Big engine + small car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

FirstTestfitLS1Ferge_mailcopy.jpg

Yeah, I'd say that engine bay's pretty full. As far as I know it's an LS1/T56 combo from either a TA WS-6 or a Camaro SS

Nope, just saw the pic on another forum. I guess the LS1 is light enough that it doesn't throw off the handling as bad as the 5.0 swap.

Unless he put corvette covers on the LS1, that's a corvette engine, which is rated at 350 hp... slightly more than an Fbody LS1 is rated for. It really doesn't matter though, because I've seen 325 hp LS1s put down 319 hp to the wheels.

On a side note, the LS1/LS6 only weighs in at 600 lbs, so he didn't add much weight to the engine bay, even though he added quite a bit more power to it.

They are, but they're still pretty big. The straight six out of the early Z-cars weighed about 600.

Not to mention the T56 is a heavy mofo.

EDIT: And 2000Si I meant that the T56 had to be from an F-body. the C5 has a transaxle.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jul 3 2005, 04:42 PM
600lbs?  imo thats alot.  i thought those were aluminum blocks?
[post=520212]Quoted post[/post]​

600 lbs is not a lot for a 346 cubic inch V8. Compare that to the iron block equipped supercharged 281 ci V8 in the 03-04 Cobras which weigh something like 800 lbs, and the SRT10 8.3L V10 Viper engine which weighs (if I recall correctly) damn near 1500 lbs.

The LS family of engines are lightweight for the size and power they produce.

edit: The C5s have T56s, all the 6 speeds are T56s. The Viper and Cobra also used T56s with different internals.

i mean i seen lots of v8s; sometimes they look smaller than some i4s. im guessing most of the weight is from the transmission, not the actual block?

also of course a iron block is going to be heavier.. :D

question: whats up with the steering wheel?

question 2: custom bodywork at all??

question 3: ok soooooo whats the weight of teh stock miata motor vs. the ls1 motor???

question 4: New weight distribution ratio? and, New power to weight ratio?

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Jul 3 2005, 10:44 PM

question 3: ok soooooo whats the weight of teh stock miata motor vs. the ls1 motor???

[post=520327]Quoted post[/post]​

1: looks like the steering wheel is removed.

2: doesn't look like it...

3: No idea.

4: No idea.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Jul 4 2005, 12:44 AM

[post=520327]Quoted post[/post]​

150-200 lbs depending. A BP engine without the head weighs about 100 lbs, this is what I've been told by someone who's had one shipped. But when I was pulling one out of the back end of my car, it felt more like 150 lbs. (block/crank/rods/pistons)

i dig it..probably will hall balls but handle like shit. their work looks great!

Thats got to be the least gay miata i've ever seen. I bet the power/weight ration is like 1/1 :p

I put a 350 small block in an opel gt before.. That took a hell of alot of work. Funniest thing was the drive shaft. It was like a foot long.

No THATS a hyrbid swap. Wonder how much modifcation/fabrication has to be done. They should start making mounting kits and so on for those kinds of swaps.

the LS1 weighs less than 400 lbs... thats with eveything but the ex manis and the pumps....

Back