Best Motor For All-motor Crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

Just about 2 months ago, I finished my Z6 Swap into my '90 CRX Si. I was planning on turboing it this summer, but instead, i'm taking out a personal loan for 5 g's to build an all-motor B-series swap. Or should I just build a B-series for turbo? What is best for the money? I was thinking of a B18 C5/turbo/LSD or an all motor B20 VTEC. What would be best for my little CRX without completely destroying the handling of a very rarely driven summer car?
(MY CAR):::
s3e443017686d5.jpg

A built b20 vtec in a crx will low 12's na allday... It all depends on how much money you want to spend and what your trying to accomplish!

Originally posted by RFHOMI2U@Feb 7 2003, 02:22 PM
Just about 2 months ago, I finished my Z6 Swap into my '90 CRX Si. I was planning on turboing it this summer, but instead, i'm taking out a personal loan for 5 g's to build an all-motor B-series swap. Or should I just build a B-series for turbo? What is best for the money? I was thinking of a B18 C5/turbo/LSD or an all motor B20 VTEC. What would be best for my little CRX without completely destroying the handling of a very rarely driven summer car?

man, read some of the posts around here, getting a C5 alone will be around 5 g's, boosting it, you will be replacing almost everything that makes it a C5. do some research first, that way you're not blowing your money. i say get a 1st gen b16 and build that up.

agreed, an sir1 motor will go in pretty easily, and had a fair amount of power, and alot of potential. good value for the money

Well if you want the best of both worlds get the b18c5, but if cost is a problem get the b16, its alittle soft on the bottom end but your car doesnt weigh anything at all, so it will move out fine and with the added bonus of Vtec you will be very happy.

Like i said, I am working with about 5 grand. Now a b16 can be easily obtained with all the goodies for about 1500, but how much would a GSR (LSD) tranny run me? What kind of mods are the best to obtain really low track times on the b16? I have all summer, because it will be going in this winter. So I plan on building the block. Cams? Pistons? etc.... etc.... Build for boost? build for high compression?

by the way, thanks for all of the info you already provided me with!

gsr: 3g's. hmotors online charges an extra 300 for an lsd. if i were you, i'd take the loan out for a 'lil bit more ('bout 6g's) and build a turbo ls. it would by far dominate anything else in the price range. you can get the ls swap for about 1,500, then the kit turbo kit with everything including engine management for 3,328, then tack on 500 for a thermal 3" exhaust, then upgrade your injectors and fuelpump, get an lsd for the ls tranny and you should be set.

LSD 1st Gen B16A - 5,000-2,000 = 3 g's left
LSD B18C5 - 5,000-5,000= No g's left
LSD B18C1 - 5,000-4,100 = 900 left
B20 - 5,000-1,000= 4 g's left

4 grand worth of work on a B20 sounds pretty sweet ass to me.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Feb 7 2003, 10:09 PM
LSD 1st Gen B16A - 5,000-2,000 = 3 g's left
LSD B18C5 - 5,000-5,000= No g's left
LSD B18C1 - 5,000-4,100 = 900 left
B20 - 5,000-1,000= 4 g's left

4 grand worth of work on a B20 sounds pretty sweet ass to me.

where are you gettin' your prices? they seem a little off.

He has a cable tranny, so unless he converts it to hydro, he isnt getting a c5/gsr or cr/vtec into that car (unless you wanna use a "not the best" geared cable b16 tranny).

You are running with 5g's eh? cr/vtec that is built RIGHT...

crv long block = 750

vtec head (b16) = 1000 (that includes mating it to the block (that price is from Xtreme Auto in Tulsa, OK) The b16 head allows more shit to fit then the gs-r head.. the b16 is a type r head, so that IM fits and no mods will have to be done to a header or TB and shit, like it would have to be done to a gsr head

To get the crv bottom end to spin upto 7-8k and be okay, you need ARP bolts/studs to hold shit together ARP bolts/studs = 80-100

IM = 200-300

Tranny = jdm itr = 1200-1500 gsr tranny = 800 or so

Axles = with the power you want, i would get custom/aftermarket axles 400 bucks or so

wiring it for OBD 1 (i would just use hondata if you are going inside the motor) 400 plus install

radiatior/fan to cool it

rods/pistons

that is just the jist of stuff..

Your 5g's dont last long if you want something that is "built"..

96-97 ITR = 4650

98-00 ITR = 5-5500

You needs mounts, cable to hydro converter and shit to wire it up, axles

to turbo that, you need new pistons, cams, and tranny (well, not needed, but without it, your boost wont be worth a fuck)

I would say go b18a1 and boost it. You can get a obd0 b18a1 swap for around 600-700 bucks and goto www.ks-motorsports.com and build yourself a custom turbo, get gauges for it, and axles, mounts and be set to go.

Also, the car is 11 or so years old, you NEED to upgrade the suspension to handle the newly added power.

Quaife lsd's are around 900 bucks

Kaaz lsd's = ??? (i hear they are relaly good, just noisey and i'm not sure if they make them for cable tranny's)

if u have 5000, get a B18a ( 92-93) ( they are obd1 but more torque, better for turbo) then get a good turbo and u will beat alot of cars and easily run in 12's depending on setup and turbo. B18a Turbo will always beat a Vtec Turbo. people that say otherwise need to wise up:_)

yea, my friend told me last night to go b18a turbo too. Is that really a good idea? I can save a lot of money that way. A B18A will only run me like 800 right? then i can build it for boost, turbo it, and still have some money left over. Will that be my best bet? i just wanna spend my 5 g's wisely. Get the most HP that 5g's can buy. My Z6 swap didn't make my car as fast as I wanted. By the way, Thanks guys! keep going! you are filling my head with wonderful ideas!!! :D

B18a Turbo will always beat a Vtec Turbo. people that say otherwise need to wise up:_)

sure......if the vtec turbo is using the VX motor, do some more research and try again

btw i hope your quote was just sarcasm

sohc em...... why is it that you say "SOHC Rules!" and have a link to a site dedicated to B-series swaps directly below it?

Just... you know..... a thought.

and what quote were you refering to as being sarcasm?

i never said DOHC SUCKS in my profile did I? BTW the website is mine and i love the DOHC's, well most of them, as well as the SOHC's, i just happen to love dispelling the myth that the SOHC can't be made to make power, that it sucks, and it will take a whole lot more money to make it as good as a b series swap, hogwash. I was referring to the sarasm cuz you made a one sided, unfounded, statement that had no basis, research, or any evidence backing it up and put a smiley after it so i wasn't sure if you were being serious or you were just making a sacastic statement, because you were making a unintelligent comment. So i guess in your statement you are confirming that a B18 turbo in a school bus will beat a tube framed crx with a turbo 2.2L vtec motor in it, i mean you didn't say what kinda of car it would be in, what the weights of the cars will be, who's driving them, what suspension setups will be in both, will they both be running slicks? But i guess you are partly right in your statement, but only if the B18 turbo, as you so unspecifically call it, is a B18C, thank you sir, have a nice day, and STOP MAKING IGNORANT, UNFOUNDED, ZEROXED STATEMENTS THAT YOU READ ONCE ON THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS MESSAGE BOARDS AND DO SOME BACKGROUND CHECK BEFORE YOU STICK YOUR FOOT IN YOUR MOUTH. Sorry i had to vent for a second.

PS. did you read the rest of my profile i also ran a VTEC TURBO DOHC swap also, and if you can calculate 1/4 mile mph's instead of 1/4 times you will see that VTEC motors are VERY capable of putting out good numbers all around the board, am i alone here or what?

Nope- you're not alone there. I would rather build a VTEC turbo engine than a non-VTEC turbo engine, if I was going to do it.

Back