Camber Kits (again)

• SPC Performanc

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
So I'm looking into camber kits, I was gonna go with skunk2 but they don't make em for my car.

So if you were gonna be doin a camber kit on your 91 CRX w/ the car lowered only 2" what kit would you use. and why

I've looked at the Ingalls
CRX Front Camber Kit p/n 3570
3571clipped.jpg

Or the SPC Performance Kit (basically an adjustable ball joint)
CRX SPC Font Camber Kit p/n 67125
67125.jpg

The ingalls kit is kinda lame. That is what I am running. If the moron at Firestone moves one of the two peices more than the other on one side of the car your tracking is all fucked up. My car follows the contour of the road so much that the paint on a street can pull the steering wheel some.

I installed my ingalls and have had no problems with them! Just make sure everything is tight and get an alignment when its installed.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 4 2002, 05:29 PM
The ingalls kit is kinda lame. That is what I am running. If the moron at Firestone moves one of the two peices more than the other on one side of the car your tracking is all fucked up. My car follows the contour of the road so much that the paint on a street can pull the steering wheel some.

my car pulls the same way... at 80 on the highway, i literally have to hold on.
and i have no caber kit.... *shrug*

i recommend the skunk 2 camber kit. forget both of those.
and i bet jason could hook it up for the $$$ on it-- alljdm.com

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 4 2002, 06:13 PM-->
my car pulls the same way... at 80 on the highway, i literally have to hold on. and i have no caber kit.... *shrug*

i recommend the skunk 2 camber kit. forget both of those.
and i bet jason could hook it up for the $$$ on it-- alljdm.com
CRX_YEM
@Oct 4 2002, 02:05 PM
I was gonna go with skunk2 but they don't make em for my car.

I already thought of that. Skunk2 doesn't make a kit for the 91 CRX

Sprint makes a kit like the Skunk2 that fits the Gen 2 tegs, you might want to check and see if it will fit you car.

I have the Sprint kit. It really screws up your alignment when you install it, so I don't know how normal driving will be. I haven't aligned it yet since it isn't moving from the driveway for another week.

Any kit that you install yourself without a camber gauge and/or a toe gauge is going to hose your alignment. Get a shop to set it and you will be fine.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 7 2002, 12:43 PM
Any kit that you install yourself without a camber gauge and/or a toe gauge is going to hose your alignment. Get a shop to set it and you will be fine.

obviously.
but that info doesn't help me in what style of camber kit is better in design than the other

I reccomend a movable ball joint. Read the editorial by Dave Coleman a few months back about the "Dave" Point. The ingalls kit allows you to push one of the two mount points out a little farther than the other so your upper ball joint moves forward or back depending on which one is out farther. This will make the cars tracking really off. Get the SPC or see if Sprint makes one for your car. Don't get a kit that replaces the upper a arm mounts.

The Ingalls kit is a movable mount that replaces your upper arm mounts similar to the Progress kit for the 92-95...

Ingalls:

3571assemblyline_copy.gif

The SPC kit replaces the ball joint between the "wishbone" and the upper control arm...

67125ill.jpg

Durability:

The Ingalls and the SPC kit will experience similar forces... they both replace supporting joints in the suspension system. Since the Ingalls kit replaces 2 joints, while the SPC kit replaces only one (both using one side as an example), common sense dictates that from the perspective of strength. This assumes that you may be introducing a weaker component into your system, so you want to play in the area that has less loading... assuming both areas are loaded equally.

Confused yet? Or are you following my jumbled line of thought? ...

Which area is more 'stressful'?

I think the ball joint (SPC) is more stressed than the upper arm pivot (Ingalls). The ball joint must translate the sudden and rapid vertical movement of the wheel into a circular motion, and it must help support the wishbone/hub. The upper arm pivots must just support the arm structure- the main forces in the area of the pivot are absorbed by the ball joint and the shock absorber. There's likely less shock experienced by the area that the Ingalls kit replaces, so it'll probably last longer than the SPC kit.

The Ingalls kit will probably experience less stress than the SPC kit.

Adjustability:

Both the SPC and the Ingalls kit appear to be infinitely adjustable, from what I can see in the pictures. Unless there are notches or something that allows you adjust the Ingalls kit in discrete steps, I think it would be a pain in the ass to set up, and to adjust later. You have to make sure that both mounts on one side of the car are exactly the same- otherwise your upper arm will be mounted at an angle, and you'll get some funny caster and toe settings introduced to your system. On the other hand, if you want to force adjust your caster and toe with this, you probably could... although it wouldn't be a good idea. If the Ingalls kit is NOT infinitely adjustable, then it will probably be easier to use. With a setup like this, I would prefer to have a kit that only allowed you to have 4-5 settings- this way you can ensure that both mounts are set the same way. If once comes loose with an infinitely adjustable system, it's time to have some real fun...

On the other hand, the SPC kit only has one mount per side, so you don't have to worry about symmetry across two mounts at each wheel... just get the camber set the way you want it, then tighten it down. No matching required.

The SPC kit should be easier to adjust.

Of course, if the Ingalls allows you to adjust by finite increments, this doesn't matter.

Clearance:

The Ingalls kit 'pushes' the upper control arms towards the outer edge of the car, while the SPC kit only moves the top of the wishbone out. Some people have had issues with the upper control arm mount kits, in the form of the end of the arm getting hung up in the fender well under heavy compression. You won't have this problem unless you're correcting a LOT of camber, but I'd check your inner fender clearance just in case. My Progress kit only moved the arm about 1/2" out to correct -1.8 degrees of camber, so if the CRX's suspension geometry is similar, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're correcting something like -3 or -4 degrees, then you might have a problem. The SPC kit should have fewer clearance issues... but this is assuming that you'll have any problems like that at all.

Another kit you might want to look into is the Progress kit:

Pivot-Mount-Camber-K.jpg

It's the same setup as the Ingalls kit, but it allows for discrete adjustment of the camber. No guessing required- just set it to correct a certain amount, then bolt it all in. I had one on my car before I nabbed a Skunk2 kit real cheap, and I was really happy with it.

One thing I would always be worried about with an infinitely adjustable camber kit is slippage... usually all that's holding your camber setting stable is friction between a bolt and a plate- and I think that's how the Ingalls and SPC kits work (from these pictures). Since the Progress kit isn't adjustable, you wouldn't have that problem. Check it out:

www.progressauto.com

Well, there ya go... you asked for help- hopefully this doesn't muddle your brain too much. Keep in mind that this is all theoretic brain spew from yours truly, not info drawn from playing around with actual kits. I've never messed with an Ingalls or SPC camber kit- remember that.

I asked, because I know you have a ME background, and these are the types of answers I was looking for. I kinda thought about adjustability but it didn't dawn on me about a kit that is indefinitely adjustable and how much of a bitch that could be to set up. So looks like I've got some Q's to ask the manufactures before I make a better educated decision.

Thanks for the help

Sure thing. Inifinite adjustability is nice, but it will be harder to set up. How much, I can't really say. The Progress kit was real nice and easy though- bolt it in, verfiy that the camber was at 0 degrees, then forget about it forever. I have the Skunk2 on mine, and it's not too bad- but then again, there is no way the Skunk2 (upper arm replacement) can shift in any direction but for camber adjustment. You don't have to try and 'match' two mounts on the same side. I do know that the guy who does my alignment always ends up cursing my suspension setup:

1. Set toe
2. Set camber
3. Set caster
4. Check all settings
5. "FUCK!"
6. Do it again, since changing one of the three always throws the other two off a bit...

Anything else, just ask/PM again.

thats a really good write up. i've got the ingalls kit, but my setup is a lot diff from the integras and civics...it has been working good so far, no camber wear on a 2 inch drop...yet.

Originally posted by kyle h.@Oct 15 2002, 12:46 PM
thats a really good write up. i've got the ingalls kit, but my setup is a lot diff from the integras and civics...it has been working good so far, no camber wear on a 2 inch drop...yet.

Thanks, I try. :D

The Ingalls kit should still be good- lots of people use it, and a quite a few swear by it. I'll stick to my Skunk2 up front and my washers in the back.

:worthy: Hey this post really helped me out alot, well written by Calesta. i see alot of ?'s on camber kits, you covered it all! everyone should read this thread who lowered their civic (99% of us)!

Originally posted by teal_dx@Jan 6 2003, 10:42 PM
:worthy: Hey this post really helped me out alot, well written by Calesta. i see alot of ?'s on camber kits, you covered it all! everyone should read this thread who lowered their civic (99% of us)!

Thanks buddy. :) I totally forgot about this post...

Back