BitTorrent and You

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

Good day, folks, and welcome to BitTorrent and You. As some of you may have noticed, a good number of hyperlinks posted in the MultiMedia Forum have been directed to files with a ".torrent" extension. Confusion and anarchy soon erupted, resulting in such questions as:

"lol how do i play this video i have divx but it wont work lol!!!!!11!"

"wtf weres the movie and whats this little 26kb file???`1`~~"

Settle down, Johnny. Don't be alarmed. You've just downloaded your first torrent file. Torrent files are nothing more than text files containing instructions and directions for a BitTorrent Client to create connections and download data, which the client app compiles into the desired file.

Now that you've downloaded the torrent file, you'll need a BitTorrent (BT) client application. Most, if not all BT clients are Java based in their operations, so, you need to have Java installed on your computer for them to work. You will have to go here (Java Client) and download the latest Java application for your operating system.
Many people recommend Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net), but it can be a bit complicated for the novice user. There are many other clients available if you don't catch on to Azureus. Just bring up Google and search for "Bit Torrent client".

Once you have downloaded and installed a client that you are comfortable with, it's time to open the torrent file. Use the client application to open the torrent file, then just wait for the client to download the data. Download speeds will be dependent upon the number of other users on the BitTorrent network who are seeding (sharing) the file. For this reason it is important to leave the torrent in a seeded state for as long as possible after your download is complete. That way, other users are able to download faster which makes the BitTorrent Network a much happier place.

(insert 1950s EduFilm soundtrack)
Well kids, now that you've successfully downloaded your first file via BitTorrent, you are open to an entire world of sharing possibilities.

Removed comment about "activities"... you never know what someone might pick up and ......

i use turbotorrent also because... I + turobtorrent = uber Ph33r |\/|y 1337 sk1llz!

good post.

i couldnt believe all the wtf how do i play this shit posts, lol

Disclaimer:

Battle Pope, Bit Torrent, any BT client, or any other public or private entity can not be held responsible of the repercussions of when your wife sees the word "downloading" next to "phallic avengers volume 5".

cool...but i have 1 question...once i download the file...i used turbotorrent.....how do i launch it...or view/play the file....

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jul 18 2005, 11:28 AM
turbotorrent is alot easier to use than azureus, and is integrated into the windows shell.
[post=527979]Quoted post[/post]​

We haven't learned our lesson about integration yet, have we?

Anyway great one Pope! You need to make a flash of that :)

bit tornado DOES NOT conform to TRUE BT specs, and a LOT of sites will ban you for using it. Why? because it doesn't report back your uploading. so, basically, you will have a 0 share ratio, and get banned.

azereus is the best, most complete, BT solution out there at the moment.

if you can't figure it out, you're seriously a retard.

once installed, clikc a .torrent link, and select open.

how hard is that?

People complain about azureus owning their internet connection, but if you cap off your upload speed while you're surfing then there's no problem.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 25 2005, 08:05 PM
bit tornado DOES NOT conform to TRUE BT specs, and a LOT of sites will ban you for using it. Why? because it doesn't report back your uploading. so, basically, you will have a 0 share ratio, and get banned.
[post=530820]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, it does, I have been using it :) My ratio has been going up on Demonoid. Azureus, while pretty and all, kills my internet connection. Bittornado is Bitttorrent, just tweaked, at least that's what they say on their site.

I am never able to do this with Azureus either.
gallery_630_77_26403.jpg

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 25 2005, 01:05 PM-->
azereus is the best, most complete, BT solution out there at the moment.
if you can't figure it out, you're seriously a retard.
[post=530820]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

Battle Pope
@Jul 25 2005, 01:47 PM
People complain about azureus owning their internet connection, but if you cap off your upload speed while you're surfing then there's no problem.
[post=530851]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Super easy to configure.

having 23423423 windows is retarded. i'm sorry.

when im using my machine, i drop my upload to 20k and my dl to 150k.

i have no problems.

if im DL'ing 500k and u/l/ing 45-50k, sure, you're maxed out. of course theres no b/w left. lol

but, with all your 32423 boxes, how do you even know what your usage/caps are?

azereus > *

Back