brake system volume?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

just wondering if anyone knows how much brake fluid a 5thgen civic/3g teg holds?

I was an idiot and listened to the guy at the parts department (Honda) when he said that I would only need one bottle of fluid... pretty sure I'm going to need more now as I'm not done bleeding yet and I'm out of fluid

I completely drained my brakes, calipers, lines and all

also, does anyone have any good tips on bleeding brakes... is it just a real pain in the ass when you have an empty system... seems like it's taking too much time and I'm not getting much for results?
do you have to turn the car on ever to help build pressure in the system?

sorry, I haven't ever worked on brakes before so I'm not to privy on all the new s##t

thanks
Sean

1 bottle should be enough. depends on the size of the bottle though i guess.

its really a two person job. you can't physically hold down the pedal and release the system pressure by yourself.
no need to turn the car on.

pump pump pump... make sure master is topped off, bleed

RRear
LR
RFront
LF

furtherst away from master to closest.
when the RR starts spitting out pure fluid, no air bubbles, shes done. close it up, and go to the next one.

I think it is just a pint bottle.... but it has to fill the pistons as well as the lines because I totally drained them

I have been using a vacuum kit that I bought but also had someone helping me out as well...

thanks though

Why did you drain the system?

Master cylinder too?

Pint will not be enough get a quart. If the system set open by more and flush it..... Fluid it cheap...... not stopping priceless....

I used over a quart when I did mine, no wya a pint is going to be enough if you emptied them.

The last time I did a full system flush, it only took me a pint- and that was with the larger 15/16 master cylinder too.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 15 2005, 10:41 PM
The last time I did a full system flush, it only took me a pint- and that was with the larger 15/16 master cylinder too.
[post=512703]Quoted post[/post]​

werd, i've never used more than that...
and i have the larger GSR master resivoir on my car now.

if you're bleeding more than a pint, you're doing something wrong. a quick "Pssspft" and re-tighten is all you need. you don't have to sit there and let it drip out. a table spoon to about 1/4 cup per corner of spent bled fluid is about average i'd say.

Everytime I have bled brakes after draining or nearly draining the system, it takes more than a couple quick hits at each corner.

sure- the first corner takes a while... but theres no need to let perfectly good fluid out. you're trying to get rid of the air in the lines-- not the fluid in the lines.

yeah, I think I have been letting too much fluid out... especially at the first corner

I drained the whole system because
A. it was original old fluid
B. I replaced all the calipers/drums with the brakes from a 98 gsr
c. I put on a 7/8 MC
d. I replaced the hardline going to the front right

anyway, a buddy of mine that works at honda gave me another pint for free so that should be enough to finish even if I over do it a little

I kind of was doing it to flush the old dirty stuff out of the lines and calipers as well

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 15 2005, 02:29 PM
RRear
LR
RFront
LF

when the RR starts spitting out pure fluid, no air bubbles, shes done. close it up, and go to the next one.
[post=512405]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, it's R Rear, F left, R left, F right :)

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 16 2005, 11:37 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jun 15 2005, 02:29 PM
RRear
LR
RFront
LF

when the RR starts spitting out pure fluid, no air bubbles, shes done.  close it up, and go to the next one.
[post=512405]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, it's R Rear, F left, R left, F right :)
[post=512895]Quoted post[/post]​

yep, that is what Helms says

odd... my del sol one says the way i have.

technically, you're supposed to start from the furthest path and work your way to the shortest path.

i dunno.

technically, you're supposed to start from the furthest path and work your way to the shortest path.

i dunno.

Thats what I heard too. Damn these conflicting methods right before i'm doin a brake swap.

When you said you drained the whole system, did you let the MC go empty? If so, is that bad? I heard not to let the MC go empty when you bleed brakes because something about damaging the seals in the mc. Is that true because at the sametime, how else are you suppose to completely flush the old fluid if you wanted to do so unless you just kept pouring more and more fluid and bleeding the crap out of it.
???

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 17 2005, 05:18 AM

i dunno.
[post=513247]Quoted post[/post]​

What year DelSol Helms do you have? I got that from the 95 DelSol and the 94 Civic.

brakes are bled and the car stops when the pedal goes down

pedal isn't very stiff but it feels ok

I might rebleed a little to see if there are any tiny little spare bubbles hanging on in there

only thing is that the hawk pads I put on the back came with a backing plate on them that doesn't work with the caliper.... the caliper only contacts about half of the backing plate... and therefore the pad is only using the outside half of the rotor

I'm thinking that I will pull the pad out and remove the hawk backing plate and put the honda one on from the old pads

Back