big giant mmo thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

was asked about guild wars in WoW thread, started talking about all these other mmo's and figured id make a new thread.

i played guild wars in alpha/beta

its gay

way too linear. you walk along a set path, mobs spawn along the road. all these awesome landscapes and ruins and shit in the background and you cant explore them.
i felt like i was playing a prettied up fantasy version of crash bandicoot.
the pvp was way too easy.
only good thing about it was the combat system which felt alot like CoH.
the graphics werent bad, if youve ever used the bright screen feature on WoW thats what GW looks like. just lots of reflections and glowing shit.
free to play, but the gimmick is all the xpacs that come out you HAVE to buy to continue playing.

imo theres a reason theres no monthly charge. no fucking way id pay monthly to play it :p

i dl'd ashen empires and diddled around. not liking it very much, just feels WAY dated.

im also playing the 14 day trial of Eve online. been out for a while but i never played it, have some friends that do so im giving it a shot.

played the DDO stress test and that game atm is shit, it feels like a single player console game. the combat system is too boring. no pvp on release.

rfonline looks promising. mmo based around mechs in a futuristic setting. only thing worrying me is that its a korean game ( ala lineage 2 ). if its anything like lineage it would suck my ass. then again gunz is korean and its awesome.

pirates of the burning sea looks gay imo, the graphics just really dont do it for me.

vanguard looks like every other fantasy based mmo

at this point the one and only mmo im itching in anticipation over is WARHAMMER ONLINE!
it was being made by a swedish company called climax and it looked like shit. gw canceled it. at e3 last year gw (games workshop, owner of warhammer ip) signed a deal with mythic entertainment, the guys who made daoc. the game is in alpha stage now, expected release in 06.
http://www.warhammeronline.com
http://www.warhammeralliance.net/
go there for info :wink:

i still think DAoC is the best mmo out there as far as pvp is concerned. every week im tempted to start my account back up.

CoH has an awesome combat system, the game is just boring after about 2 weeks. instanced mission after instanced mission after instanced mission. i had more fun making new super heroes then i did actually playing them. pvp was released in arenas and i would sit in them for hours and noone else would come by. majority of the players are carebears and dont want pvp, its too bad. CoV the xpac, is basically the same exact game just form villains standpoint.

planetside is alright, i played it for a bit. only thing is i can name lots of other fps that are better. the only thing going for it is the massive scale, but nowadays in games like battlefield you get that anyway. couldnt justify paying monthly for it.

theres so many more that ive played, but im tired of typing. :p

Your post gave me a headache Micah, you rat bastard.

lol

mmorpg = massive multiplayer online role playing game

mmo for short :wink:

this thread just spawned off the WoW one :)

Only tbecause you refused to admit int hat thread that you expect too much from the makers of the game... You impatient bastard. :p

Me, my g/f and my brother played guild wars for awhile. We enjoy the gameplay, I just feel as though it's missing something that traditional mmo's have.

We're thinking about giving WoW a whirl.

Quoted post[/post]]We're thinking about giving WoW a whirl.

You won't regret it... at least for the first month or three.

Depending on how hard you get into the game, you STAY active with day to day questing to level 55+, and that's when end game starts to come in heavy. You can stay appeased and happy for some time if you expect to need help, and need to find a good guild.group to help out with everything from there out.

Trust me, there's plenty of people on any server that need the same quests and items you do, you will find help.

Quoted post[/post]]
Only tbecause you refused to admit int hat thread that you expect too much from the makers of the game... You impatient bastard. :p

nah, ive said multiple times that i enjoyed the game as i leveled up. the pvp is just shitty. pvp is the onlyr eason i play mmo's anymore.

The PvP is weak, but overall, I think it is one of the top 2 MMO's out there.

anyone try tibia? i used to play it all the time. its dated, but theres TONS to do. im on the amera server as "Usako"

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]We're thinking about giving WoW a whirl.

You won't regret it... at least for the first month or three.

Depending on how hard you get into the game, you STAY active with day to day questing to level 55+, and that's when end game starts to come in heavy. You can stay appeased and happy for some time if you expect to need help, and need to find a good guild.group to help out with everything from there out.

Trust me, there's plenty of people on any server that need the same quests and items you do, you will find help.

We're not 'powergamers' by any stretch - closer to casual than anything. We'd probably end up playing an hour or two a day. We're planning on getting the game next time we find a good deal on it (don't want to blow 80 bucks in one shot on a whim), sign up, and then cancel after the 30 day trial is over if we don't like it enough to pay the subscription.

Or figure out how to make a macro that says "Goddamn gooks!" whenever I strike a certain key. :p

ive been playing rose for 2 days... its FREE to d/l and try for 7 days. its a fucking keeper.

anyone that decides to give it a try, im "Usako" on there.

WoW is fun but you either need a credit card or a pre-paid game card. Tell me your name on there, make a alliance character and ill help ya out. I only have a lvl 7 dwarf paladin but I got nothing better to do. I need a faster comp the POS lags ALL the time!!

Back