Build Me A New Computer!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
ok, its time to upgrade. 256mb P3 600 is killing me. not to mention my 2mb video :(
time for something new.

I have a good portion of the shit already.... drives, case, etc

so i need a new board, ddr ram, agp card, chip, fan for that chip, heatsink for that chip, etc etc

what parts are good
what parts suck

im out of the loop

budget is 500 bucks or so.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 7 2003, 02:44 AM
ohh, and fuck intel. AMD owns me :)

Crushed cores and chips that die after 6 months 0wn AMD. Go P4 if you can spend the extra cash.

http://www.hardocp.com
http://www.anandtech.com

Go read up. There's too much to say if you want everyone's recommendations. You can check out some of Anand's system builder guides and go from there... they're pretty good.

ok, but, i took their poll, and 71% are amd users, 21% are intel. and mic others. if they suck so bad, why do they have 3/4 of the market over there?

intel. there are more amd users on that one particular website poll cuz that is a computer geek's website. as i hope you know (if you are not one of them)... computer geeks are idiots... just cuz they can build a computer dosen't mean they've got their head on stright. people that buy amd's are cheap... they overclock the chips and fry 'em. intel makes a much better chip... but amd is cheaper. like most things in life... you get what you pay for. like calesta said... get the P4 if you can fit it in your budget.

i agree. amd is more popular only cause its cheaper than intel. my uncle builds systems for large corporations as a living and he says the intel p4 processor is what he'd recommend.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 7 2003, 03:46 AM
ok, but, i took their poll, and 71% are amd users, 21% are intel. and mic others. if they suck so bad, why do they have 3/4 of the market over there?

They're cheap- and a better value for the money, performance wise.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Apr 7 2003, 04:46 AM
computer geeks are idiots... just cuz they can build a computer dosen't mean they've got their head on stright.

Uh... I take offense to that. :angry:

Originally posted by Prowler@Apr 7 2003, 07:00 AM
It's all about work cycles. AMD ownz j00.
So why is it that the AMD Athlon XP 1700+ at 1.43Ghz (my processor) out performs the P4 1.7ghz? My point exactly.
I haven't had a problem with my MSI board, so I'd recommend that.

It doesn't outperform the P4 in everything, just like the P4 doesn't outperform it in everything. Intel has a more solid product, but it is more expensive... I was sick of AMD parts dying on me, even without overclocking or other abuse that would lead to an early demise, and I wanted the ultimate fastest performance- so my main system is a P4. The fastest Intel chip is still faster than the fastest AMD chip.

so people who build our ECUs are geeks? and youre dissin them?

IMO the AMDs are better than intel on video games, but cost much much less. if you are a gamer, go amd.

i want it for work such as building hondaswap :) and the other main thing i do on here is watch dvds/divx rips
i don't need top of the line... 2 ghz, 512 ram is plenty for me, but id like a 128 vid card agp 8x

ohh, and also, my computer is NEVER turned off. its been on for about a year straight now hahaha so that is an issue to think about as well

I have never in my life of using AMD which is about 10 years now had a problem with thier chips.

B. I'd go with a Tyan Thunder S246x type MB dual AMD (MP type if you can afford them) what ever speed you want. the Tyan board require Registerd ECC DDR ram a little bit more $$ but it's worth it. the ATI 9700 or the nVidia GeForce4 4600 Ti would be a video card to look into.
I haven't turned my system off in over 2 months, and the only resaon I did was to install some newer hardware.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 7 2003, 04:46 AM

Cheap asses, that's why. Just like in auto parts, you get what you pay for. Newegg, crucial, and pricewatch have decent prices, but I am a lazy bastard and bought a P4 2 ghz 640 MB RAM Dell with monitor, bad ass speakers, sub, printer, etc for like 1100, and that was a year ago, so u can get it cheaper now. The only time I turn off my comp is when windows XP does their ghey auto updates, other than that, it's always running.

crx-yem, that's a lot more than what he was looking into man.

And you wont save $100+ going amd, for the same speeds and quality MB's it's about $50-80 cheaper for a more worked, factory oc'ed, hotter cpu.

Also, agp 8x is very overrated. 4x cards can meet or beat some 8x cards(like the ti4200 8x board). At this point in time, games and apps aren't demanding enough. And VC's already have SO much memory.

Now you can get an intel system like this:
1.8 ghz - 140
abit MB - 100
512 ddr333 - 80
80gb HD - 85
dvd - 40
52x24x52x cd-rw - 50
ati 9500 - 150
2.1 speakers - 50-80
floppy - 10
keyboard/etc - 50
case w/ps - 60
19" crt - 200

that's 1045. And it will kick Dell's prices for the same equipment. And I chose no brands that have bad reps(abit is fine, non-oc'ed, k?). All at newegg.com. Now depending on your budget, you can cut back a little or get more. If you come up with a price number it's a lot easier to judge what to cut back on too.

AMD all the way... i have never had a amd processor take a shit on me. in fact the only chips that have failed on me have been IBM and intel. i have an athlon XP 2200, in my windows box and it rocks, i have seen them for like 85 bucks on pricewatch...

ok heres the deal, my dad used to build computers and computer programs for the governemnt, NSA (national security agency). he still does, but not directly. he knows what is good. hes one of the biggest geeks i know, but ill be damned if he cant do ANYTHING on a computer. he builds servers, pcs, everything. he would recommend for the type of thing you are gonna use it for, to spend the extra money and get the p4. and even possible the xeon version. xeon has a larger and full speed cache rather than half speed like regular processors. this means the proccesor wont be waiting on data. so thats my recommendation for CPU. expect to pay alot for this processor though. asus makes good boards.

in case anyone is wondering, my dad has built a server for our house that is completely networked and is runnig off of dual 2.4 gHz P4 xeons total of 4.8 gHz. papa got skillz y0. (and yes B, his computer is on 24/7/365)

Back