breaking news

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
toxic explosion in NO... something just blew up... not sure what it was...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/

the quote from the mayor about the lack of response:

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there," Mayor Ray Nagin told WWL-AM Thursday night. "Excuse my French everybody in America but I am pissed."

“This is a national disgrace,†said New Orleans’ emergency operations chief Terry Ebbert. “We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims, but we can’t bail out the city of New Orleans.â€

and its officialyl become a war zone...

“They have M-16s and they’re locked and loaded,†she said. “These troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so, and I expect they will.â€

Amid the lawlessness in New Orleans, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced plans to deploy 1,400 additional National Guard personnel each day for the next several days.

and then this:

FEMA scrambles to provide aid
FEMA director Michael Brown said Thursday that the agency had just learned about the situation at the convention center and quickly scrambled to provide food, water and medical care and remove the corpses.

do they live in a box? we've heard about it since tues night... wtf?

Originally posted by Bob Vila@Sep 2 2005, 08:21 AM
yeah I few rail cars blew up, no one knows if its hazardous material yet though...
[post=548672]Quoted post[/post]​

They just said on CNN that there wasn't any hazardous material in there, they supposedly talked to the owner.

Ok, it's been 5 days right? And they are feeding and sheltering 75,000 between Texas and La. If you have any clue what it takes to organize a force to feed and shelter a group the size of a small army in five days, you'd see that things are going as fast as they fucking can.

There is no miracle going to fall from the sky and the city of 1.5 million people be saved and returned to their homes and previous lifestyles, nothing. On top of that you have criminals, never mind stealing things that are going to be useless, stealing and using guns on rescue workers. Wow lets all freak out and blame the US when a hurricane wipes a town of the map and then the populace helps make it worse.

Originally posted by swanny+Sep 2 2005, 01:34 PM-->
@Sep 2 2005, 08:21 AM
yeah I few rail cars blew up, no one knows if its hazardous material yet though...
[post=548672]Quoted post[/post]​

They just said on CNN that there wasn't any hazardous material in there, they supposedly talked to the owner.
[post=548680]Quoted post[/post]​

The town is a cess pool right now, well it was before, now it's just everywhere. Sewerlines, fuel, peoples own diasese, and when the mosquitoes come into effect...oh shit that's going to be a bad place to be. Garbage dumps, water treatment plants, biohazard storage, gas stations, all leaking into the water everyone is walking aroud in, some are drinking.

well i'm getting ready to go back to my house today. my dad went yesturday and said that our whole neighbor hood did really well and out house wasn't that bad. he said all the firefighters, etc. were deputized and had side arms and there were cops constantly going up and down the neighborhood. I'll post some pics up of some things, but it won't be that great because they picked most the stuff up and i'm not going to go any further than st. charles parish.

dude, i wouldn't recommned that at all.

just leave it there-- buy new shit, and hold out and make an insurance claim. its not worth it.

I just hope all the folks down there that owned homes were smart enough to purchase flood insurance because no insurance companies will be paying out losses that were caused by flood in regards to there normal homeowners insurance policy.

regardless, they still have an owner. Most folks dont know that their homeowners policy doesn't cover flood damage. I hope for their sake, knowing that their city is protected by levee's that they would be smart enough to inquire prior to this disaster.

i bet its nearly impossible to GET flood ins. in that area....

heard on NPR this morning that the national guard troops that are moving into the city have permission to shoot to kill...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 2 2005, 08:56 AM
heard on NPR this morning that the national guard troops that are moving into the city have permission to shoot to kill...
[post=548741]Quoted post[/post]​

Posted this in one of the other Katrina threads:

"These are not looters and petty theives they'll be shooting.

Full out Warlords have taken power with assault weapons and scores of followers. At the moment, they ARE the law. And like anyone in power, they're not going to give it up without a fight."

They have permission to kill, but are still held accountable. It's not Mad Max down there in the lines of the National Guard and it's supporting people.

The Haitian gangs, however, look pretty damned dangerous. Thanks for turning US soil into another of your war zones.

As for the explosion, a few people reported that - The fire did break out on news camera, but the news crew didn't hear an explosion. It's not official yet.

As far as the Federal aid - Truly, communications were out. They didn't know until yesterday that the total damage area - Uninhabitable - was 90,000 square miles. That's larger than Idaho. (Heard that on the news). They didn't know it was that bad.

The Convention center was largely forgotten about. The only means of communication the government has seen from down there was the News Crews in place - Nothing official to report the status of the city. And I recall hearing that the convention center was used, but since all cameras were on the Superdome (And not even the building across the street) all that a lot ofpeople in Government were reporting was "We have to evacuate the superdome"

This is the exact Scenario that Tom Ridge talked about. Government lines of communication depended on Media outlets - Because the media usually gets there first. But these people aren't qualified to report the major bits of info that rescue services need. In the Tsunami, the military was the first and only line of communication (And the Tamil Tigers, which surprised even me). But News Media was a secondary outlet.

I can see how the break down occured - And lemme tell you, I was GLUED to the television and websites for the past week, and even I didn't know that 90,000 sq. miles, the convention center, and still people on roofs of buildings were an issue ! I knew about oil platforms, but nothing about the more than 20,000 in 4 locations EACH that contained pockets of survivors. People standing on bridges in the heat for 4 days.

I knew of the street gangs, but I didn't know the extent. For them to call each unit of National Guard there must be 800 armed assailants, at most. That means that there are potentially thousands of gang members there thinking that they can somehow take over the streets.

Pandemonium, and as usual, I blame it firmly on Haitians.

-> Steve

Back