cams in 200whp ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

S13 Slide

alright, for those people who were able to get atleast 200whp in their ls/vtec set up. what cams did you use? btw right now i have the b16 pr3 pistons and im going to use a b16 head with stock headgasket. my goal would be 200whp. i know im going to need head work and some port matching but i'd just like to know which cams are up to the job. thanks

is this monster going to be streetable?? if not.. skunk stage 3's , jun stage 3's...

my friend has an ls/vtec that put down 180 with CTR cams... on stock LS internals too. he was a homo and didn't build it right.. he had somebody do it, and paid too much...

With B16 pistons and CTR cams with some gear tuning you should be close to 200. I assume you have an aftermarket header. If that setup doesn't get you there then add a Skunk2 IM that should do it.

yeah i'd like to have it somewhat streetable, im going with a 4-1 header w/ 2.5 collector and a skunk2 or itr manafold. so the ctr's would be able to do the job? i'd like to be over 200whp but id figure that would be a realistic goal. what about aftermarket cams? and i already have my ls block built. tried the all motor ls, with crower 404's. kinda ruff driving under 3k. thats why not the stroker kit. thanks

i say get the skunk2 stage 2's, from what i hear, they are the best for their money... remember to get their springs and retainers and sprockets too :)

I'm only making 185whp, but that's with an all stock B16 head on a B20 block. The head is basically choking the engine. My shop made 265whp on a B20/VTEC with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, some crazy head work, and good tuning. I'm not tuned to 100%, so there's power left as is- but with any set of aftermarket cams I'd easily be well over 200whp.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 16 2002, 02:58 PM
I'm only making 185whp, but that's with an all stock B16 head on a B20 block. The head is basically choking the engine. My shop made 265whp on a B20/VTEC with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, some crazy head work, and good tuning. I'm not tuned to 100%, so there's power left as is- but with any set of aftermarket cams I'd easily be well over 200whp.

what on earth are you waiting for??? i'd take out a loan to finish that :D

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 16 2002, 05:58 PM

whats parts are you using in your block? what comp? thanks

Originally posted by B16+Oct 16 2002, 06:01 PM-->
what on earth are you waiting for??? i'd take out a loan to finish that :D

I'm looking at realistically $4000 or so to 'finish' my setup. I still have some debt to pay off, plus I don't have the time to do it right now... so I'm not. Not yet. Phillip's bottom end is identical to mine save the crank girdle (I don't have one), so I should be able to make similar power with the same head setup. He said he still had some power to gain, and that 265whp was with a 3 foot straight pipe in place of cat/exhaust, so I'm hoping I can get 250whp out of mine.

pissedoffsol
@Oct 16 2002, 06:48 PM
click the link in his sig.....

Thanks Brian.

There's actually a correction that I need to make on that page- I'm running 12.6:1 compression, not 12.5:1. I finally got the numbers I needed from Endyn and did the calculations myself... 12.6 is the actual compression.

Originally posted by B16@Oct 16 2002, 07:26 PM
calesta, that is one mean motor man, i'm jealous ;)

You can have one too for not too much money. :D

Originally posted by knowledge@Oct 17 2002, 05:08 AM
Ill stick with boost! Less money and higher HP gains.

Actually more money, the way I want to do it.

True. If I was you calesta then I would stay N/A. But for a guy with a stock motor and nothing done to it yet I say it is cheaper to turbo it. Plus you would get quicker results from it that going N/A.

Yup. If I already had a D16 SOHC VTEC in there, I would have just dropped a turbo on it, and that probably would have been it. Since I had a POS D15B7 in there, it had to come out... and it's a little expensive to drop a B series in and turbo at the same time.

Back