Cam gear key broke with cam shaft

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smoothekang

Just recently took off the cam gear to determine if there was a prob with the car. Did everything in the book to check to see if the timing was off or so. Now taking it apart the woodroff key was broke on the cam gear and shaft. Would this be considered a junk motor? Or can i still replace this and have a working engine. Any info would be appreciated. thx

well you more than likely bent valves but the bottom end is probably ok overall... it depends though, only one way to find out. take it apart

How far did the gear spin on the cam?

yeah, if it was still 'locked in place' even with the key broken, it should be ok. if it was completely missing, that's a whole other ball game.

if its a dual cam, you're a little safer... you only have one side to check most likely, and odds are the belt kept everything rotating properly from the good cam.

if its a single cam, who knows what could ahve happened.

pull some valves and find out.

The car was running at one point then cut off and had to be towed, The cam had a 45 degree broken off, the cam shaft was about the same i was just hoping that when it broke it didnt damage anything else.

The cam had a 45 degree broken off, the cam shaft was about the same i was just hoping that when it broke it didnt damage anything else.

I dont nderstand. What was the relationship between the cam and the gear? Did it look like the gear turned seperatly from the cam or did it look like it didnt move at all?

The car was running at one point then cut off and had to be towed, The cam had a 45 degree broken off, the cam shaft was about the same i was just hoping that when it broke it didnt damage anything else.

Hes making my head hurt:mad: lmao

well both cam and shaft looks as if both seem to broke at the same spot at the same time. iono not sure if that helped..

This Thread Is Worthless WithOut Pictures:ph34r:. A picture really does tell a thousand words. Especially in your case where it is tough to convey in words what the problem is.

I hope these pics help

camgear.jpg

camshaft2.jpg

camshaft.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww352/SmootheKang/camgear.jpg

Ahh the pics make it much easier to see what happened. You're going to need a new cam and camgear. Looks like the key sheared apart, and fucked everything. That sucks. You should be able to replace thoes pretty easily- stock d-series stuff is pretty inexpensive.

Looks like it spun quite a bit. Id take the head off and check everything out.

of course this is not good but would it be wise for me just to change the cam and shaft? Or better yet just find another engine. I guess it wont hurt to try eh?

of course this is not good but would it be wise for me just to change the cam and shaft? Or better yet just find another engine. I guess it wont hurt to try eh?

It would be wise to take the head off and inspect what you have.

Back