Can A D15 Be Built - At All?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigdaddyIII

okay guys...newbie in the house. my guitarists gf is gonna sell me her dx 4dr for 200 bux. im gonna do some body work and make it look alright, but i need to know if theres anything i can do to the ubertiny d15 to make it a little snappier. im not gonna be really racin this thing (at least thats what im saying now), but using it as a commuter for work, so i really dont need to fly. any help would be greatly appreciated.

what yr? You can do a mini-me.

you will need a z6 head, z6 IM, p28 ecu, dor a little wiring, vtec timing belt of the yr of the head, and you can use a y8 head gasket for a little more compression (which is a little more power).

if it is an 88-91, then you can do an MPFIswap with an si cam and aftermarket cam gear. if it is a 5ht gen or later, then i would say mini me... My MPFI swap ran me less than 200 bucks..

How about Intake/Header/Exhaust which will give you about 100 measured wheel horsepower and then go from there to the way more complex mini-me set up. But remember stock EX with SOHC Vtec only make about 105 hp to the wheels. So with minor bolt ons you can be right there and then slap the mini me and be well above that. Has anyone dynoed just a mini me swap without bolt ons?? Im all about the DX man. Wooohooo!! :D

its a gen 5, and i dont particularly think im ready for a swap out just yet. i think b16 is the way to go, but i need to get some more scratch together. what is mini me?

mini me is basically taking a head from a SOHC Vtec (d16z6 in your case) and putting it in a nonvtec block (your d15*whatever). it isn't real compicated either and you get like 25-30 more hp. if you switch trannies to either an ex or si you get much better gearing and you lose like .000001 mpg.

The mini-me is a bolt on affair... the b-series "frankenstiens" are NOT bolt ons affairs.. but the d-series is.

btw, is a d15b7 saturn_boy (just some info for ya)

A b16sir2 will run around 3k total to put into your car.

bigdaddyIII don't even waste your money on that "mini me" crab . take my advice save up for a gsr or ls engine. if considering ls, invest also in a b16 head and hook up the vtec you'll be very happy. then later you can boost it and be getting at least 250hp at the wheels.

Originally posted by Civ93@Apr 7 2003, 10:59 PM
bigdaddyIII don't even waste your money on that "mini me" crab . take my advice save up for a gsr or ls engine. if considering ls, invest also in a b16 head and hook up the vtec you'll be very happy. then later you can boost it and be getting at least 250hp at the wheels.

mini-me crap? Why dont you step off the bandwagon and listen to what HE wants, not you. He just wants something a little "peppier". I know acouple of d-series that would put a b16 with bolt ons to shame.

Id do a mini-me since you aren't out to race, even if you were, why follow everyone? build something different.

Also, why should he invest into a ls and then into a b16 head? lsvtec isn't worth it unless you HAVE an LS already.

Bolt on's first. If you still aren't happy then mini me and EX tranny. This should put you well into the 15's and maybe even 14s with proper race set up. Isn't that what we all want, a good quick car with minimal expense? Not everyone wants or needs to run 12's. I would be in jail by now if I could go triple digit speeds in 1/4 mile. haha :lol:

Domeskilla are you in VA yet?? If so how is the west end treating you? Have you done a mini-me yet? If so when are you gonna come down to the bottom and help me with mine??

you're probably right about a d15 putting a b16 to shame. with simple bolt-ons you only get 10-15 hp gain. so now that's what 155hp to the wheels. of coarse d15's can put b16's to shame with simple bolt-on's. you must be one of those people that think simple bolt-ons will dramatically increase horsepower i bet those d15's won;t do that to a gsr

Mmmmmm cold air intakes hahah :) Big power gains. It was funny when I dynoed my DX i was putting 96 lb ft of torque to the wheels and then a b16a crx went next and put only 101 lb ft down. Of course my 100 whp compared to his 140ish made all the difference in the world and his super light curb weight compared to the sedan kills any chance for me winning a race. But the GSR is a whole different world. 1.8 torque monster. Well not compared to a b20 but still, or even an h22. The point is there will always be a better combo he could go with, but limited budgets equal limited time slips and wheel horsepower.

hey, thanks guys! this gives me some really good ideas. i was thinking about bolt ons too. what names do you guys find work best? ive heard a LOT about skunk2, mugen, dc, and apexi, but i think theyre a little steep. ive also heard rs akimoto has the best ram intake setup. i want a decent part at a really low price. anybody near north iowa?

Originally posted by Civ93@Apr 7 2003, 11:20 PM
you're probably right about a d15 putting a b16 to shame. with simple bolt-ons you only get 10-15 hp gain. so now that's what 155hp to the wheels. of coarse d15's can put b16's to shame with simple bolt-on's. you must be one of those people that think simple bolt-ons will dramatically increase horsepower i bet those d15's won;t do that to a gsr

Nope.. try again.

Unfortunately no one lives in IOWA haha, jk. Let's see. You get what you pay for.
AEM V-2, DC Sport Header, World SPort Exhaust.
or for the budget racer
HotShot knock off intake, Chikara header, and tenzo rear bolt on exhaust. I made 100 whp with that set up but Im changing every damn part of it. Should have bought it right the first time. I just picked up a used DC header for 175. So deals are out there...just keep looking, just not in IOWA, :D

Originally posted by caeaves@Apr 7 2003, 11:14 PM
Domeskilla are you in VA yet?? If so how is the west end treating you? Have you done a mini-me yet? If so when are you gonna come down to the bottom and help me with mine??

I'm not there.. i pulled my money out of ITT and put it into the one in Richardson, TX. Some rent problems forced me to go semilocally.. (they threaten to not pay if i moved.)

Honda Tech just went over their Homadeturbo.com type install in the issue that is still on the stands. It made good power for a few hundred bucks (double this for real life). I was really surprised at the torque though. Anyway, this is cheaper than a good header, intake and exhaust. And made more wheel HP and Torque than a GSR swap. All out of a little 1.5. :D

Well I guess that means they love you and dont want to see you go. But at least they are paying for it, you cant beat that at all. Richmond isnt that great. Ive been broken into twice in 6 months here. Im out of here when the lease is up, if not sooner. Going north for the last time, Fredericksburg here I come.

Back