Building an EG9 monster from scratch.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shaunng

Heya,

before I go on blabbering about my ride project here's a brief introduction of myself. About 2 months ago, I got my very first 'real' car - A 1992 4dr Honda Civic. I was driving a piece of shit car earlier on - a Daihatsu Mira copy manufactured locally here in Malaysia. Little did I know, the Honda came with a B16A2 engine and I was immediately hooked when the V-tec was engaged. I had so much fun and started reading up more on Hondas. Since then I've decided to build this baby to be a street monster. K, enough about me lets get on with the ride!

I’ve done some minor research about 1992 Civic Sedans and noticed that my ride probably came with a D15B7, D15B8 or D15Z1. It doesn’t really matter anyway because now the B16A2 is in it. The engine is purely stock – no mods whatsoever. Even the exterior of the car is modest – no side skirts, HIDs, rims blah blah. The funniest thing ever was the tranny – it’s automatic… Refer to the picture I’ve posted.

Now, I’ve asked around and did some research on the stuff that I could add to boost my ride’s performance and looks. And here are the things that I’ve found out so far (please feel free to correct me, I’m a noob!):-

1. Shocks, Braking system, Tyres and Rims

a)First ever thing to do is to change my shocks (which I hear will lower the car down and provide a lot better stability than my stock shocks). Planning to get soft/hard adjustable racing shocks but really got no idea what brands are good for Hondas..there are so many out there. There’s one brand that caught my attention though – Tein. Ran a price check and boy they cost a bomb. Any suggestions? HWLs? D1s? Stock Integra DC2 Shocks?

b)Next would be my brakes. The stock brakes suck ass. (I was at 118 mp/h the other day and almost crashed into a divider – the car won’t stop! Really freaked me out). I took a look at the brakes on my car and noticed they were disc brakes. Front and Rear. Puzzled, I asked around and found out about single pot and twin pot brakes (not sure what you guys call them over there in the states). Well, initial plan would be to have steel braided piping installed and change the front brakes to twin pot calipers – I think they come with the disc too. But I read somewhere about 6 pot brakes – instead of 2 big ‘pistons’ they have 6 small ‘pistons’ hence distributing energy more evenly on the discs when u brake. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

c)Tyres & Rims
I would most probably go for 15†rims and pair them with 205 width tyres. Not sure if that would work though. That’s exactly why I’m here! My choice of rims would most probably be Spoon 15s. Any better suggestions?

Three noob questions here. Here we go, first question; how would 16†rims fare with my engine setup? Will my pickup be reduced (I know, theoretically yes. But if my engine is souped up? Refer to my engine setup below).

Second question; do I need different camber arms (not sure if this is correct) for 16†rims?

Third question; what are those tyres with the ‘hard spine’ near the part where the tyre meets the rim called?

2.Engine

a)Air filter
Right now it’s the squarish filter that came stock with the engine. In this department, I think…. I’m really spoilt for choice. So many different makes out there. Any suggestions here because I don’t want to get something and regret it and have to change it later on. Money wasted + Time wasted + Effort wasted = epic ph4iL.

b)Adjustable pulleys
I’ve done some research about pulleys and this is what I understand; adjustable pulleys enable the tweaking of intake and exhaust valve timing – when they open and close. In short, you can make them open faster (to add more power) or close later (to add more compression?). Question here is how much power will it add and I’m sure it will increase my fuel consumption. I’m planning to go for AEM pulleys. I’ve gone through some reviews and most of them say that they’re just ok and a little bit overpriced. But I can’t really think of any other makes.

c)Manual tranny
Yes oh yes! The automatic transmission now (although still allows me to engage my good ole V-Tec) makes me go zzzzzz.. I believe I should be looking for the Y1 gear box? Or is there something better assuming I want to go for Forged Pistons and err..Skunk2 Stage II Cam Shafts in the future? I’m looking for something that allows me to go REV HAPPY!! Any ideas?

Noob alert: What are the long term implications when swapping your standard B16A2 pistons and Cam Shafts with Forged Pistons and Matching Camshafts? A friend of mine just did that and the engine seemed fine..so far.

d)ECU or Piggyback?
Should I be going for a whole ECU say like a B18C ECU or just go for a piggyback like the VManage Kit by Greddy?

e)4-2-1 Header
This is a must. Not sure which brand to go for but I might just settle for a used B18C header. Any ones that I should be considering here?

f)Exhaust piping
Right now it’s the weaksauce 2†pipe I believe (the one that came standard with the car prior to the engine transplant). Think I’m going for the 2.5†one. Any suggestions? Bigger? Smaller? Optimum size?

That’s pretty much it for now. I think I’ll leave the exterior and interior job for a later post. Please note that I have the general idea of what to install but I’m really in dire need of more suggestions: things that you guys have done to your car and felt that they were great investments. I’m aware this is a B.I.G. wall of text and you guys have my sympathy. /evilgrin.

Shocks by themselves won't lower your car, you need springs as well. Technically, you can lower your car with just springs, but I'd recommend new shocks as well. The factory shocks won't hold up well once the car is lowered. Another option is to look into a full coilover setup (this is probably what you were looking at from Tein). Full coilovers have the shock and spring together as one unit and are height adjustable.

As far as the wheels go, yes, might need to get an alignment if you're installing bigger wheels. However, if you plan on lowering the car, then an alignment is going to be a must anyway. New shocks and springs that lower your car will mess with the suspension geometry, so an alignment will be a must. You may need adjustable camber arms, depending on how low you decide to go. Generally, if you're dropping more than 1.5", you should probably get camber adjusters.

For the brakes, I'd suggest you upgrade to some better pads and the stainless lines before doing a complete caliper upgrade. The caliper upgrade will be expensive, so I'd do the other stuff first and see if you're satisfied or not.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the air filter. Even the best intakes out there only add minimal horsepower. Unless you want to spend like $300+ on an AEM V2 intake, I'd suggest just replacing your stock filter with a K&N, or buying a cheap intake tube and putting a nice filter on it (K&N, AEM, whatever).

For the pulleys, I think you're confused. It sounds like you're talking about adjustable cam gears. If that's the case, then yes, they do what you described. If you're actually talking about pulleys, those do something different.

For the transmission, what you want is a hydraulic B16 gearbox. Your car is setup for hydraulic, so avoid the older cable trannys, unless you want to spend money on a conversion kit.

For the ECU, what you're going to want to do is find one that's chippable (like a P28 for example) and then have it tuned for your motor setup. Your car would probably run alright on a B18C Type R ECU, but it's not the best choice. Greddy's E-Manage would work as well.

For the header, I'd look for a B18C Type R manifold, or a copy (lots of companies make them). That's probably honestly the best header choice that's not ridiculously expensive. For the exhaust, I would probably stick with 2.25" actually, nothing bigger than 2.5" for sure. This is a 1.6 liter we're talking about, you don't need a giant exhaust.

And as for the forged internals, just make sure everything's put together properly, and take it to a dyno tuner and get a good tune, and your motor should be fairly reliable. It's all about the quality of your build and the tuning.

Hope that helps...

I think I won't be doing anything to the internals of the engine.

Right now this is my list of things that I'm going to do and some questions attached to them mid-March:-

Transmission
Manual tranny - A Stock B16A gearbox along with a TVM short shifter. Question: will this be sufficient(refer to engine mod below)?

Engine
1.Simota-style air intake tube (the one that looks like a pregnant whale) and a K&N air filter. Picture: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2285799295_5acbc6855c_m.jpg

2.A B18C Type R 4-2-1 header.

3.Adjustable Cam pulleys. - Will this still help even if I don't go for racing cam shafts (ie: Stock B16A2 cam shafts)

Exhaust system
1.B18C Type R stock exhaust piping. - How will this affect the sound of the car? Deeper growling or Higher Screaming?

2.Not sure what kind of muffler I should be going for. I want something that gives off a low deep growl but not too loud. Main concern is that it will scream when V-tec is engaged. Any suggestions?

Suspension
GAB SS shocks for EG9. Hi-Lo Soft/Hard Adjustable.

Brakes
1.Stock Integra DC2 Type R Disc Brakes and Calipers

2.Steel Braided Piping

Rims
Some lightweight 15" or 16" rims. Not too sure which one to get. Spoons are really hard to get in Malaysia + They're no more in production. Any suggestions?

Tyres
205 width, 50mm thick. Can these fit in my Stock EG9 cambers?

Car Color Scheme
Metallic Black being the dominant color with some hints of silver and red. Think a Contrasted white Integra Type R.

Will keep u guys posted on the project. Any suggestions will be welcome!

the stock b16 cams are the worst b-series cam.. at least go with GSR cams or type R cams.. if going w/ type r remember to get the valve springs and retainers also

Newsflash:

I've decided to go for a B18C swap. trading in the B16A. Anyway, sent my ride in and it should be done by tomorrow. Will upload pictures.

There are a few things I'm confused about though, the halfcut came with a few goodies and I'm not sure whether they are good. Here's the list and maybe you guys can give some pointers. I've read reviews all over. Just need some tips from people who really use them (if you happen to have them). Here's the list:

1.A set of adjustable coilovers. Brand: Zeal, engraved on it: Made in Japan. Anyone using this particular brand? How would you guys rate them?

2.A set of Integra DC2 Type R disc brakes (5 lugs). Besides appearance, are there any performance-related benefits 5 lug wheels give? The mechanic that's doing the swap told me something about 5 lug wheel bearings (specifically the integra ones) are really hard to come by and are expensive. Is this true?

Some stuff to brag about hehehe:

The halfcut also came with a EK6 Type R momo steering! SWEETNESS! Mechanic's giving me an EG6 front bumper - gonna be a while till this is installed though. Rims are next then the paintjob.

hello again!

After being busy for the past few months I've finally made time to post a reply as to what's been going on.

Well, I've done the swap. Right now my ride is with a B18C Type R heart. Changed the shocks and brakes and got myself a used set of Rays' Grams Light 15" rims. Changed the tranny to an LSD 5-speed manual gearbox.

Now that all is set, I'm thinking about the final touching up of the car. I've got myself the JDM front lip but I'm still missing the spoiler, rear lights and front lights. I'm also having a very uncomfortable ride since I installed the shocks (which I expected) but I've been wondering...I've sat in my friend's Mitsubishi Evo 7.5 and Mazda RX8 and they both have racing shocks installed. The comfort difference is well , phenomenal. Am I missing something? I've adjusted the shocks to the lightest intensity but still I'm feeling each. and. every. bump/hole/rock. vibrating from my buttocks up to my spine.

I've done some reading and came across something called dampers - rubber things that you install between your shocks and your car chassis. Alas, I couldnt find any dampers that are made for honda EGs. Perhaps you guys might know...I am in need of enlightenment! Oh yeah, one more question. My car produces an electronic-ish wheezing sound whenever I rev the car...i think I've identified the source to be the speakers. Could there be a wiring problem? Note: the wheezing sound occurs even when I turn off the car stereo.

Last edited:
Back