Best Value Swap For A 98 Civic Hx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

alabranche

i was just wondering what swap would be the best value for my car. right now my car is great on gas, but it isn't as fun to drive as i think it can potentially be.

i don't want turbo because you have to put more money into internals, and i am not really looking for 200hp. i need the car for daily driving and it needs to be somewhat economical on gas. (that is a wish, not a requirement)

after reading a bit on this site i think i can understand what your suggestions mean so don't wory about confusing me.

this swap is not going to be immediate, but in the near future (6 mos-1 yr). i really don't want to spend more than 3500 total for all parts ( swap & add-ons, if necessary), but let me know all the options.

thanks,

You can turbo that y5 and not have to build the internals. Calesta knows acouple of ppl running turboed y8's pushing 215-220whp on stock internals.

Its all in tuning. Just get it tuned well tuned and dont boost much to make a good 175-180 solid whp.

Also look into the y8 IM, its the "itr manifold of the d-series".

If you think you can score a b16a2 complete swap for under 2500 or 2600 bucks, then get it.

any of the b series are still going to get decent gas millage. One engine that you can have alot of fun with and is not terribly expensive is the b16a2. You can find them for about 2200. Then just to get it in the car, you'll need about a hunderd for a new water pump, and timing belt. Also you will need some shift linkages, and then all your fluids. (oil w/filter, coolant ect.) So tops the swap should cost you 2500. Also consider doing the clutch because it is so much easier with the engine out. Then for the bolt ons, i would say make your self a jimmy rigged cold air intake (does just as well as AEM), go to teamdelsol.com how-to's for instructions. Then get a JDM ITR header (from alljdm.com), hiflow cat ($80 maybe) then get a good universal muffler and have a good exhaust shop weld it on with Mandel (sp im sure) pipes from the cat-back or pay the extra 200 and get a name brand catback.. This will probally get you under your budget. Hope this helps.

For an engine with a little more trq but less hp, look at the b18b. This engine will be alot cheaper then the b16a2 but is still a very good engine.

i was reading up on the b18b earlier and really considering it. people say it is a very easy engine to come by and it swaps fairly easily in to the ek civic.

i probably should have mentioned that i have a cat back greddy sp on the way. i shoul have it within the next week.

thanks for the other suggestions and possible prices...this helps a lot. keep the replies coming.

thanks

I have an hx an I'm pushin about 230hp. And all I have is a bunch of accesories. And I still get good gas milage. If I was you I wouldn't turbo or swap. but that's just me!

Originally posted by dwn2ryd@Feb 24 2003, 10:45 AM
I have an hx an I'm pushin about 230hp. And all I have is a bunch of accesories. And I still get good gas milage. If I was you I wouldn't turbo or swap. but that's just me!

wha.........?

i agree, what the hell are you using to push 230hp out of an all engine hx. what year is it, and how deep into your wallet are you?

96' and about 15 hundo, and I didn't think it was possible but my buddy dyno'd it.

not to be a pessimist, but you got a dyno slip. if you can do it for 1500, i want to know what you got in it so i can start addin. i still can't see how you can effectively double the hp without turbo or nos, and for only 1500 dollars.

prove me wrong. i really hope you can so i can do the same to my car.

I don't still have the slip, I just moved to cali so I don't where half of my stuff is. But I'll tell you what I have, I did get a couple of parts for free.
aem cold air intake
greddy header " it was off of an ex"
vitek wires, bosch platinum 4s
hi flow cat
2.5 custom bent exhaust w/aerospeed muffler
aem cam gear
aem pulleys
msd ignition
intake man and exhaust man port and polished

the intake and msd ingition I got for free and the greddy header I only paid 2 hundo on ebay, But I sht you not it has 228hp, so I round to 230

Originally posted by dwn2ryd@Feb 24 2003, 02:53 PM
I don't still have the slip, I just moved to cali so I don't where half of my stuff is. But I'll tell you what I have, I did get a couple of parts for free.
aem cold air intake
hi flow cat
aem cam gear
aem pulleys
msd ignition

the intake and msd ingition I got for free and the greddy header I only paid 2 hundo on ebay, But I sht you not it has 228hp, so I round to 230

Those are NOT going to get you 228hp on a y5 motor. Sorry. I am building all motor d15 stroker and will be lucky to see 200whp and that is completely built and running 12.5 CR pistons, street strip cam and fully pnp head/IM.

AEM cam gears blow.. pulleys slow your alt down, makes it work harder which means it will go out faster. MSD ignition.. little did oyu know Honda ignition is good for 400hp and 10k revs. Aerospeed muffler? :lol: Fucking loosing HP there. Greddy header eh? then why did you list a ported a exhuast manifold if you are using a header.

:fr: who dont know shit.

Originally posted by dwn2ryd+Feb 24 2003, 02:59 PM-->
Originally posted by cbrnascar0329@Feb 24 2003, 02:50 PM
brc80
@Feb 24 2003, 12:13 PM
Id like to know what your using to get your 230 hp. :bs:

:werd:

I don't know why your talkin trash, I wasn't in here to brag I was just tellin how much hp my hx had. I'm not a racer, I'm into custom sht!

We are a performance site. Go to fucking superhonda.com if you want to talk custom stuff.

We are anti-rice..

Thank you.. drive through

Originally posted by dwn2ryd@Feb 24 2003, 02:53 PM
aem cold air intake
hi flow cat
aem cam gear
aem pulleys
msd ignition

shut up n00b

Your D16Y5 sohc isnt going to get those numbers with vitek wires and an aerospeed muffler :fr:

aerospeed exhaust and greddy header? :axe: i just discovered this right now, i didnt know we had more then the smiley faces to put on. so i put it on here, hehee

lates!

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Feb 24 2003, 03:10 PM-->
Originally posted by dwn2ryd@Feb 24 2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by cbrnascar0329@Feb 24 2003, 02:50 PM
brc80
@Feb 24 2003, 12:13 PM
Id like to know what your using to get your 230 hp. :bs:

:werd:

I don't know why your talkin trash, I wasn't in here to brag I was just tellin how much hp my hx had. I'm not a racer, I'm into custom sht!

We are a performance site. Go to fucking superhonda.com if you want to talk custom stuff.

We are anti-rice..

Thank you.. drive through

your anti rice huh, then why are you driving a rice burner you fuckin fag

Its not a rice burner. I dont stick rice in or on my car.

But hey.. nice try as a come back. We dont appreciate the name calling, so i am sure you will be banned when B wakes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back