Better Bottom End D16a6 or D16y8?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Reboticon

title says it all. I have bottom ends from a d16a6 and a d16y8. Using Y8 head. Which block should i use? I hear theY8 has oiling problems?

they do have oiling issues which occasionally leads to a spun rod bearing. i would use the a6 bottom end.

:ditto: The Y8 does have oiling problems. If you were to use that the bearings would have to get umm, bored a little more? Ugh! I have an article on this somewhere, as well as the oil pump. They are infamous for spinning bearings. Go with the A6. You'll be happy with it. :thumbsup:

I hear the comp. ratio is better mating a VTEC head to a NON-VTEC block as well!. gl

Erm right back on topic.. Suggestions on what Head Gasket to use? Going with the D16a6 block and Y8 head that is. Thanks.

The Y8 HG offers higher compression if it's 2-layer, OEM is the best bet like Luis998 said. Also Luis998, I'm doing the d16a6 (block), d16y8 VTEC "Mini-Me" Head swap. Thanks for your response.

so im assuming the y7 block is just as inferior as the y8 than? cause i have one of those in the garage that i kinda had plans for.....

Do you think in your situation that just a performance oil pump would work?. Might sound dumb and all but something to look into. I think I heard that the d16a6 block with a d16y8 head increases hp due to compression, then your problem would be solved!.

Back