Benz to drop ICE lineup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Volvo and a few others also if I recall. Electrification is here and its rapidly deploying. Infrastructure is going to be greatly needed and I know first hand how hard it is to get rapid chargers installed.

If I get a 3rd car spot, I will probably get some type of plug in hybrid or full electric in the not so distant future.

I'm really considering the '22 f150 lightning at this point.

I like the fact that it can function as a home power backup. my lease is up in october of next year on the taco, so it will be pretty good timing.

Pairing that up to the house, gives an 80 amp output. That's better than a 50amp from a gas generator, and while its not as strong as the whole house unit i've been looking at, it's not 15 grand either. (quote i got to install a whole house gen)
plus, it sucks Ng down like a pig.

Pairing the truck with a few panels could essentially give me an indefinite bank of power to at least run my well and a fridge in a long outage.

that is an interesting thing for sure! never knew that was an option, to power the house from the truck. if it's all electric even with a battery pack, i wonder what the hour-age would be.

it says 3 days at full use, and up to 10 days at rationing for essentials on a full charge.

3-5 days is the average bad power outage these days here after storms. So, if i can run my well and not lose my freezer, that's a win.

I did the math on the whole home 22kw unit and it just doesn't make sense. It needs to be run once a month, it consumes a TON of fuel. about $40 a day if my math was correct. I need a larger cfm meter installed by the gas company, hard-lines run in the house, etc etc etc. So, it will COST me to just have it and maintain it.

I had 9500 miles on my truck when the pandemic hit and i started to WFH, March 12 2020. Now, i have 11,200. And, my wife drove my truck a bit (she didn't stop going in until May or june). Working from home really takes a cut off miles. So, i can target one of the lowest mileage offers they may have to save some cash, still have a truck for doing truck things, AND get some backup power option. That sounds like a pretty big win. The truck comes with the home charging unit (just need to pay an electrician to wire it up).
The big question is, will it fit in the garage. I need to see how much longer than the taco it is. I have the 4 door long bed which comes in at 225 inches.

We'll have to see what the price of the truck is. The prelim numbers have a huge range from 39 to 90k. My taco priced at 46k and i'm in it for 349/m lease with 12k /year mileage allotment and i put basically nothing down (covered taxes/reg) If i can score a 10k or lower mileage lease, that may save a few bucks. I don't think i want to buy it and deal with it after 5 years.

So, then i'm thinking i can get a solar bank too. Or may do a whole roof of solar, but i really don't want to do that until i do the roof. but, that's at least 10-15 years out (hopefully).

I'm thinking i can probably get about 600/900 watts of portable panels i can just setup in an emergency and wire in to a charge controller that connects to the batteries in the truck somehow. More research to do here. That should give me enough power to run the well and keep the food cold for a few days so long as it's sunny. I have great southern exposure most of the day.

Last edited:
yeah, if i can get an actual 500 w/h's rolling in for 8 hours a day (more in summer), that should be enough kwh to run the bare necessities off an on for a few days and never tap out the bottom end of the bank.

Still, much to research and consider here. Home back up power has been something i've been trying to do for a year now but it's all out of reach, over-priced vs the benefit, etc. I mean, i MAYBE use 5 days a year of it. I have a hard time justifying multiple 1000s on that.

Today, if we lost power for a long period of time, it would be pretty horrible as we have a lot of irreplaceable breast milk frozen. He's eating even with production these days so it's just a matter of time before we need to hit the reserves. If we lost that, it would be horrible. I have a TON of ice packs in there and we should be good for a few days, but not a long-term outage. I considered a gas unit, but there's never any gas here when the power is out either. storing gas sucks. rotating it sucks. I want nothing to do with a gas generator.

I looked into a dual fuel unit (propane). I can stock 10 propane tanks pretty easily, and i'll likely use them on the grill before the tanks go bad if we don't need it for power. it's good for like 10 years or something.

But, i'll still need wiring, and it is a finite resource and it won't work well in the cold (propane freezes when it comes out too fast) so they actually recommend larger tanks, which changes everything. And running it in bad weather sucks and it's noisy. Or, i can have the truck in the garage and there's no noise, no exhaust, and nothing outside for thieves to snatch. Panel it up the following day when the storm is passed and trickle charge my way through the event.

The lightning is great. Really like the idea.

Short term if I were you for the coming outage season, I would order the cheap costco yamaha generator they have for sale for the freezer, etc. Like $600 bucks.

Keep a small stock of gas. Worst comes to worse I store gas for 6-12 months and its always fine. That breast milk is white gold. In the event of an emergency, it'll get you by. And if you upgrade. you'll get near what you paid. Call it insurance.

Back