Bseries Valve Cover (not What You Think)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

heterosapian

I want a valve cover for my bseries that doesnt advertise the technology. I'll be sticking a b16 into my crx and want to keep mr.emissions happy. I know it will pass everything unless they look under the hood and see the big DOHC vtec, and since neither vtec nor dualies were available for my car, it wont pass. I just recently learned that you cannot swap technology into a vehicle that wasnt available for thaT vehicle from a guy who got busted running a 95 LT1 in his 74 240Z (its one hell of a hybrid) that we thought was grandfathered anyway! Anybody know a vc that would work?
thanks
peace

i am guessing your in cali? You are allowed to as long as it is the same year as your chassis or newer. Make sure that you have all US emmissions stuff on it.

I'm in Virginia. I used to think that that was true, the newer into older thing, but apparently its not. I just talked to a mechanic about it last night and he says that garages have been busted for approving things like this. The state emmisions board will sometimes set up sting ops by sending cars like that Z in to get inspected. I'm assuming that this is a recent addage but whatever, it's there and it sucks.

If that is the case,I doubt you'll get past visual with a DOHC,whether it has vtec on it or not.

yeah, i thought about that one too. I think i'm just gunna drive 4hours to my freind's college and have his roommate pass me. Thats probly the best way anyway.

Here I asked for you.

Thank you for your interest in Air Check Virginia. This is in response to your inquiry reference an engine switch.

Engine switches present a challenge, particularly when the engine is not identical in every respect to the original engine. The following is relevant to the current vehicle emissions inspection program in Northern Virginia only; the law or regulations may change, and other jurisdictions may have differing requirements.

Generally speaking, as long as the replacement engine matches one that was offered by the manufacturer for that particular vehicle and model year, the engine is at least the same year or newer and has all emissions control equipment appropriate for that "configuration," it will pass the visual examination inspection for emissions components. Engine replacements that do not match a manufacturer's original "certified configuration" may be deemed to be "tampered" according to the U.S. EPA.

For information on engine switches and tampering, please visit the following U.S. EPA's web pages. For tampering information: http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/po...per-memo1a.pdf; for engine switches: http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/po...e/engswitch.pdf.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any questions or need additional information, please don't hesitate to contact the Mobile Source Operations Section at (703) 583-3900 or toll-free in Virginia at 1-800-275-3844.

Sincerely,
Mike Thompson
Program Manager
Air Check Virginia
(703) 583-3900
fax (703) 583-3871
email: jmthompson@deq.state.va.us
Air Check Website: http://www.deq.state.va.us/mobile/homepage.html

Texas laws for swaps HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Engine Swaps
Rules regulating engine swapping are not make/model specific. The simple rule is that a vehicle must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, which may include:

PCV - positive crankcase ventilation
ACL - air cleaner (thermostatic air cleaner)
AIS - secondary air injection
EGR - exhaust gas recirculation
EVAP - evaporative emission
CAT - catalytic convertor
SPK - spark control
FR - fillpipe restrictor
O2S - oxygen sensor

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 24 2003, 04:41 PM
Texas laws for swaps HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Engine Swaps
Rules regulating engine swapping are not make/model specific. The simple rule is that a vehicle must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, which may include:

PCV - positive crankcase ventilation
ACL - air cleaner (thermostatic air cleaner)
AIS - secondary air injection
EGR - exhaust gas recirculation
EVAP - evaporative emission
CAT - catalytic convertor
SPK - spark control
FR - fillpipe restrictor
O2S - oxygen sensor

:werd:

Cant' wait... even better. The town i live in here in Oklahoma, they have NO rules.. no inspections, no emissions, no NOTHING! :lol:

lucky, i live in california and they are major cocks about swaps. i live in san diego and my boys have gotten pulled over just because they're asian and they drive a civic. it sux to say but there is mad discrimination out there! ;)

some of my friends got pulled over and got referred to a referee because they have swaps in their cars.

Lets say you have a 5th gen hatch in cali, with a B18, could you tell the cop this car is actually an imported SiR II and the motor is stock. But you had a LHD conversion?

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Feb 25 2003, 01:48 AM
try a d16ai cover i dont know if it would fit but all is says it honda motor company

Don't think they will work.

Would the b18b valve cover work? i mean just taking a valve cover off a non-vtec engine and puttin it on there. You should come to North Carolina, its just like Texas except they dont care what you have as long as you pass emissions, which is usually just add a catalytic converter. Some counties in NC dont even have to have a emission test.

nope, there are clearance issues. Someone a while back was asking on how to make a total sleeper. he was asking if it would be possible to sand/grinde DOHC VTEC part out. This is possible to do but you will have to podercoat the valve cover because otherwise you'll never get the paint texture and color to match.

Emmissions is BS now days. Who cares what engine is in the car, as long as it burns efficiently and will pass inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back