Bad build?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

teggyguy

high density foot.
1993 Integra GSR (#0818)
Original b17a1 with following internal mods.
Polished balanced crank.
Main and secondary bearings.
Type-r Cams.
Type-r valves & springs
Titanium Retainers
Type-r intake manifold
Type-r pistons
Rod bolts by arp
Head bolts by arp
DC Sports 4-2-1 header
AEM Short ram intake.
LOL @ p28 chipped ecu.
LOL @ 200 for a p72 virgin (Which I will be chipping soon)
hrm what else.
Bosh dizzy
NGK wires (can't remember what mm)
NGK-R Plugs (Will put irids in when it runs better)
Stock cam gears. (Everything is 0 degrees on cam-crank timing)
AEM fpr and BDL Industries Fuel rail.
(Fuel pressure is 41 PSI atm)
Timing? Hella off probably. Not sure where it needs to be got a light but the chilton is retarded. Or I am.
Uhhhm
Stock throttle body.
No CC
ECU is not throwing codes.

Boggs off the line. Clattering like crazy in the valve train when throttle is opened from idle. (The valve adjustment to be done this week)
Fluids checked look fine. The throttle response is.... lacking? It like you hit it it revs a bit then it starts revving really hard. LOUD intake noise. Like .... just loud.

Compression is: #1: 120 #2: 121 #3: 130 #4: 120
Now these numbers may not be even remotely accurate as the compression tester i have is kind of crappy. Hopefully....
Now I'm going to be tearing the head off here in the next 2 or 3 weeks probably over x-mas to replace the head gasket.

MY QUESTION:
Could the compression be low from the head gasket? (Im going to perform a leakdown test here soon as well probably before and after the head removal)
It seems like it's running rich because of the throttle bog off the line. The vtec cross over is smoother where i have the timing right now. I'm just having trouble figuring out what to do at this point. I've moved most shit to spec for the 93 gsr.

it could be your head gasket ,or your piston rings are stuck or worn also your valves might not be seating right

Oil in my radiator??? Looking to see on that.
Head gasket maybe. The valves not seating right would be answered by a leakdown test right?

i was just asking because if there was it would be blown head gasket....not to sure if head gasket means you loose compression but i would think so???

Well I thought the same about the head gasket i don't know im getting mixed reviews on that. it seems wet around the corner on the head gasket but its hard to tell where the oil is coming from. i have a new head gasket it just sux pulling a head lol. off to find a leak down tester lol

shit so reading is fundamental,
compression test was probably so inaccurate it would make your mama blue in the face. I didn't have a warm motor. I didn't hold open the throttle. and i didn't do each cylinder 2x for avg lmao

so i will update you on that compression test and leak down tester coming soon.

Last edited:
160 160 175 180
Ouch
Head gasket probably.
Leakdown test this week and find out for sure.
#0818 has a sad motor.

well that sucks man....i hope the head gasket solves it for you...but i would still check the valve clearance just to make sure everything is in proper running order....if your going to be doing a head gasket i dont know but i would also do a timing belt and maybe water pump/thermostat but thats just me but that also depends on your budget

well the water pump thermo and timing are all relatively new. Not sweatin those. infact my water pump works too good with my rad it keeps the car too cool lol.
well i just ordered a leak down tester. bought some arp head studs and will probably get an OEM head gasket cause ebay only has cometic and the EristaGasket sets. The cometic is 80 and the erista head set is 60 lol. so im goin oem from all my local homies advice. they have ls vtec and shit and haven't had a problem... though one homie did his ls vtec and popped a retainer cause he didn't do titanium lol.
The leak down should tell me if its my valves or gasket or rings. ah speaking of i may just replace those.
ah hope to god my cylinder wall isn't to blame for this a re-sleeve goin to cost a fortune. I hardly believe ol' molly would even go at all though in that case lol.

I'll keep ya posted.

Yea for sure.
I have my leak down test otw now. Hopefully my rings aren't shot that would blow ass. I read on g2ic.com that a rich mixture can wash the cylinder walls and kill the rings. Molly has been rich (Molly being my teg) but I don't know #1 and #2 took 13 cranks to reach peak comp. That was 160. #3 and #4 were 4 cranks each and were 180 and 175 respective. So I'm downin across the board. Possibly valves but, it would seem a common issue would require a common cause such as head gasket. Is 100 PSI goin to be enough for a leakdown I wonder... There was only 1 200psi one available on ebay and it was like 150 bucks. We'll see. I personally hope/think its the head gasket cause the studs are oem and with the type-r pistons those bitches would stretch no prob at 11:1 lol. Pray that my valves are seating lol.
I have valve lapping compound but would rather a shop do it lol.
I don't know man. I know my shit will be fast when I get the damn comp leaks fixed lol

leak down test solo = bad.
kinda pwnd my thumb trying to hold the engine and work the tester...
cylinder 1 is at 26% tho lol

new rings? prob. this time im getting help

It could be rings but it could be a lot of other things to....so you haven't replaced the head gasket yet?

$$$$$ hahaha
i will be this weekend or next weekend.
hopefully it's just the HG but i am going to have the head pressure tested. hopefully my valves are sealing.
damn this leakage.

Does your leakdown tester use compressed air to operate? if its like mine you can go around and listen for sound of air rushing to find what parts are leaking. noise from the intake or exhaust would be valves. noise coming from the oil fill would be rings. Bubbles in the cooling system would be head gasket. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oil in my radiator??? Looking to see on that.
Head gasket maybe. The valves not seating right would be answered by a leakdown test right?

a leakdown test would determine the intergity of your combustion chamber weather or not it seals. this could be (and most commonly is)your head gasket but can also be valves i supose. or the threads to your spark plug. the head gasket can cause low compression if its after market and thicker or just really blown. i have a mk3 supra that i just remidied from the bhg situation they are famous for. 120-130 seems drasticly low to me as my 8.4:1 turbo motor has 165 across the board. hope this helps ps get the valves check quick if they are that loud try not to drive it.

well it was 160 on 1 and 2 and 180 on 3 175 on 4 so im thinking a combo of hg and rings possibly the valves.
though the valves don't sound like they're messin up. the weird thing is it's loud out the intake when im on the accelerator. so it's possibly a valve timing issue...

im doin the leak down tonight. yes it is a air fed leak down tester

off to buy me an oem hg hehe

cya

\\UPDATE//
Guess what!? So hg wasn't blown. Gd mechanical timing was off.
Although there is still the inexplicable 13 cranks for 1 & 2 to get to 160 psi (/laugh) and the 4 cranks for 3 and 4 to get to the same.

So hg isn't bad ( but I got a nice new oem one that I will be putting in soon (lots of cleaning going on atm damn ocd))
The pistons are nice and tight 0 play at all can't move em.
The valves do not appear to be bent, though I will be having the head hot tanked, pressure tested and valves will be reseated =)
Hopefully that will help. Then I'm putting her back together with arp head studs instead of bolts, new gaskets all over the damn place and some other stuff. Will probably have to have the head resurft tho.
Going to cost a bit but be nice results. A port and polish is possibly goin down too hehe.

Back