Call of Duty: Ghosts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
So, predictably, a new CoD will be released in November, and it's being developed by Infinity Ward.

Surprisingly though, it's NOT Modern Warfare 4. Instead it will be called "Ghosts" (possibly about the "Ghost" character from MW2?). Details here:

Call of Duty: Ghosts Officially Revealed - IGN

And even more surprisingly, this game will supposedly run on a new engine instead of that old-ass Quake 3 engine that they've been using since 2005!

cb352717_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

Not even sure if I will be picking this one up. I have yet to pick up Black Ops 2. However, if the engine is updated enough and the game play brings something new I might be convinced to pick it up for the 720. Which might be why the engine has been updated. Can't be running last gen engine with next gen consoles or some such.

Yeah, the full reveal is coming on May 21st, same day as the Xbox unveiling, so I'm sure that this will be a launch title for the new consoles. And yeah, I think that's why they're updating to a new engine. I'm just wondering if it will still feel like CoD on a new engine though...

I am certain they will try to retain the CoD "feel" to the game. That's what keeps people coming back for more - fast gameplay with a slightly arcade-ish feel. I'm willing to bet that the new engine will be simply gearing the game towards the 720 platform whilst adding some improvements in the graphics and physics aspects of the game.

It seems kind of strange to me that Microsoft is using CoD as part of their Xbox reveal. I mean, in one way it totally makes sense because CoD obviously sells big time, but in another way it's worrisome because it may indicate that MS doesn't have nearly as much to offer in terms of interesting exclusive titles.

I think that you're going to see much better parity in the quality of multi-platform titles in the next-gen consoles. Sony screwed themselves last time by going with that custom Cell processor because it was hard to program for. Everybody just built their games for 360 and then ported them over to the PS3 and sometimes they ended up being inferior.

They're using a lot more off-the-shelf PC type stuff in the PS4 though, so that problem should be eliminated. I'm already reading articles where developers are saying that much more development on third party titles will likely be done on PS4 than was done on the PS3. It will be interesting to see how the next console war will play out...

Last edited:
They're using a lot more off-the-shelf PC type stuff in the PS4 though, so that problem should be eliminated. I'm already reading articles where developers are saying that much more development on third party titles will likely be done on PS4 than was done on the PS3. It will be interesting to see how the next console war will play out...

Did you check out the big 2 hour PS4 reveal? x86 CPU, 8GB of DDR5 RAM, a secondary CPU for background processing, uploading and downloading, real-time spectating of friends. All I gotta say is Microsoft needs to pull something insane out of their ass, and if the "720" doesn't have bluray then it might as well not even come out. Though it may since it seems I heard it has no backwards compatibility with previous version games. Oh and Bungi's new game is coming out as a PS4 exclusive, uh-oh.

PlayStation 4 PS4 Announcement Live Stream Replay HD - YouTube

Xbox 720 Specs

In January of this year, VGLeaks, published what it claims were technical specifications of the next-gen Xbox console, originally leaked under the codename Project Durango.

According to the information published on the site - and this is by no means official - the next Xbox will be powered by an 8-core CPU running at 1.6GHz, alongside 8GB of DDR RAM.

The machine also boasts a custom 800-MHz graphics processor, which "can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second".

The console also contains 8GB of RAM and a Blu-ray disc drive, which can read 50GB discs, 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM, as far as its connectivity goes, it has Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct networking.

The full 'leaked' specs are as follows:

CPU:
- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:
- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:
- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:
- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

im personally looking forward too next gen consoles too see what they bring too the table, but all in all, still isnt going too touch my almost year old rig, pc > console all day, I cant wait too see the new COD engine side note
67303_10151483145451100_232099465_n.jpg

im personally looking forward too next gen consoles too see what they bring too the table, but all in all, still isnt going too touch my almost year old rig, pc > console all day, I cant wait too see the new COD engine side note

I seriously doubt that it will really be a "new" engine. More than likely they just mean "new to CoD engine". I wouldn't be surprised if it was id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) actually. It would make sense because the current CoD engine is based on id Tech 3 and Raven Software is now under Activision and associated with CoD (they built most of the DLC maps for MW3) and they've got a long history of working with id engines.

I'd be really surprised if it was something more standard like Unreal. I'd also be really surprised if they jumped all the way up to id Tech 5. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

I seriously doubt that it will really be a "new" engine. More than likely they just mean "new to CoD engine". I wouldn't be surprised if it was id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) actually. It would make sense because the current CoD engine is based on id Tech 3 and Raven Software is now under Activision and associated with CoD (they built most of the DLC maps for MW3) and they've got a long history of working with id engines.

I'd be really surprised if it was something more standard like Unreal. I'd also be really surprised if they jumped all the way up to id Tech 5. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Rumor has it that they are using a engine of their own on next gen consoles

Rumor has it that they are using a engine of their own on next gen consoles

Yeah, I dunno about that. The game is also coming out for 360 and PS3, so it's got to be something that they can scale to use on multiple platforms...well, unless they're building a completely different version for the next-gen consoles. I doubt they'll do that though, lol. Activision is lazy as shit. They want a new CoD on the shelves every November...

Yeah, but is your Veloster packing a 220 hp Yamaha V6???

Yeah, didn't think so...

lol my gaming rig isnt anything amazing, but I like it, it performs great

i7-3770k
ASUS P8-Z77-LK Mobo
2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM
Corsair TX650w PSU
ASUS 560 DCII GPU
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cooler
CoolerMaster HAF 922 + extra 200mm fan
i7 is running at 4.2Ghz

307354_10150353070016100_1212215860_n.jpg

Did you check out the big 2 hour PS4 reveal? x86 CPU, 8GB of DDR5 RAM, a secondary CPU for background processing, uploading and downloading, real-time spectating of friends. All I gotta say is Microsoft needs to pull something insane out of their ass, and if the "720" doesn't have bluray then it might as well not even come out. Though it may since it seems I heard it has no backwards compatibility with previous version games. Oh and Bungi's new game is coming out as a PS4 exclusive, uh-oh.

PlayStation 4 PS4 Announcement Live Stream Replay HD - YouTube

Destiny is going to be on both the PS3 and 360. If they snub the next gen xbox Bungie can go to hell. Xbox users made them. I suspect they will announce during the event on the 21st.

Destiny is going to be on both the PS3 and 360. If they snub the next gen xbox Bungie can go to hell. Xbox users made them. I suspect they will announce during the event on the 21st.

Yea I remembered it wrong it's exclusive content for Destiny for the PS4.

Did anyone buy this shiz? I pre-ordered it a while back but haven't picked it up yet...

negative...
i think i'm skipping the COD offering this year.
I have gta to keep me entertained for a while, and i'm trying to focus more time away from the couch-tv area.

Back