Burning Oil and Smoking After Rebuild - DA9 - B18A1 ... HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Paul90

I picked up a 1990 Integra GS 3DR CPE awhile back to modify and restore.

Per the previous owner, the engine (B18A1) (KL 5MT) was rebuilt in July 2010 with the following components, :

* JDM Integra Type R (ITR) Pistons
* JDM Integra Type R (ITR) Crank
* ARP Head Bolts
* ARP Rod Bolts

The problem is ...

It smokes on hard acceleration (light gray smoke ... oil control rings did not seat properly?) and I have *dry* black soot on the exhaust tips (running too rich?).

I'm using premium gas (91 Octane). The fuel filter is new, the PCV system and O2 sensor are functioning normally. An oil change w/filter was done 2 weeks ago.

Question,

* How long should it take for the oil control rings to seat after a rebuild?

* How many miles should it take to break-in a rebuilt engine?

* How is the fuel mixture controlled?

* Is the vehicle being damaged by driving it in this condition (burning oil ... oil control ring not seated properly)?

If it is determined after the leakdown test that it's the oil control rings, I'll need a competent engine re-builder to crack it open to take a look.
Right now I don't have the facilities to attempt it and the original re-builder has retired to New Mexico and is not available to do the work.

I'd appreciate recommendations to shops in the Los Angeles area for the teardown and reassembly. I am located in Culver City, CA 90230.

Thanks, Paul

Maybe it was installed upside down. Or the oil ring didn't seat properly. July 2010 is enought time for it to break in....What kind of oil are you using. Synthetic oil could prevent it from seating. Use thicker oil 10- 30 or 10-40. It worked for me.

It's been 2,446 miles since the rebuild. I think it's running rich because they borked the programming (performance tuning) of the ECU after the rebuild.

I don't have compression or leakdown numbers yet, still looking for a shop to do the testing.

I'm using Kendall GT-1 ™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30

Back