BB turbo oil requirements, pressure

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rfrumusa01

Bean Cakes
I have a ball-bearing GT28RS turbo.... On Garrett's website, they claim a ball bearing turbo should see no more than 40-45psi oil pressure (they apparently have small demand for oil). Past 4k RPM's, I see 70-75psi. I need a restrictor... anyone know where to find a restrictor for this turbo or some sort of universal one that will get me down to 40-45 psi max? Also, how much more over stock oil capacity should I be putting into the engine? I know you are supposed to have more to compensate for the turbo lines...

thanks

i know a couple people running them on their sr20det's. not sure on the oil pressure coming out of the engine, but i haven't heard of them having any problems with the oil pressure.

thats perfect. thank you. now what about the oil capacity? how much should I have over stock in the engine?

with the correct line size, pressure won't be an issue.

remember, the line is 3m from the pressure gauge and it drops significantly every inch it has to tavel.

use a -3an feed, and you'll have no problems.

Def use the restrictor. I was running a GT28R on my other car and it required it as well.

Garrett recommends very low oil pressures for their BB CHRAs, so a restrictor at the minimum is required (preferably with an inline oil filter as well; 10 micron seems to work well).

Back