Car running too cold?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude68

Ok, heres my predicament. I put a b18c1 motor in my car about 4 months ago along w/ a factory gsr radiator and filled it with water until the other day. It has been running just above the C and everything has worked fine....well the other day i drained about 70% of the water out and put in anitfreeze and know it doesnt even move? Since it doesnt warm up I cant get my heat to work decent, my vtec doesnt kick in(b/c of not enough oil pressure) and i can drive it for 30 min. down the highway at apx. 60-70 mph, stop at a red light and it still idles at 1500rpm like it hasnt even cooled up? What could be the problem?

Thanks

not to my knowledge. Like i said it only started running this cold when i put in the anitfreeze. anything else it could be?

you could try putting cardboard over most of rad to see if it helps but I still say check the therm....it takes 10 min

take off the back radiator hose, take out the 2(i think) bolts that hold the fitting in, then pry out the thermo and it should be closed, if not get a new one..... :spin:

that could be my problem, even though my shit idles around 8-900 the heater kinda sucks, i didnt really get to drive it long and use the heat

Thermostsat was my first guess. Your antifreeze should be 50/50. But after 30 min of hwy driving, your car should heat up even without a thermostat. Was this swap stock to stock, are you using stock gauges, checked your wiring...I'm assuming that your fans are not kicking on at any point.

Make sure your head temperature sensor is connected as well. You could have knocked it loose. Its under the distributor and its a One wire sensor. Its real easy to disconnect it.

I had this problem with my swap, and I finally got around to fixing it last weekend. I could go for ever before my car would heat up, and it was a pain in the ass because of my relatively short drives every morning (5mi). Finally I went to Shucks and bought a stock replacement, put it in and now warms up within 1.5-1.75 miles. One thing I noticed when I pulled the old thermostat out was that it was a 78 C thermo, and the stock replacement was an 82 C thermo... Maybe in Japan it's hotter than here so they put cooler Thermos in that don't work well in our cold?

Anyways, just a reminder, you better drain your coolent before you change the thermo, because I forgot to do that, and it made a big mess. Just put a clean drain pan under the opening in the bottom of the radiator, where there's a little wing-nut like thingy, then let it all out. You can reuse it when your done if you do it right. Also, when you put it coolent back in, make sure you use the bleed valve to get all the air out.

OK..i put my new thermo in and it started to warm up. Well, i went into town and the damn thing runs hot! The top hose is getting warm like it is suppose to be but the bottom hose staying cold for some reason and the fan isnt turning on! WHATS THE DEAL?

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 7 2003, 08:09 PM
could be air in the lines

i thought of that and let it run by itself to see if the thermo would open up, but i believe the thermo just isnt opening any so it isnt letting any water to the block?!? could that be it?

take your radiator cap off and start the car. there is a slim chance you are leaking coolant into the cylinder. if water doesnt spout up/out of your radiator you dont have a leak.

you now can have a thermo that isnt opening, or the temperature in which it opens isnt being reached.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 7 2003, 08:15 PM
take your radiator cap off and start the car. there is a slim chance you are leaking coolant into the cylinder. if water doesnt spout up/out of your radiator you dont have a leak.

ive done this and the water just sits there. my factory thermo says 78C and my new one states 82C. could that be the problem?

Did you take the time to read my post, the change in temp doesn't matter at all. Mine runs just fine, and it's no colder here than anywhere else. Like was said eariler, you probably have air in the lines, that could be a problem. Also, when you put the thermo back on the block, did you reconnect the temperature sensor that was originally connected?

Originally posted by Iquark@Dec 7 2003, 08:49 PM
Did you take the time to read my post, the change in temp doesn't matter at all. Mine runs just fine, and it's no colder here than anywhere else. Like was said eariler, you probably have air in the lines, that could be a problem. Also, when you put the thermo back on the block, did you reconnect the temperature sensor that was originally connected?

yes i read the post and yes i put the sensor back on! Like i stated i took off the cap, turned the car on, let it warm up(to see if it would open up to get some water to the block) and the bottom hose stayed cold while the top hose got hot! Fig. that when it opened up that water would flow in so i could put more into my radiator and that would solve the air problem?!?! Am i right or what?

I know this is kind of stupid to ask, and I'm in no way dissing on you skills, but did you put the thermo in the correct way? Also, when you idled the car, how long did it take to get to standard temperature? You said previousily that it was running fine when it was just above the C, but really it should be right in the middle, so where is your definition of hot?

Back