Best Suspension?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SuperZaque01

I'm looking for the absolute best suspensions set up for a EG hatch.
My #1 goal with this car is to make it handle incredibly.

Also I plan a GSR engine swap and four disc conversion. I'm not really interested in launch and 1/4 miles as much as acceleration in and out of corners.

I want use the tinkerbell weight of this car to my advantage since it's my biggest one over damn cops.

Any suggestions or skidpad numbers from setups you've used?

What, are you building a getaway car??? :roll: We's runnin from the cops y0! :lol:
Seriously, is money an issue here?

Ohlin ownz JIC's y0. Ohlin = 2000USD USED (from respected importer)

neuspeed 3'' drop springs and a yellow neuspeed sticker. You'll have plenty of chances to run from the cops because they will always be after you :lol:

but seriously, maybe a tein HA kit, with upper + lower/front/rear strut bars, and an anti-roll bar. That and some sticky rubber, and you should be close to 1.00 g on the pad, which is good as a corvette.

thats gon run ya like over 2g's, or you could start with the ohlin kit, and run yourself 4gs used.

remember though, po-po's have pretty nasty cars sometimes. I used to work at a dealship. unrestricted 4.7L v8. I mean, to get that kind of power - you need like, shit - 10 neuspeed stickers and the mother of all chrome exaust tips.

Is ride quaility an issue? You can get great handling from things like mugen Racing set ups (not for street use) many N1 style suspention but you will feel when you run over an ant. Also, for best handling, get sway bars, monkey bars (think that might just be a brand, they are bars that go across the inside of your car for even more rigidity) strut bars, new urathane bushings, sticky ass tires. There is so much you can do but it is all a matter about how much you want to spend and what ride quaility you want. For autoXs some people on fully built honda with street slicks (hoosiers) are sometimes pulling as much as 1.4 g's of acceleration.

IMO.. the "monkey car" looks cheaply made, and it bolts to your car, where you open the door and the sill plate and then it goes down to the floor board, on that little wall, it bolts and goes across the back. I seen stupid street install one almost 2 yrs ago and i was thinking "that looks like, on hard cornering, it will rip the car up".. well, 6 months later, on some site i found.. one ripped out on the autox track.

haha the best?!?! arguably moten or penske shocks. better get out the platinum card tho. and BTW ohlins are nice too have to agree, but 2000 a set used is rediculous, can get a lot cheaper than taht :p

Originally posted by chris@Mar 4 2003, 08:07 PM
haha the best?!?! arguably moten or penske shocks. better get out the platinum card tho. and BTW ohlins are nice too have to agree, but 2000 a set used is rediculous, can get a lot cheaper than taht :p

talk to this guy, he is a suspension FREAK!!

Money isn't really an issue too much - I'm prepared to spend about 3 or 4 grand if I have to. My biggest thing is I want it to work - I want to take a corner at 70 and not have my car roll or the ass end up in front of me. I want my car to handle better than any one the road. I will be doin up the engine later.
Kindof and autox setup. more handling over holeshot.
Ride quality is sort of an issue - I'd like to keep my kindney's intact - but that's about the extent of it.

Thanks for all the help.

for under 1000 dollars buy ground controls with custom rates and revalved Koni yellows designed for the rates you want.

for an eg hatch, 550 rear, 450 front.

if you want more, you'll need to spend 2500+ for a good set. i'd go with RG coilovers..as that is what my friend has and they are very nice.

also, suspension is only 1 part of good handling. A good driver is more important then what springs you buy. Ask b16, he went to this one Roadrace school thing and he was astounded how well his car handled when his instructor was behind the wheel. Before you go and spend 4k on suspention, go to some racing schools.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 5 2003, 04:48 PM
Before you go and spend 4k on suspention, go to some racing schools.

couldnt agree more. more money should be spent on learning to drive than changing suspension. damn! someone needs to keep me in check and remind me of that point

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 4 2003, 08:08 PM
neuspeed 3'' drop springs and a yellow neuspeed sticker. You'll have plenty of chances to run from the cops because they will always be after you :lol:

but seriously, maybe a tein HA kit, with upper + lower/front/rear strut bars, and an anti-roll bar. That and some sticky rubber, and you should be close to 1.00 g on the pad, which is good as a corvette.

thats gon run ya like over 2g's, or you could start with the ohlin kit, and run yourself 4gs used.

remember though, po-po's have pretty nasty cars sometimes. I used to work at a dealship. unrestricted 4.7L v8. I mean, to get that kind of power - you need like, shit - 10 neuspeed stickers and the mother of all chrome exaust tips.

so how fast would a normal cop car (crown victoria) a year old or so go
in the 1/4 mile?

i always wondered that, but never had the balls to try and find out

yes, i should have learned more first, but luckly i was able to buy the right stuff by listening to what worked for other people. if i keep doing these hpde days at nasa(which im' sure i will, the shit rocks!!), i'll be able to enjoy it as much as my instructor did :D
btw: hpde days at thunderhill again apr.5-6, i'll be there :)

so how fast would a normal cop car (crown victoria) a year old or so go in the 1/4 mile?

Police Chief of a small town here goes to my church. I'll find out Sunday and let you know.

I had the pleasure of riding (front seat w/ no cuffs :D ) in the car after a recent downpour. Suffice it to say he scared the poop outta me. That car handled better on wet pavement than any street car I've ever been in on dry.

He was taking turns in the throttle and the rear end would NOT come around!!

About the only street legal vehicle that can out maneuver a police prepared cruiser is a crotch-rocket. I'd hate to be the idiot on two wheels tryin'!!! Dang! Those cars are FAST!!!!!!!!

and from my experience you could turn 90* while in the throttle at the end the 1/4 and not break traction!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back