posted by Havocprez@Oct 18 2002, 01:02 PM
almost all of them are running a B18C, you wont see any H22's.

there are a few turbo h22a drags.. dont remember the name or names.. i can look them up if i have too.

Back