Being outbid on ebay at 5:31 in the morning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Item title: Subaru : Impreza
Current bid: US $14,899.00
Your maximum bid: US $15,500.00

With 1 second to go, I lost an ebay auction. My bid was set to be automized at $15,500. I checked earlier in the night what the car was doing and it was stuck at $13,200 with no reserve. I thought to myself, "I'll set my alarm for 5:20 so that way, I'll be able to get up and watch it for 11-12 minutes before it finishes and I'll place my first bed then."

Alarm goes off and I damn near shut it off and roll over, forgetting why it was on but somehow it hit me that today I had a purpose to live and be up.

I checked the auction and now the car was up to $14,XXX and I was suprised because I really didn't think there were that many watchers in my area even though its close to the city. Subaru WRX's just don't seem to be going on ebay in the tri-state area.

I bid and it got up to $14,899 with my bid and automax bid at $15,500. I sat and watch the auction and around 2 minutes I refreshed every couple seconds.

Still the high bid! Heart pumping! No one was challening me, no one was watching at 5:30 a.m.? Alright, I start getting jumpy around 1min 30secs. A refresh takes me about 3 seconds. Now 1 min and then down to 20secs. Still the high bid! Refreshes are about 2 seconds now. 5 seconds!!! 2 seconds!!

Still the high bid! I have a second window open to place a bid, so it will place faster than an autobid if need be!

1 second! Oh no, new high bidder! $15,600!! I go to the window and type as fast as I can and then hit the enter bid and it says this;

Big Red X
Bidding has ended for this item at US $15,600.00. You were outbid.

Fuck. I should've set it at $16,000 because the car was worth far more. I was just afraid of dealer fees and taxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Impr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Somebody got a $22,900 KBB car for $15,600.

My heart was racing faster and faster, down to the last second. I thought I had it.

Bay Outbid Notice : Subaru : Impreza (Item #4563995509) Inbox

outbidnotice@ebay.com
to me
More options 5:32 am (13 minutes ago)
You Have Been Outbid

Dear ian.ack,
You are no longer the high bidder on the following eBay item:

Subaru : Impreza - Item #4563995509
Current price: US $15,600.00
Your maximum bid: $15,500.00
End date: Jul-29-05 02:32:50 PDT

Don't let this get away!

WHAT A KICK IN THE DICK.

i would

they go for cheaper, and as long as it has a clean title you're good. and for such a new car its unlikely to have major problems.

Hahaha sounds like my trick to get win. If it's something I really want, and the same person has set to auto up to XXXX amount, I just wait till the last second and drop a bid no one could possibley beat.

yep auction sniper thing works well. I've used it a few times and once to fuck with some asshole.

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jul 29 2005, 07:03 AM
you'd honestly wanna buy a car from a guy with 0 feedback who just joined ebay july 21?
[post=532775]Quoted post[/post]​

Its a dealership. Cars from dealerships come warrantied. He didn't disclose any problems with the car, so if I went and found out that it had no engine or a huge transmission problem, I'd void the contract.

Raritan is a town about 10 minutes out of the city, in an expensive area, where my grandfather grew up. Its possible that the car came from the city, but even so, I would have been getting close to a $8,000 deal on a car from a dealership. If something turned out wrong, it would be almost impossible for me to not turn around and turn a profit.

Thanks for the autosniper, I was thinking about that after I lost, how there had to be something to use.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 29 2005, 07:45 AM
r
Hahaha sounds like my trick to get win. If it's something I really want, and the same person has set to auto up to XXXX amount, I just wait till the last second and drop a bid no one could possibley beat.
[post=532785]Quoted post[/post]​

I was waiting for that, with the window open and my hand on the keypad. I thought I could beat anyone to the punch.

I figure he had an automated program, or he had a stopwatch/clock synched up with the auction.

At 2 seconds there was no one that challenged my first bid. At 1 second, I lost it. There's no way that anyone going on a whim could have known when to the confirm the bid because the page probably wouldn't have gone fast enough.

2 browser windows y0.

1 to keep refreshing the autction page....

another where you are already on the "confirm bid" page, the last step.

just make sure you enter something high enough, but at the same time, are willing to pay that much--- cuz you might get cought with it.

2 secs left, refresh main window.
1 sec left hit enter in other window.
submit...

bam, its yours

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 29 2005, 08:43 AM
2 browser windows y0.

1 to keep refreshing the autction page....

another where you are already on the "confirm bid" page, the last step.

just make sure you enter something high enough, but at the same time, are willing to pay that much--- cuz you might get cought with it.

2 secs left, refresh main window.
1 sec left hit enter in other window.
submit...

bam, its yours
[post=532811]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I didn't have it on the confirm, like I should've but with 1 sec left I was fucked. There was no way I could get to the window click the button and be done before I lost.

Since I was already the high bid, I didn't have the luxury of manually placing the last bid myself, I was on the defense, watching to make sure no one else stole the thing but that didn't work out too well.

Now if I had waited to the last second to bid like I should've, I maybe could've had it or the best shot at beating the sniping program. I wasn't thinking really, it was 5:30 in the morning and I bid on it with like 10 minutes left.

My only savior in my head is that, even had I had my maxbid set at 15,600 even 16,000, the winner probably had a higher maxbid. If someone had gotten the car for $19,000 it still would've been a deal that you could've turned around and resold on a subby forum for a profit.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jul 29 2005, 08:54 AM
Bummer man. :( Good thing is, there'll be other WRX's out there waiting for you. :)
[post=532816]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I already have one lined up thats an '02 in WRB with only 24,000 miles for $14,750 or whatever I can work the guy down to in person. ...or an '02 in Blaze Yellow <---its a unique color that most don't seem to want but I like being unique so its perfect, that has 40,000 miles and some light mods for $14,500 but more than likely I could get it for under $14,000 but that means a road trip up to Mass.

Best deal would be on the first car, but it also was keyed in the rear quarter panel that would be like $500 to fix.

I liked the '04 though with the white exterior and black rims. Plus the '04 doesn't have the bugeyes and looks so much better from the front. From the side, the car reminded me of one of the few evo's I've seen in person that had the same color scheme and I really liked how it looked.

Bugeye > crosseye :lol:

Be careful with buying a modded car, even "lightly modded". Oftentimes, the car has been parted out of its bigger-ticket items.

I'd get the WRB, but I'm biased. :)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jul 29 2005, 10:08 AM
i say drive over and pick it up. You could get lucky and the buyer be out of state and take a week to get there. :ph34r:
[post=532849]Quoted post[/post]​

You know, I'm a scumbag and thought about it.

I honestly might have done it. I could've given a flying fuck, cause I'm not going to get negative feedback, and I don't know who the fuck the guy that outbid me was. The dealership could careless, they had 0 feedback and nothing to lose, they just wanted to get rid of the car.

Back