Best option for obd2 ecu.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94auto

Hey guys, I know everyone is thinking obd1 ecu with harness, but I do not think that is an option for me right now. I just aquired a 97 CRV Ex, automatic rt4wd. I am wondering, aside from obd1 conversion, what is the best tuning option for a crvtec while retaining the (or an) obd2 ecu?

In my state, I must have an obd2 ecu for emission/inspection since it is 96+. Also, I dont think that if I ran a harness and chipped obd1 ecu, 1.) It'd be able to control the automatic transmission/rt4wd correctly?, and 2.) when time comes for inspection, I dont think I'd be able to pass even after swappin the stock obd2 ecu back in due to vtec and hopefully in the future a small amount of boost.

My first plan is to just crvtec using the stock b20 bottom end, vtec conv kit, and vtec head and find the best option for tuning this. And after I figure out how to run the crvtec correctly I would like to install a JRSC with stock pullies and then retune.

How can I control a crvtec safely on an obd2 ecu?
How would I be able to tune for the JRSC?

I'm fairly certain the 4wd stuff is on a seperate ecu from the main ecu. (can someone else confirm this?)
There are automatic obd1 and even obd2 ecus you can use, but most are jdm and have 113 mph speed cuts. but thats probably ok for a truck anyway.
but, like you said, you're screwed come emissions time if you go obd1. and for obd2, there's basically no chipping options available.

Frankly, there's relaly no good option.
You can either run a hack job FMU with the boost, or some other piggy back type device like an FIc, or plan on having 2 set ups, 1 for driving aorund and 1 for inspection time.

I'm fairly certain the 4wd stuff is on a seperate ecu from the main ecu. (can someone else confirm this?)
There are automatic obd1 and even obd2 ecus you can use, but most are jdm and have 113 mph speed cuts. but thats probably ok for a truck anyway.
but, like you said, you're screwed come emissions time if you go obd1. and for obd2, there's basically no chipping options available.

Frankly, there's relaly no good option.
You can either run a hack job FMU with the boost, or some other piggy back type device like an FIc, or plan on having 2 set ups, 1 for driving aorund and 1 for inspection time.

Yeah, Ive thought about 1 ecu for everyday and one for inspection, but I dont think I'd pass inspection with a stock obd2 b20 ecu trying to run a b20vtec/jrsc.

So, other than obd1 ecu, whats my best bet for tuning a b20vtec?
I dont think a vafc is really all that good, but what about Emanage and stuff?

Forget the JRSC and tuning for that, for now.

What is the best way to control a b20vtec while still using the obd2 ecu?

I would say that what ever head you use to use the ECU that matches it. It may not be the "best" option, but if you cant convert back to OBDI than that really is your only option.

I would say that what ever head you use to use the ECU that matches it. It may not be the "best" option, but if you cant convert back to OBDI than that really is your only option.

I thought the jdm ecu's didnt have the obd2 port, and are missing a few emissions items that are needed to pass inspection, which is why I am looking for something I can use along with the crv ecu.

Yeah, you'll most likely want a 96-98 obd 2a gsr (p72) ecu. usdm. that will be the closest you'll get. So i'd recommend you go with the gsr head over th eb16 head as finding an obd2a p30 is going to be nearly impossible. (there were like 2000 usdm del sol vtecs made with that set up) and all other options for b16 are 2b. For putting around and emissions, it should be fine, but i wouldn't open it up without some tuning with something else as 1.8 is not 2.0 and differences in compresion, etc etc. it may end up running lean.

Or WOULD it be possible to tune the b20vtec/jrsc on a chipped obd1 p28 auto ecu, and when inspection comes, put the stock b20 obd2 ecu back in, as long as I dont go into boost and/or vtec?

Would it be SAFE to run a jrsc'd b20vtec on the stock crv ecu as long as I dont hit boost or vtec?

with a non vtec ecu you can't hit vtec. so that is not a problem to worry about. I would think that you should be safe to limp it in for inspection with the stock ecu if it runs ok on that setup. The problem can get into how they go about doing your emissions test. if its just plug in to check all the flags have cleared than you should be ok. If it involves running the vehicle under load on a dyno than you may have some problems.

There is no dyno involved. They just plug the "state computer" into the cars computer, and it has to be the correct ecu, with no cels/codes etc.

Would the stock b20crv obd2 ecu run a jrsc'd b20vtec if I disconnected the sc belt and drove really slowly? I cannot pass inspection with the wrong ecu, or with any cel's/codes.

I think that there is a decent chance that would work. As long as the stock fuel injectors are in place and all of the oem emmisions controls are still installed than the computer should be happy enough to not flag anything on the drive in to be tested.

ECu's sometimes need to be driven up to 100 miles to get them off of 'maintence' mode. I'm not sure if the honda obd2's do that or not.
if its still in maint. mode, it will fial until you've driven more.

Get an automatic OBD2 VTEC (preferably GSR) ECU, and get the car running properly without any codes on that ECU. It'll likely run a little lean based upon the differences in displacement; but for inspection it should do the trick just fine.

Back