can't get wax to stay on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondasaurus

is it just me? i have an 87 crx si, and i can't get wax to stay on the hood, roof, and metal parts of hatch. seems to hold to vertical planes fine (fenders, doors, etc. ) i suck doing it by hand w/ spray and i can't put my plastic car thru an automatic wash. i've used the stalls where you brush and spray it and spray wax it. my wax lasts maybe 2-3 weeks. the paint is already faded on the roof and hatch. black paint if it matters.

Last edited:
i think it might have to do with the clear coat being faded on your car. then the wax wont take as good..... just thought though. :wtf:

from the title i was ready to say you gotta let the stubble grow out some more.

Your paint is faded and hazed by the sun. Its not the wax "not sticking". A fresh coat of wax will brighten it up for a short time, but then you're right back to hazed.

You should look into sanding and polishing the car. Very light, very gentle sanding with 1500 then 2000 grit wet sand paper to shave off a microscopic layer of clear coat, then rubbing compound followed by polishing compound.. followed by a good buff job and a coat of wax, you'll be back in tip top shape again.

Depending of course on the level of fading that we're talking about.

thx. i'll have to get a pic up on the weekend, its usually dark when I leave for work and get home.
it seems the paint is faded but maybe the clear coat is ok, if that makes any sense.
It doesn’t look like any car I’ve seen w/ messed up clear coat. The fading/discoloration is almost a light gray while the rest of the paint is black.
i'll have to try what you've said phyregod. i'm assuming i only have to wet sand, apply rubbing compound and polishing compound once, not every time i wax.

If it is faded that bad then it sounds like the clear coat is all the faded..... But a pic would help.....

hmmm, maybe month ago. pretty warm, didn't need jacket or sweater. never had this happen in cold weather w/ other cars.

then yea like they said. faded paint. maybe its just time for a paintjob. some nice fresh clear coat

If it is faded that bad then it sounds like the clear coat is all the faded..... But a pic would help.....

yea new paint if you are going to get the same color and dont want anything special then"uh oh better get macco"

i do like the red and ivory ones.
was considering flat black on afflicted parts or whole thing, never done that before.
wax not sticking to hood either.

Last edited:
I have seen this 4th gen prelude around town thats all flat black...... Looks mean as hell..... All the rest a ricer ass mexified trash........

if u just want to get the wax to stay my freind says wet sand it and re clear coat the spot and that should work. still have the crappy paint tho? just a thought till u have the money for paint

You should look into sanding and polishing the car. Very light, very gentle sanding with 1500 then 2000 grit wet sand paper to shave off a microscopic layer of clear coat, then rubbing compound followed by polishing compound.. followed by a good buff job and a coat of wax, you'll be back in tip top shape again.

Depending of course on the level of fading that we're talking about.

That works great. I have bought several cars that have set out in the sun or under a pine tree and they looked like crap. After a few good hours between the wet sanding and the rubbing compound they look like totally different cars when your done.

Like you said some are just too far to repair without respraying it.

wax_on_wax_off.jpg

pics
hatch

hood

roof

roof

roof

rest of paint looks good. hood looks pretty good. but roof and hatch, ick.

i need a daniel-san

Last edited:
Back