cable vursus hydo

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
It's just how the transmission activates the clutch... I personally like hydraulic transmissions better, but just get the one that matches your car's layout and you'll be good to go.

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
It's in as much debate as which motor oil to use. I like hydro trannies, my old roomie lsvtec likes cable. I think it depends on what you've driven most and are most used to.

D See 2

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Dec 20 2002, 09:45 AM
...I think it depends on what you've driven most and are most used to.

exactly right, i've always used a cable tranny and when i drive my friends del sol with a hydro tranny, i always tell him i like mine better. but it all comes down to personal preference.

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
I like the cable better because you don't get the feedback through the hydro system that you do through the cable. IMO slipping a clutch is easier on a cable than a hydro. But get the one that matches your car, don't convert the chassis.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
I actually like my hydraulic more than my girlfriend's cable tranny... but like we've said before- it's all personal preference.

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
See, I disagree. You can't feel when the clutch engages with a hydro like you can with cable. Plus I don't have to fill a 2nd master cylinder or replace it when it goes bad. Clutch cables are cheap. :)

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Originally posted by lsvtec@Dec 20 2002, 04:29 PM
See, I disagree. You can't feel when the clutch engages with a hydro like you can with cable. Plus I don't have to fill a 2nd master cylinder or replace it when it goes bad. Clutch cables are cheap. :)

Very true on the maintenance and cost side of things... but I feel the engagement quite well with my hydro setup, and Katie's cable clutch is just really hard to control compared to mine.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Who makes the clutch? Stage doesn't mean crap on its own... it's just how a particular manufacturer will decide to label their product. A stage 3 clutch will typically be more aggressive than a stage 2 of the same brand though, so get your info about it first, then decide.