BMW Builds a Self-Driving Car — That Drifts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
god damnit BMW :(
The ultimate self-driving machine

BMW Builds a Self-Driving Car — That Drifts | Autopia | Wired.com

BMW makes the Ultimate Driving Machine, and now it’s made the Ultimate Drifting Machine. Except it’s the code that’s in control.

At CES, BMW is showing off a modified 2-Series Coupe and 6-Series Gran Coupe that can race around a track at the limits of adhesion, and slide around corners like a throttle-happy Formula Drift ace.

Both cars are outfitted with a LIDAR system, 360-degree radar, ultrasonic sensors, and cameras that track the environment. Partnered with the electronic braking, throttle, and steering control that’s standard on all new BMWs, the prototypes can run through a high-speed slalom, perform precise lane changes, and slide around corners, without any driver intervention.

This is just the latest iteration of BMW’s autonomous driving tech, which began with its Track Trainer project that used GPS, waypoint markers, and uploaded track maps to run around Laguna Seca and the Nürburgring nearly as fast as a professional hot shoe.

This new suit of systems have been undergoing testing in Germany for the better part of a year, logging some 9,000 miles of real-world driving in cities and on the autobahn, keeping up with 80 mph traffic — further proof that your next car will be a better driver than you.
BMW M235i drifts itself during CES demo - YouTube

Dear BMW:

a2cc581e23ade96b69bc94f78ed28689f14a2a0dc65d5664d5b46102747afe6f.jpg

Sincerely:
E

I sure as hell don't want human-controlled driving outlawed or anything, but being able to sit and watch a movie during your commute, or go to sleep in your car at night in one state, and wake up in the morning in another? You've got to admit that sounds useful.

You could put a dent in air travel... Use those otherwise-wasted night hours for moving yourself around while you sleep, only waking up for gas.

I sure as hell don't want human-controlled driving outlawed or anything, but being able to sit and watch a movie during your commute, or go to sleep in your car at night in one state, and wake up in the morning in another? You've got to admit that sounds useful.

You could put a dent in air travel... Use those otherwise-wasted night hours for moving yourself around while you sleep, only waking up for gas.
How freaky would it be to get passed by a guy who's snoring? But think about insurance fraud? Pull out in front of an automated vehicle. The driver didn't override because he was asleep or reading the paper. We can't get the accelerator on a Prius right, you think we're ready for cars that take car of everything?

I have trouble sleeping in the car anyway. But, that's probably just my lack of trust in any human being that isn't me though.

We can't get the accelerator on a Prius right, you think we're ready for cars that take car of everything?

I definitely don't expect it to work well enough for sleeping for at least a few decades, but the end game will be pretty sweet. Provided they don't actually outlaw human-driving in the process.

I'd rather high speed tubes or Scotty beaming me from A to B.

Meh I still think drifting is gay.

Definitely, but at the end of the day its about getting around the track the fastest. Drifting is just fossil fuel guzzling 4000lb ballerinas making their way around a closed course.

is figure skating about getting around the rink as fast as possible? no, it's about style and judging.

same concept really.

and less crazy Russian skater bitches

Back