Cafe Racer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dveit

VIP
Since I sold my Ninja, I've been thinking about picking up an old 70-80s Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki and starting a Cafe Racer project. I've always been attracted to them and it would make the perfect commuter for my short ride to work. Seems that the Honda CB350/360/450/750 are the most common but looks like its been done with almost any bike during that timeframe.

Have any of y'all done a Cafe project? I was able to dig up wildbillhatchbac's build thread and there's some good stuff in there. Was wondering if anyone else out there had a build thread or some good advice for me.

Last edited:
I've got a 76 XS500 for a cafe racer project, I think I can dig up a pic or two. So far I've only added clubman bars to it, and it needs brakes, and wheel bearings to be in operable form. I plan on using another gas tank to create the shape for the tailpiece. I would look up parts prices, for whatever you're looking into getting, because I found that my rotors are 200 a piece. Each. For one. Luckily I just need pads. Clip on clubmans actually went a long way with how the bike handled. If you're going for the cafe racer look, the old lotus motto comes to mind. Simplify, then add lightness. Anything you can do without? Garbage. Anything you need? Hide it. Much like doing a wire tuck or something similar, you'll have to do without, but you want it to look like nothing was ever there to begin with. Like the bike has no wires, no battery, no excess body panels. More frame visible is always better. Here's mine:

317750_278179335534764_1847663879_n.jpg

308268_278179865534711_1694873085_n.jpg

goldwingbobber.jpg

Started out as a Honda Gold Wing. Now it's somewhere between a bobber and a cafe racer. Best part? I bet there is less than $3k, maybe even $2k, in this bike. Old GWs are cheap and available with some decent sized motors.

Last edited:
Back