Brake Disc and Pad Replace Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am trying to finsih the rear disc swap, but I have run into an issue where I can't compress the caliper piston enough to fit over the new pads/rotors. I am using a C clamp to compress it. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this to work? It needs to compress about1/8" more to work. Thanks.

Originally posted by sureshot007@Jul 13 2005, 11:28 PM
I am trying to finsih the rear disc swap, but I have run into an issue where I can't compress the caliper piston enough to fit over the new pads/rotors. I am using a C clamp to compress it. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this to work? It needs to compress about1/8" more to work. Thanks.
[post=525803]Quoted post[/post]​

NOOOO STOP.

The rears calipers do not compress with a c-clamp. Chances are you may have even fucked up the caliper. The piston is on a large screw. Do you see how there is like a cross pattern on the piston? Use a pair of needle nose, or stick a screwdriver in a flat, and turn it as if you were tightining a bolt.

Wow, I did not know that. I have some rears waiting for me in my garage, and would have probably done the same shit. Thanks sol brothers. :)

When I couldn't get mine to compress, I just took off the caliper, put a long-ass socket extension in it, and beat the crap out of it with a sledge until it compressed.

Brakes still work fine, too :)

Originally posted by civicious@Jul 14 2005, 06:40 AM
When I couldn't get mine to compress, I just took off the caliper, put a long-ass socket extension in it, and beat the crap out of it with a sledge until it compressed.

[post=525953]Quoted post[/post]​

but does your ebrake still work. You may want to take your caliper off and check to see how your brake pads are wearing. By doing the compression by force, you can cause the piston to not come out straight, causing only part of the pad to make contact.

boy i am about to buy my rear swap in a couple of days.......good thing i read this.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 14 2005, 09:41 AM-->
civicious
@Jul 14 2005, 06:40 AM

[post=525953]Quoted post[/post]​

but does your ebrake still work. You may want to take your caliper off and check to see how your brake pads are wearing. By doing the compression by force, you can cause the piston to not come out straight, causing only part of the pad to make contact.
[post=525997]Quoted post[/post]​

ebrake doriftoooooooooooooo still works, y0!

Back