Bitch axle Nut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecjdm

Ok .. this may sound the usual question about how to remove that bitch of an axle nut.
Indeed it is .. but this time i`m using a twin hammer impacter !!! and still doesn`t wanna get off. :blink:
I first bent the nut back so the nut could turn .. then used the impact drill.

Using 90psi on drill ... and turning in reverse ... what the helll ?!?!?! :blink:
Anyone had this prob ? ... am i doing something wrong or what

Drop the car to the floor. Get a 1/2" breaker bar and a pipe. Proceed to stomp on said pipe......

And it'll still be a bitch :p

Had the same problem with mine. Not even a 1/2" drive impact gun could break it. One die-grinder, propane torch and a whole lot of expletives latter, we got it off.

opss excuse me meant i used an impact ... not drill.

Hmm ... might depend on the actual impacter.
Torque may be diff from model to model on those impacters ... will try an other one tom.
But me still think the breaker bar is needed.... we`ll see

I kept breaking my 1/2" breaker bars (was putting pipes on it), so I went out and got a 3/4" breaker bar, smacked the nut with a sledgehammer, and jumped on the breaker bar, that got it loose.

Few ways to do it. If you have airtools, rent a really good impact gun and crank your compressor to 150psi and it should take it off. If not, put the wheel back on, punch out the center cap, lower the car, put the socket on the nut. put the breaker bar parallel to the ground, and slip a heavy duty steel pipe over the breaker bar (longer the better) and with a floor jack, raise the end of the pipe (have someone hold the brakes). If the pipe is 3 ft long, a corner of the car probally weighs about 600+ lbs, so thats 1800ftlbs on that nut. It will break it off

When I did mine, we thought it was moving, but no, the car was coming off the ground, so another friend jumped in held the brake and voila, 3/4 drive with a 5ft cheater pipe.

i just use a 1/2 drive 32mm impact socket with a breaker bar and a huge steel pipe and have my fat cousin ride on it. as soon as he starts to stand on it, pops it right off.

good idea on the impact socket. I have broken a craftman regular one before. Make sure you have a nice breaker bar, autozone ones have broken on me before also.

Wow, all this work seems a little tiring. Do what I did, and cut the nut off with a die-grinder.

you could heat the nut with a torch...

or you could try the ingersol rand 1/2" twin titanium hammer impact gun, that might do it...

i went out a bought a cheap 3/4 inch socket set, it was only like 50 bucks from places like harborfreighttool.com, etc

you can have someone hold the brake, or use a GOOD screwdriver in the rotor against the caliper, cheap screwdrivers will break...

the 3/4 set hasn't let me down yet...

i broke 2 - 1/2 inch ratchets and the 3/4 set took it right off...

Indeed changed the impact to a high power electric one and the nut got off in 5 secs ..! ... however ... <_< ... those 2 tranny mouting bolts didnt wanna get out no matter what !! Grrr ..

Fuck it ... i`ll have to give it to my mechanic. Had no space to use a breaker bar under the car since it was jacked ... damn.. <_<

Must admit cars in japan are built industructible ~

Indeed changed the impact to a high power electric one and the nut got off in 5 secs ..! ... however ... ... those 2 tranny mouting bolts didnt wanna get out no matter what !! Grrr ..

Fuck it ... i`ll have to give it to my mechanic. Had no space to use a breaker bar under the car since it was jacked ... damn..

what??

an electric impact handled what a air gun couldn;t?

what kind of electric impact? or was your air gun a POS?

and wtf are you talking about?
how did you not have room? what mounting bolts?

give us more info and we'll help you finish the job...

Hehe .. its a japanese make impact gun .... damn powerfull i may say ... still have my hands shaking.

The transmission on the back is held up by a 17mm bolt and 2 19mm bolts (basically the trasmission mounting bolts on the back) ... to remove them u have to get access them from under the car at the back of the engine.

Since my car is jacked up on stands (and the powerfull impact gun couldn`t take them off!! ) .. my only option would be breaker bar .. but i`ve barely got space for my self under the car .. let alone a long breaker bar .. got it now ?

you;re talking about the tranny bracket?

why not just remove the one mounting bolt? and pull the motor with the bracket still on...
it'll be tight but you should be able to get it...

Back