canards

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Ive noticed, lots of NSXs and RX7s(race spec) have front canards. just wondering; why dont much people use them on FWD cars if it would create downforce on the drive wheels? ive seen people use mainly air dams only(and sometime a combination of air dam with splitter). do the air dams work better and is there a drawback to using canards? so far, the only FWD ive seen that use them are some Celicas(mainly ricers though).

i think the benefits of canards are minimal at best...

mostly for looks unless you're pull a salt flats 200+mph run...

Yeah, even a rear spoiler doesn't start adding good useable downforce untill around 80mph..

I believe canards aren't so much for immediate downforce, but they affect how the air flows down the side of the car.. In that area around the front of the fender/bumper, air tends to tumble.. and it looks as though canards would straighten that out, making for better aerodynamics.

Its an edjucated guess.. thats about it. I've never studied canards, but have studied aerodynamics.

kanards = teh suck. they are for posers, theres no street car that needs them.

Actually, I have read some threads on H-T in teh past of guys using them, and talking about it shaving times on road courses, now, if this were attributed to the canards or just a better run, well, who knows. The was saying it was a pretty consistant gain though.

now, what is a canard? or kanard. a pic would be better than an explanation. i know what splitters are though, are they like them only bigger?

Pretty much the same damn thing as side splitters.
thmb_photo_canard_civic1.jpg

aprcanard.jpg

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 26 2005, 04:42 PM
Actually, I have read some threads on H-T in teh past of guys using them, and talking about it shaving times on road courses, now, if this were attributed to the canards or just a better run, well, who knows. The was saying it was a pretty consistant gain though.
[post=531482]Quoted post[/post]​

canards are usually only used in conjunction with a splitter
basicly the whole setup acts as a spoiler for the front end
reduced lift
greater stability
greater traction

just like wings they can be functional on any variety of FF, FR, MR, RR cars but they need to be adjusted properly or they will do more harm than good

Back