Best Swap For Autoxing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ekPhred

wussup all? this is for my homeboy's car. anyway, we were talking about what swap he wants to do. he wants to go with an ITR swap, but his financial situation does'nt allow that. i suggested to him to get an LS swap put in, especially since he wanted to go autoXing more then he wanted to go drag. my question would be would it be more beneficial to go with an ls swap? would be be okay to go ls/t while autoXing? or would it be better to go b20? he wants to go autoXing for sure with a possibility of going drag waaaaay down the line. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, peace! :lol:

b16a, itr transmission.

plenty of power, and with LSD you're friend will be competitive immediately if he can drive.

i don't know if there was a FAQ on it, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanx again in advance for response, peace!

GSR if he can't afford ITR.

He shouldnt swap at all if he wants to be competitive. As soon as he swaps I believe he goes into classes with cars like porsches etc. I may be wrong. If that isnt the case I am going to say ls with b16, or itr tranny, add an lsd if the tranny doesnt have one. Low down torque owns, this is on a cost efficient budget tho. If hes got the money than I would swap the itr

i think GSR might be out of his price range, so don't know, we'll see what's up with that. so it would be better to get a b16 over a LS, i thought you will need the torque to pull around your car around the track? sorry, i'm a n00bie when it comes to autoX.... ;)

he has a 99 dx h/b by the way...

ps: how do you post pix? i still dont know how, thanx alot, peace!

Originally posted by mwasnp@Feb 5 2003, 07:53 PM
He shouldnt swap at all if he wants to be competitive. As soon as he swaps I believe he goes into classes with cars like porsches etc. I may be wrong.

Go check out Chets autoX results and then talk about competitive,against porsche,bmw,etc...and a decent list of them,he placed fourth. :D If your friend is looking for something nice,but cheaper than a B18C! with the same goodies a B16 is right up his alley.

91 crx si.
bone stock
is the most competive honda there is. period.

swaps kill your class if you do REAL autoX sccca stuff. local shit that have beginerr, and experienced classes- you will own. but in the REAL deal, you're fucked cuz you are racing m3's, 911's, evo 7's and shit

:werd:
its probly not what you want to hear but with a swap you are going up against fully race prepped cars... im not going to say you CANT be competitive but it will take a while...

but like B said this is for the real SCCA solo 2 events ... if its just a local autoX type thing it can have completly different rules

thanx for all the input guys! :worthy: but yea, i dunno if he wants to go professional (dunno if that is spelled right) but if he were to go for autoXing because he doesn't want to go drag, that's why he has me! heheh, would a b16 be better to go over a LS?

keep in mind that he probably would'nt want to go pro with the autoX, just to go on weekends and stuff like that and he is on a budget, thanx again, peace!

The LS has more torque and less hp, the LS also has wider gearing. The B16 needs to be reved up hard to get out it's true potential but the gearing is shorter which is better for acceleration. Since torque would probably out weigh top end hp in auto-X, I would say go with the LS engine and the B16 tranny. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Peace*

if hes just looking to autoX as a hobby then i would get a b16 and SC it
that way you still have high HP and revability, good gearing and the SC will give you plenty of Tq... dont worry too much about the engine swap for now though ... that is the last thing he should do... AutoX is ALL about handling and smoothness... get a good suspension setup and do the brakes... after he has handling and braking ability then go for more power.... if he does the engine first he will be on the brakes too much and he will have to hold the power back to stay on course (and that sucks)... ive seen a lot of 70hp cars kick the fuck out of 200+hp cars at autoX

o yea, i totally agree with you on going suspension over motor. i mean, if you want to turn good, would'nt you want suspension? but yea, he wants to get the motor done within the next couple of months and we were just discussing on which route he should take. i merely suggested the LS to him because we could get an LS motor more often then we can get a b16a2 over here.

the LS would be a very good choice too... throw a ITR, GSR, Si tranny on it with a LSD and build up the top end to handle higher revs and youll have a badass all motor setup for autoX

According to the SCCA auto-x rules the only class you can't run in with a swap is the Stock class. fully race prepared HA!

"17.1. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS - STS
All Solo II Rules Stock Category allowances and the modifications that follow:
A. Equipment and/or specifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if:
(1) the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken,
(2) the years/models are listed on the same line of Appendix A (Street Prepared Classes)
The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined, or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. The updating and/or backdating of engines, transmissions, or transaxles must be done as a complete unit as available from the factory, including those items required by emissions regulations for a particular configuration. "

A CRX puts you an higher class because it is so light

"SAMPLE EXCLUDED VEHICLES
Porsche, all
Datsun Z car 2+2
Honda CRX
MGB GT
Triumph, all"

You can run street touring in anything but a CRX with a swap and be competitive. As a matter of fact, the top three winners at the National level last year in order ran a 1st & 2nd was an '89 Civic Si (two dif ones ) and 3rd was a '93 Civic.

You can also get more agressive with the internals of the engine and compete in Street Prepared. Of the top 11 in this class, 7 were CRX's which includes 4 in an 8-way tie for first.

If you don't know the answer...............shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!......................sheeeesh!!

Okay do you think a guy who has never done this before can race against guys like that in his car and expect to do well nationally. B and I are right, you cant swap in a b18 anything and stay in a class with cars of your type, you are gonna be racing porsches etc and hondas with hella loads of mods to suspension motor etc. Given my driving skills in that class I would get owned time after time, and I would say I am a pretty average driver.

the lowest class you can enter aside from novice is street modified / street modified 2....

Street Modified is a pretty free-for-all class that is a full National class in 2002. For streetable sedans, expands eligible vehicles and modifications above Street Touring, above Steet Prepared, and perhaps even above Prepared category.
All Street Prepared modificationsare allowed, plus
Unrestricted modification of engine, drive train, and suspension, and some other modifications, as long as the car uses highway fuels.

Street Modified 2 is a new optional Regional class beginning in 2002. It has similar rules to SM, but allows 2 seater cars, and cars too light or small to qualify for SM.

check the book again

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/index.html

The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined, or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. The updating and/or backdating of engines, transmissions, or transaxles must be done as a complete unit as available from the factory, including those items required by emissions regulations for a particular configuration.

all that says is if you change the engine it has to be the same engine that came in the car (or an engine that was available in a version of the car) and it has to include all of the standard equipment

Back