buy or rebuild? ideas help wanted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reaperman63

ok i have an ls vtec swapped 94 del sol and the engine is on its last leg and i have a turbo kit for the engine that i havent put on yet and i want to know what you guys think i should do... spend the time and money to rebuild the engine or order one? i can get a Fully Blueprinted b18a/b Short Block, Forged 2618 Pistons from Wiseco, Billet Manley H Beam Rods, Honda Crankshaft, ARP Main Studs with stock sleeves, bore of 81.5, stroke of 89, 1.9liters with a CR of 9.0:1 for 2,250.00.... could i rebuild the engine with better aftermarket parts and be cheaper then that? ive never really played with a honda engine before but i have rebuild chevy and dodge v8 engines so i think i would beable to do the work myself but if it would cost me the same to rebuild it i might as well save myself the time and just buy the built block....

What are your power goals for your car? $2.25k seems reasonable for that setup fully assembled. You will be able to do it cheaper by assembling yourself and opting for less premium parts.

im not sure about my power goal.... 250-300 would be nice... i just want something thats going to be fast when i want to play but i can still drive it around all day... and i dont like the idea of going with the less premium parts... you know if im going to take the time to rebuild it i want it to last and be fast. But before i go and rebuild it im looking at getting an intake manifold and bigger throttle body any ideas on a good one?

Build it yourself. It'll save you money. And you can save even more by going with a oem LS piston. They're not forged but have been proven to stand up to 300hp countless times. Plus they're low enough compression that you can run a decent amount off boost safely.

Back